Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:44:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dark and horrid age  (Read 5135 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: Dark and horrid age
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2018, 07:43:51 PM »
Well that sounds like a plan. Besides you got some lochs that connect to the sea yet may well have provided a safe enough place to build a crannog (I'm guessing here but it sounds feasible).

Looking forward to seeing your handi-work.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2018, 06:25:55 AM »
Here are some early shots of the boards.  I've included the sketch I made up on paper initially.  It looks pretty true to form even if it looks pretty awful up to this point.  I have the modules in their two configurations on paper and during the construction.  In the form with the central cliff plateau it could accommodate a watchtower or gangway to the crannog.  With the half cliffs at either end it presents a long beach head.  I'm still working out how I could build docks that could be added to the boards but, I'll leave that one until I actually have finished boards :P .  The last pic is a shot of the WIP for the barrow.  It didn't look too hot in the beginning either.  I've run out of plaster rock so I'm going to have to cast another lot before I can finish adding the rock before I contour it with compound.   

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2018, 11:59:37 AM »
The groundwork is down and there was some strong late afternoon sun the other day so it's almost ready for a basecoat.  I was able to taper the shoreline off of the foamboard edge so hopefully this will introduce some variation between the two halves.

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2018, 08:28:26 PM »
Thanks for encouraging words ...  I also painted him up a daughter.  Along with Aella I also ordered a Guinevere.  I didn't do a great deal of research but hopefully her clothing will pass as 9th century Saxon ...

You sir, have just found me my Valkyrie! Beautiful work, and nice start to the project.

Just placed my order!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2018, 02:04:45 AM »

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2018, 03:03:36 AM »
Glad you found a figure that works for you Nic.  Guinevere is a beautiful choice.  Since I was already using her for one of my earthly types I ended up choosing a Dark Sword figure as a potential valkyrie.  She is certainly more high fantasy but I like her statuesque, otherworldy appearance as a contrast the the realism of the other models. I might not like her as much as the Guen figure though because I still haven't got around to painting her.  I have a couple other mythical figures to add to the mix at some point but my priority for the moment is making a place to have these games I never get around to playing.

Offline DavyJones

• Scientist
    • GlueandDice.com - Adventures in small worlds
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2018, 05:34:21 AM »
Great stuff.  :-*