Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:22:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Acrylic Floor Tiles - Glue? Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty Compatible?  (Read 979 times)

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
I want to make some dirt berms, and am planning to use vinyl floor tiles since they're inexpensive, very durable, and appear as if they'll lie flat, unlike some other materials, especially after painting.

I'd like to know if Gorilla Glue is suitable for bonding the vinyl pieces together in a stack, to build up the height a bit?

I have some tile samples, without the self-adhesive backing, so will use those.

Of course, I guess I could splurge a whole dollar, and get a one foot square section that already has an adhesive backing on it, but don't know how well that will stick to vinyl, if it does at all, and for how long, especially with repeated heating and cooling, over time.

Gorilla Glue might work, I suspect, but obviously I'd need to weight the pieces down, in place, while the glue cures, since it expands while doing that (forgot about that little trick the other night, and was quickly reminded of it).

Also, does anyone know if Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty will stick to vinyl? 

It's be ideal for smoothing out the berms, so they look more natural in shape, but I don't know if it will stick.

Another option would be acrylic caulking, apparently, but I'm not sure how easy it is to shape.  Seems like it may stick to the vinyl better, from a materials standpoint, and be more amenable to base flexing, etc.. 

Might work, as it cures a bit, over time, but also don't know how quickly it sets up, so am concerned about working time.

I made some nice little 6mm scale, AA berm positions, years ago, which turned out really well.  Thought I used Plaster of Paris, but now that I think about it, I'll bet it was the Rock Hard Putty, instead, since I recognize the container.

Stuff's pretty cheap - $2 for a pound, and cheaper in volume, and can be found in home improvement stores and even Walmart.

It sculpts like the PofP as it dries, and on the Durham's website, it even recommends the material for sculpting, molding, etc..

I used fender washers to make my gun positions, and then sealed the putty once it was dry, with a gloss coat.  Then, painted over that, and they appear to be quite durable.

Anyone have experience with any of the above techniques, or have other ideas?

I was considering styrene sheeting as a basing option too, though the adherence and flexing issues may be concerns with it too.  It certainly would be a bit lighter than the floor tiling, but possible more prone to flexing when painted (I guess I could paint both sides to counteract that, if needed).

Thoughts?

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
I know the normal tile adhesive backing works in sticking floor tiles on top of each other...it's one of the things that you learn when you need to tear up a bunch of layers of them that some people keep putting down on top of each other...

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
Thanks for the tip on that.

Figured as much, but still worried about longevity.

As to an answer to the original questions, based upon empirical evidence, the answer is no, at least thus far.

Will have to try some different strategies to try to change that, but straight up, using this stuff on the top of the tiles doesn't work.  Flipping them over, and doing it on the sticky side, or roughening up the surface a bit more (was already somewhat textured from the factory) may be the way forward, if it works at all.

I do like the heft, and flatness of the tiles, as well as their price, so both of those are pluses.

I suspect the same issue will crop up if attempting to use styrene sheeting as well.

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
I have glued "pink foam" to those tiles using Liquid Nails.
It sticks, and has held for over a year with no issue.

I used the putty on those, but I don't think I had any areas that were directly on the tile other than the edges.  That has stuck with no problems, though.

I have found the adhesive on the tile to be less than reliable, but that may just be the tiles I used.
- Scott