Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:53:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for some suggestions on painting ash/mud covered skin  (Read 1880 times)

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
Hey guys, I知 trying to get this sort of effect on skin but I知 not sure the best way to get the texture. I致e considered a drybrushing over a flesh basecoat with maybe some fine grit mixed in but I figured I壇 see if anyone had a suggestion before I dive in.
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
Re: Looking for some suggestions on painting ash/mud covered skin
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 08:03:09 AM »
I'd try adding cornflower to the paint to get the mud consistency and then stipple it on with an old brush that's had its point removed, or you could add cornflower to the basecoat to get the texture then paint the colour on top.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 08:13:27 AM »
Cornflower or cornflour?  ???

I used to mix talcum powder with Humbrol enamel paint to do caked-on mud on vehicles. Worked pretty well. Never tried it with acrylics, though. Might be a little too thick and cakey for a person, but it might be okay. I'd test it on something you don't mind wrecking first.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 11:32:30 AM »
A Milliput wash stippled on might work. Mix some Milliput, find some sort of disposable container (eg a bottle cap), put the Milliput in there and add a few drops of water, take an old battered brush and dissolve the putty a bit and apply the mixture by stippling it on.
Grounded up pastel chalks added to paint might work as well (only ever tried that on scenery though, so not sure if that wouldn't end up a bit too thick/ obscure to many details when used on a mini).

You probably could try textured paint (example https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Texture-Armageddon-Dust-24ML) or pastes/ gels eg pumice gel (as an example: https://www.goldenpaints.com/products/medium-gels-pastes/gel-with-aggregates) but I fear that you'd either have to thin that stuff so much that the effect is partially ruined or that when used undiluted the results might resemble a gathering of mud golems more than people.
sanity is for cowards

Offline Maledrakh

• Librarian
    • At the Mountains of Minis
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 12:09:05 PM »
stippling with liquid green stuff might do the trick.
(might this at last be a proper use for it?)

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 02:30:47 PM »
As I'm gonna need something similar for a couple of zombies anyways, here's a quick test.

thick, undiluted paint sponged on with foam inlay from a blister pack
as above but over a Milliput wash (also applied using a piece of foam)
Milliput wash, sponged on
paint mixed with pastel chalk powder

quick wash & drybrush job to bring out the details so they show up better in the close ups:

Hope that helps a bit.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 02:46:11 PM »
Cornflower or cornflour?  ???

Cornflour  :)

But that pastel chalk powder works really well, I'd go with that.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 04:20:01 AM »
Games Workshop produces textured paints...but I don't know how long they would last with handling.  I plan on doing some Bone Tomahawk stuff soon, but I'll probably just paint it and skip the texturing.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 05:32:53 AM »
I know you can buy some sort of chipping paint. Don't know the brand though. What about using an enamel and then drying it very quickly with a hair dryer? No idea if it would work.

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 02:48:42 AM »
Games Workshop produces textured paints...but I don't know how long they would last with handling.  I plan on doing some Bone Tomahawk stuff soon, but I'll probably just paint it and skip the texturing.
I知 using the Lucid Eye Corelocks as a base to do the very same. I知 adding some bones & greenstuff here and there but I知 really keen on trying to get that muddy/ashy look. I値l post some progress shots once I get past the base coat. Right now my plan is to try adding powder to the paint & start dry brushing picking out the details afterwards.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 12:11:02 PM by goon3423 »