Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2018, 09:35:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 7586
  • Latest: MMFR
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1258931
  • Total Topics: 89003
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 697
  • (July 31, 2016, 09:46:52 PM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My first stab at Saga  (Read 455 times)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• librarian
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
My first stab at Saga
« on: June 02, 2018, 11:44:45 PM »
My poor old Gripping Beast Romano-British and Saxons have lain unloved and forgotten in a cupboard for the last 20 years, but some friends have persuaded me to get them back out of the box and have a go at 'Saga':

http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2018/05/30/the-saga-begins/

http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2018/06/02/as-long-as-we-beat-the-aenglish-my-first-game-of-saga/

Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Humakt

• mad scientist
Re: My first stab at Saga
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 05:48:13 AM »
Glad to see you enjoyed it.
It is a great game, eh?
What I like about it is that it's a game and not a simulation (you can tie yourself in knots trying to rationalise what they abilities represent. Best not to and just enjoy it).

The key to the game is in the battleboard. That's why it can be a hard game for newcomers/infrequent gamers to get the most out of - it requires good familiarity of that board. It's especially bad if you have an experienced player against an inexperienced player. Though, as you found, if you have a player who is polite enough to take it easy to give the other player chance to learn then that doesn't matter.
But as you play more and get more familiar with your battleboard you'll see more connections between abilities and ever more cunning ways to use them to stuff your opponent. That's part of the fun.

My only question. In your post you refer to being able to stack dice on abilities to use more than once. I think you may have that wrong. You can use the activation abilities multiple times but the right hand (1 ed)/ bottom (2 ed) abilities can only have one set of dice on them. They can only be used once per turn.
Having said that, I only have the 1st edition so that may have changed in the 2nd edition, though when I read about changes between the two I don't recall seeing that mentioned.
So have a check, in case you've got it wrong - those abilities in the bottom half of the battleboard can only be used once per turn and only have one set of dice put on them at any one time.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 05:53:14 AM by Humakt »

Offline Jemima Fawr

• librarian
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 08:31:04 AM »
Cheers Humakt!

Sorry, that was just my poor use of language.  When I said 'stacked' I meant multiple bonuses of different types, rather than lots of the same bonus.  However, I had forgotten that important rule, so thanks for the refresher.  :)

Offline Jeff965

• Supporting Adventurer
  • scatterbrained genius
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 12:51:38 PM »
Excellent write up and smashing figures and terrain to boot  :-*

Offline Jemima Fawr

• librarian
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 09:36:05 PM »
Cheers Jeff!  :D