Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:27:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686499
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (Gothic) Horror in a Fantasy (Medival) World?  (Read 3709 times)

Offline Darksider

• Bookworm
(Gothic) Horror in a Fantasy (Medival) World?
« on: June 05, 2018, 05:44:33 PM »
Hey i wanted to know, if horror games are possible in a fantasy setting?

I have the rules from ganesha games (Fear and Faith) and Chaos in Carpathia.

With the first ruleset it is possible to make some games, but i have to take out a lot of equipment, as it would be strange (but cool) to see a knight with an assault rifle with silver bullets.

The chaos in carpathia rules are in my opinion not so good to play in a fantasy (medival) world.

Do some of you know some rules or games for playing in such a world?
They say we come from nothing and to nothing we will return, but in between is gravity and bridges left to burn.

They worshipped, so they said, the Great Old Ones who lived ages before there were any men, and who came to the young world out of the sky.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Re: (Gothic) Horror in a Fantasy (Medival) World?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 06:10:01 PM »
Don't know much about this setting but couldn't you simply change the wording such as an assault rifle with silver bullets comes a rapid firing crossbow with silver bolts or a magic longbow with silver pointed arrows. Just an idea though but sure other members will be more helpful.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Darksider

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 09:40:17 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion^^. If some of you have other ideas, please tell me ;).

Offline Banderium

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 01:33:27 PM »
User Whiskey priest does something similar in a 16th century setting (link) using "7th voyage rules" with the horror supplement "the witching hour"

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 02:32:58 PM »
Horror woks fine in a Fantasy setting, back with original D&D we played a lot of horror-flavoured adventures.

Savage World would work pretty well for it.  The Fantasy Companion is back in print and designed for easy cross-patching with the Horror Companion!
https://www.peginc.com/the-fantasy-companion-returns/

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 01:20:36 AM »
I have a set of Witchfinder General (16th c. setting?), but never got around to playing it (Add to the list).  If I did a fanstasy horror game I'd be more concerned about a simple, adaptable set of rules.  Somewhere between IHMN (with Gothic) and Blood Eagle which already has some supernatural beings, or maybe Dracula's America run through a wayback machine.  I'd still like to play a Dracula's Europe game set in the Carpathians with some minor tweaking.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 03:31:14 AM »
There's a set of rules called Pike & Shot AND Zombies, set in a TYW/ECW-like setting.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 06:53:49 AM »
Pulp Alley is easy to work through and now has horror decks.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Darksider

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 07:50:47 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and the your help =).

Horror woks fine in a Fantasy setting, back with original D&D we played a lot of horror-flavoured adventures.

Savage World would work pretty well for it.  The Fantasy Companion is back in print and designed for easy cross-patching with the Horror Companion!
https://www.peginc.com/the-fantasy-companion-returns/

Do I need the savage worlds mainrulebook for this? I remember that there is something like a mainrulebook, but maybe I am wrong?

Pulp Alley is easy to work through and now has horror decks.

Never played pulp alley. Are the rules easy or more complicated?

There's a set of rules called Pike & Shot AND Zombies, set in a TYW/ECW-like setting.

Isn't Pike & Shot more in 16th century? I am more interested in 9th-12th century^^. Sry for the question, but what does TYW/ECW mean?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 09:21:45 PM »
Isn't Pike & Shot more in 16th century? I am more interested in 9th-12th century^^. Sry for the question, but what does TYW/ECW mean?

Thirty Years War/English Civil War - but it means it has rules for swords and armour and the likes.

Have you tried combining Fear and Faith with Song of Blades and Heroes (same engine)?

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 05:47:28 PM »
Do I need the savage worlds mainrulebook for this? I remember that there is something like a mainrulebook, but maybe I am wrong?

Yes, there is a core rulebook for the generic game engine, and then the companion books are supplements that add specific flavours.  I haven't played the Horror one, but I've found the Fantasy system works very well for tactical dungeon skirmishes, each player controlling a party of 5 adventurers each party entering a big dungeon from different points, monsters in combat are controlled by any player sitting next to the one whose party is fighting them.  I trust the Horror companion would work quite well in conjunction with the Fantasy.

Offline Darksider

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 04:00:50 PM »
Thirty Years War/English Civil War - but it means it has rules for swords and armour and the likes.

Have you tried combining Fear and Faith with Song of Blades and Heroes (same engine)?

Thanks for the info ;). No, but I will try it.

Yes, there is a core rulebook for the generic game engine, and then the companion books are supplements that add specific flavours.  I haven't played the Horror one, but I've found the Fantasy system works very well for tactical dungeon skirmishes, each player controlling a party of 5 adventurers each party entering a big dungeon from different points, monsters in combat are controlled by any player sitting next to the one whose party is fighting them.  I trust the Horror companion would work quite well in conjunction with the Fantasy.
Ah okay, i knew it XD. Is there a big difference between deluxe version and gentlemen version?

Btw can someone tell me the difference between this?

https://www.peginc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/gjpg1-e1334100640572.jpg

and this

https://www.p3comix.at/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/horror.png

There are also two different looking fantasy companion books? Which is the newer one?

BTW do i need the action and adventure cards?

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 05:43:37 PM »
Thanks for the info ;). No, but I will try it.

Ah okay, i knew it XD. Is there a big difference between deluxe version and gentlemen version?

Btw can someone tell me the difference between this?

https://www.peginc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/gjpg1-e1334100640572.jpg

and this

https://www.p3comix.at/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/horror.png

There are also two different looking fantasy companion books? Which is the newer one?

BTW do i need the action and adventure cards?

I only have the Deluxe [Adventurer's] Edition.  Adventurer's editions are just smaller paperback versions of the larger hardcovers, no other difference. 

I don't have any cards or decks, and when I've played in games at conventions, the GMs weren't using any.  So I would say they are not necessary. ^,^

I am not familiar with the Gentleman's Edition.  A quick google search now is only showing me posts written in German.  The 2 links you posted for the Horror Companion, one of them appears to be the German edition.

For the Fantasy Companion, the covers look the same, you want to be sure it's the Second Printing, the title page should read Copyright 2009, 2012.  Looking at the full-size preview on RPGNow, they have the recent one.
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/64257/Savage-Worlds-Fantasy-Companion

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 01:38:40 AM »
Check out the classic dungeons and dragons module Ravenloft which is a fantasy/gothic horror mash up.

Offline Darksider

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 08:24:22 PM »
I only have the Deluxe [Adventurer's] Edition.  Adventurer's editions are just smaller paperback versions of the larger hardcovers, no other difference. 

I don't have any cards or decks, and when I've played in games at conventions, the GMs weren't using any.  So I would say they are not necessary. ^,^

I am not familiar with the Gentleman's Edition.  A quick google search now is only showing me posts written in German.  The 2 links you posted for the Horror Companion, one of them appears to be the German edition.

For the Fantasy Companion, the covers look the same, you want to be sure it's the Second Printing, the title page should read Copyright 2009, 2012.  Looking at the full-size preview on RPGNow, they have the recent one.
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/64257/Savage-Worlds-Fantasy-Companion

Thanks for clearing me up. Yeah one of the books seems to be in german language, but i also find the same cover on amazon or other sites if i search it (and there the book is in english).

Check out the classic dungeons and dragons module Ravenloft which is a fantasy/gothic horror mash up.
Thank you, i will check it out;). Do you have a link to where I can find it?