Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:45:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690652
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Her first game of Hero Quest  (Read 1064 times)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Her first game of Hero Quest
« on: June 05, 2018, 09:11:57 PM »
This weekend, my four year old daughter was helping me putting up shelves in my game room, when she noticed my Hero Quest box in a stack of other games, and immediately became interested.

She liked the artwork and especially the kids playing the game on the back. 'This is a dolly game for kids', she observed, letting the inevitable question linger...

'Do you want to play it?', I asked. And the obvious answer was an enthousiastic 'Yes!'.

So later that day, I dusted off my venerable old game, which I had bought back in 1989. The miniatures in the box were the first I ever painted, with my Revell enamels I previously used for my plastic model planes.

And even though we have played the game through and through, including all of the expansions, I've always taken really good care of it, and it's still very playable today.

We played the first scenario, straight out of the booklet, with only the magic simplified: the three fire spell cards were fireballs, the water cards healing spells, earth extra defense and air an extra turn. This she could grasp, as the actual spells are sometimes a bit complicated and she can't read yet anyway.

Also, wounds and gold were allocated with tokens instead of writing them down for the same obvious reason.

And she had a blast! :)

She was focused throughout the game, enjoyed it tremendously (I  voiced the monsters and DMed the game with extra flavour) and when it was finished, she immediately asked if we could play it again!

Which we have done a couple of times already now. I now make up the scenario as we go along, since we play right before her bedtime and this way I can tailor it to how tired she is and how late it is, but she still enjoys it a lot.

So I think I am succeeding in raising another gamer, and we're having lots of fun in the process too!  :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 09:18:10 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
Re: Her first game of Hero Quest
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 09:17:44 PM »
This is awesome and gives me enormous hope for my son,  who's seen the HQ box and has asked about fighting fantasy books... The time draws near.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 09:34:23 PM »
Lovely stuff. Always nice when the kids want to play with dads stuff.

I thought my son was going to follow me into the family hobby, for a while, but in the end I lost him to Football  :'( (which to be fair is the other family hobby) and my daughter sadly never showed any interest as my minis weren't pink and didn't wear cute clothes lol.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 10:28:06 PM »
That's amazing. My daughter is not quite three but in a year or so I have high hopes.

Happy gaming!

Offline pancakeonions

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 11:41:29 PM »
Awesome!  My boy is 6, and while we haven't played a game like this yet, he's still on the fence about boardgames in general...  Fingers crossed!

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 02:58:53 AM »
HQ was my first real minis game introduced to me by my brother in law ,who didn't do minis but knew I collected and painted.
 I introduced my nephew at 8, now 28, into wargaming thru it and he has almost as many figures(and is a better painter) as I do now.
A few months ago he told me his daughter and two boys( 11,6 and 4) were burning thru the quest like crazy.
We now call it our gateway drug lol

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 12:12:21 PM »
Sounds like a good education to me  lol.
My son liked a few games of Ridderstijd ( Battle Masters ) at the time but unfortunately he never got bitten by the gamer bug...
Leadhead

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 12:59:55 PM »
Good on you!
It's certainly a special moment when the kids want to play with daddy and his toys.
My son (6.5) likes miniatures and board games with miniatures so we play Zombicide and 28mm Old West and RCW (it's what I have painted).
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...