Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:24:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Quick and Easy rules?  (Read 3819 times)

Andrew_McGuire

Re: Quick and Easy rules?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 02:44:50 PM »
Thank you for that. I'll hold fire on both for the moment, particularly as I now have What a Tanker! to keep me occupied, at least until I've painted some infantry.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 04:28:37 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 04:58:42 PM »
Honestly I'd say go with Bolt Action, It's easy and rather fast paced.

A major boon is that it's also not very restrictive on what you have to take allowing you more flexibility on what you field which allows you to adjust just how historically accurate you want your gaming to be.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 05:42:18 PM »
This question comes up periodically, the last time a few months ago...  :)
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=102745.0

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 06:02:54 PM »
If you want super easy how about something like Airfix battles?

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 06:09:02 PM »
Thanks all I think the questions have been answered now

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 07:12:51 PM »
This question comes up periodically, the last time a few months ago...  :)
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=102745.0
Is it worth having a sticky about the rules (difficult to manage I know)?

What about a moderator only sticky with links to the threads?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 09:04:52 PM »
I would think so. Otherwise we end up having the same conversation every few months  :)
Chris is the board mod though, so it’s his call.

Offline pease1

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 01:37:55 PM »
For quick and easy, we prefer Iron Cross by Great Escape games (not to be confused with Cross of Iron)

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 02:53:22 PM »
No love for Crossfire?  everyone should be made to play it at least once just to see how gaming could evolve ;-)
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 03:20:54 PM »
I've gone with Bolt Action, partly because my 10 yr old has been playing it at shows for 2 years now and he loves it and picked it up straight away. One of my friends plays it and he thinks its great fun, and fun is the main criteria for our games so who's to argue?

I've got copies of CoC and Iron Cross but you never seem to see these played in participation games at shows so never get the chance to get a feel of how they play. I've seen them used in demo games a plenty, but BA is very popular so it must be doing something right. It has been the Perry twins rules of choice in all their WW2 demo games at Partizan so that was good enough for me! :D

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2018, 04:35:28 PM »
Thanks all I think the questions have been answered now

As you have seen, these things take on a life of their own, as much for the responders' benefit as that of the original poster. As usual, I've not only contributed, albeit modestly, but also learnt something.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2018, 05:14:54 PM »

I've got copies of CoC and Iron Cross but you never seem to see these played in participation games at shows so never get the chance to get a feel of how they play. I've seen them used in demo games a plenty, but BA is very popular so it must be doing something right. It has been the Perry twins rules of choice in all their WW2 demo games at Partizan so that was good enough for me! :D

Iron Cross I have never seen it, but I admit I missed everything from last Colours and this one is new...

Chain? I have seen plenty of participation games at show and take part in several of them.  I would not put too much credit on the rules of choice at Partizan of a specific manufacturer. They have always put up demo games with Warlord Rules (Black Powder, Hail Caesar, and so on...). It could be a coincidence or simply the fact that they want to support Rick and Warlord. Especially considering that they play CoC by themselves and they were impressed when Rich went to Nottingham to demo the game in their game room...

On the other hand...

I've gone with Bolt Action, partly because my 10 yr old has been playing it at shows for 2 years now and he loves it and picked it up straight away.

This is a much more valid statement  lol

"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2018, 06:07:24 PM »
I would think so. Otherwise we end up having the same conversation every few months  :)
Chris is the board mod though, so it’s his call.

Not quite 'the same conversation', as the criteria stated by the posters are often different (not that this prevents people from overlooking these and simply plugging their personal favourites, but that' another matter.) Furthermore, there are always going to be new rules, not to mention changes of opinion as people get more experience with a particular set or try something different. As I said in another post, I've learnt something from this, and have read a lot of similar threads. I still don't know what I like, though....

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2018, 07:42:05 PM »
Not quite 'the same conversation', as the criteria stated by the posters are often different (not that this prevents people from overlooking these and simply plugging their personal favourites, but that' another matter.) Furthermore, there are always going to be new rules, not to mention changes of opinion as people get more experience with a particular set or try something different. As I said in another post, I've learnt something from this, and have read a lot of similar threads. I still don't know what I like, though....
I think what he meant, and I definitely meant was that if we had a sticky with the links to existing threads that would be informative. That is not to say that different questions are not important, but a record of previous questions might answer some of them. It might also identify any "one game to rule them all" postings ^__^.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2018, 08:29:13 PM »
That’s what I meant. You may well learn something new from it every time the same question comes up. But you also get a lot of repetition. If there was one thread that already held people’s views, they wouldn’t feel the need to repeat it all again in threads asking the same (or minor variations on the same) question.
It’s why stickies exist (well, in part anyway).