Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:18:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What A Tanker! So good we did it twice...  (Read 2574 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
What A Tanker! So good we did it twice...
« on: May 31, 2018, 10:41:45 PM »
Enjoyable first game of WAT, which turned into two.
 It was a chance for has.been to use his great new river bought at Hammerhead. The playing area was approx. 4 x 4 feet.

Here I am in my mighty Tiger Tank, coming to liberate a Russian village..where recently smiling peasant children spent many happy hours yoked to their parent's ploughs (the Red Army has requisitioned all the horses)

It looks deserted, but I know there is a T34 somewhere...I roll up to the ford in the river to get a better look

I rotate my slow turret to get a better look

( I am actually unbuttoned, you have to imagine that sorry! . I spot the T34 across the board in his deployment spot! . I have all the needed dice to load and shoot the 88. I score a hit! It is only temporary damage, but it shocks him into action.

The T34 is a fast tank, and he is able to convert a lot of his command dice to movement. He zips across the main village street across my front behind the buildings on the left hand side.

My next turn I cross the ford and wait in ambush. I think he is going to appear from behind the hovels

He changes his mind and crosses the main street again towards his original position.
I have no choice but to play his game of cat and mouse. I rumble down the village street

I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: What A Tanker! So good we did it twice...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 11:06:11 PM »
My opponent has been using his command dice cannily the last two turns  (very Russian of him!) to repair the temporary damage done by my first hit and now has his full 6 command dice back.  He  can use 2 this turn for movement, and also has the right dice to acquire, fire, load and fire again. He gets an 11" movement  which gives him a flanking shot, but he uses the second movement dice to go a few more inches and give himself an even better shot. We both have balls like planets and our commanders refuse to button up.

His first shot bounces off my tough armour. But the T34 loads and fires again. This time he scores a hit on my hull and it is permanent damage. Bugger! I lose a command dice and -1 point from every movement D6.

I don't get good command dice (and now have one less!). It is all I can do to turn on my tracks and back up to face him with my frontal armour

But he doesn't hang around. He again gets good dice and moves across the river into a flanking position. I am a wounded sitting duck. He wants his killing shot.

Hahaha! His shell bounces off. I am already loaded and rumble painfully into position.  I don't even have to turn my slow turret. I fire at point blank range.

His tank becomes a roasting tin for 5 brave but foolish Ivans

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 11:08:17 PM by vodkafan »

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 11:29:58 PM »
Nowt to brag about where Ivan's involved...
Wait till you get to Normandy and have to face the likes of Trooper Joe Ekins.

;D
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 11:38:17 PM »
That was the end of the first game. It only took an hour.  Peter had some unbloodied tanks so we decided to just carry on from there. The Russians brought on a lendlease Churchill and a old KV1,  both coming from the right flank.

My opponent gave me first go, but I didn't get any movement dice in my command throw. All I could do is reload the 88.
The Churchill moved forward and took a shot.

He scored another permanent damage to my hull. I lost another command dice permanently and it was now -2 on every movement D6

On my turn I was lucky enough to get enough dice to move a little . It was enough and I got into position acquired and fired.

He brewed himself all over the road like a faulty Russian firework.
But his comrade was lining me up in his sights.

He completely destroyed my tank from under me first shot!

Some notes: this set of rules is above all, FUN. I didn't miss infantry and anti-tank guns. That would just make it like a lot of other games out there. Within it's chosen limitations of tank v. tank, I found it was quite historical. For instance, I found that it was easier to turn the whole Tiger 1 on it's tracks (which it was actually rather good at in real life) to show the thicker armour rather than turn the slow turret.  We will for sure play this again.  Even if one was to start this game from scratch, it's like the rulebook and  £20 to get a very nice tank.  How many games can be got into for that low initial outlay?

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 11:41:31 PM »
Nowt to brag about where Ivan's involved...
Wait till you get to Normandy and have to face the likes of Trooper Joe Ekins.

;D

Hi Harry. I have a couple of Shermans in the post....we shall see

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 01:45:28 AM »
Looking good boys.
Nice river too.
Flatpack

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 10:29:20 AM »
It's a really fun game, and there's actually quite a bit of interesting tactical decision making, too.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 11:09:10 AM »
Then maybe it's a better choice than Tanks!, which lasted the grand total of 1 game before it was utterly broken by my regular opponent, taking all the fun out of it... ::)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 04:22:20 PM »
Vodkafan failed to mention (gloat) about my T34's  two shots in two moves that got 'snakes eyes' (double ones)
on two successive shots i.e. not only misses, but automatically loose 'acquired target' and 'aim',
 so have to do it all over again.....Aaaaaaahhh !!!!!

Offline dhtandco

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 10:23:15 PM »
Yes it is a very good set of rules and great for introducing new players to wargaming.My grandson Jamie who is a very bright ten year old beat Martin and I with a combined age of 119 ! One new Wargamer for certain. :D

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 01:45:27 AM »
Yes it is a very good set of rules and great for introducing new players to wargaming.My grandson Jamie who is a very bright ten year old beat Martin and I with a combined age of 119 ! One new Wargamer for certain. :D

Ah glad to hear that!

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 02:22:01 PM »
Sorry Vodkafan for the delay in posting my pictures, Helen has shown me how to do it.

Offline Tim

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 12:55:40 AM »
The river is very nice indeed as is all the terrain.  I've played WAT once, with similar vehicles in 28mm - I had a Tiger, a friend had a PZ IV and we fought against two T-34-85s.  Really quite enjoyed it.
--
Tim

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 10:39:16 AM »
It is an enjoyable game & surprisingly does pose tactical choices.
To those who have not tried it, I do urge that you give it a go.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 06:10:26 PM »
It is an enjoyable game & surprisingly does pose tactical choices.
To those who have not tried it, I do urge that you give it a go.
It certainly sounds interesting.