Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:53:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dedburgh - On the Trail of Riyal Badyin  (Read 2103 times)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
Dedburgh - On the Trail of Riyal Badyin
« on: June 06, 2018, 07:25:35 PM »
On the trail of Riyal Badyin

In this game we move even further out from the town centre. The roads are again the paper ones from the Mantic “Mars Attacks” game. We used the Warlord Games compound and our stock buildings .

Military Intelligence provides that the zombie outbreak seems centred arount the distribution depots of “Zedgen” a large international company owned by the mysterious billioaire Riyal Badyin. Dedburgh is home to a distribution depot and an RAF aircraft takes a photograph. And as a result a small mission is launched to capture the science officer there and his files. The Mission starts at dawn with a recce team in an armoured car and another in a helicopter. The recce teams are dismounted, have a quick conference on tactics and the game begins with Aiden (age 8 ) in charge of the ground recce team and Callum (age 10) with the helicopter team of Black Watch.

Aiden opts for the direct approach since the game has already gone “noisy”. His armoured car storms ahead and smashes open the gates as the foot team follows up. Callum’s Black Watch climb into their helo.

As the helo lifts off the armoured car reverses back and picks up the dismounted team.

The Black Watch land on the roof despite the sentries on the roof firing at them quite ineffectively Though a sentry is shot dead by the soldiers. Then as the zombies close in on the armoured car drives forward an unlucky event card means it has a burst tyre and slows to half speed. There are too many zombies about to change it so it advances firing its turret machine gun to fend off the zombies.

The helicopter lifts off and a gun battle develops on the roof with Black Watch killing all of the sentries and their reinforcements.

Aiden Blocks the wrecked gates with the armoured car while the recce troops dosmount to deal with the bodies. One immediately rises up as a zombie attacks a trooper is quickly killed.

Two highlanders drop ito the office with a warcry of “Gerr intae thum!” and engage in a fierce hand to hand battle with the two guards and the scientist. No shots are fired as Callum wants the scientist alive and also does not want to wreck the computer.

The scientist thinks about escaping downstairs but he hears a mighty crash and gunfire from below. Aiden’s troopers burst in to fight 2 zombies and 2 guards.

Outside things are getting worse. the armoured car is stopping zombies getting in but some of the bodies are rising up as zombies and one at the zombie compound rises up and lets out a moan (event card). The horde surges towards it.

In the office the scientist is overpowered but sprays a can of chemicals labelled “Zed Spray” over one of the highlanders before the zip cuffs tie him up and the sprayed highlander grabs him by the thrapple, draws his sgian dugh to gralloch him (translation: grabs him by the throat, draws his knife and disembowels him)

At the gate things are getting worse. The zombie compound gives way.

Faced with a dilemma Aiden decides it is time to go. The armoured car reverses and blocks the zombie hordes leaving the compound and opens the rear door for his troopers, one of whome fores his LAW into the hordes and kills several.

Both teams fire into the hordes as the ground troops clamber into their armoured car. The highlander’s officer fires off a mini-flare and the helicopter returns.

Covered by the highlanders the armoured car escapes ploughing through the zombies mowing several down as it passes through to the cheers of the troops inside, “Did you see that one burst apart?”

DISASTER! Callum’s event card shows that the helicopter’s fuel tank is empty. It must have been hit in the fuel tank in the earlier fire fight.

With their prisoner and his computer the highlanders escape on foot picking up (or at least chatting up) the two female pilots on the way. “dae ye fancy goin’ dancin’ tonight?” asks a highlander.,

Another successfull mission that very nearly went wrong. Both boys made good tactical decisions despite the problems dropped on them by the event cards. Unfortunately the scientist was not Riyal Badyin. Fortunately the highlander sprayed by the can of “Zed Spray” suffered no harm.

The hunt for Riyal Badyin continues.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Dedburgh - On the Trail of Riyal Badyin
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 07:16:05 AM »
Interesting report, sounds like fun.

I like the armoured car, who made it?

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 04:02:16 PM »
Interesting report, sounds like fun.

I like the armoured car, who made it?

It was a lot of fun and got the boys thinking.

The armoured car was salvaged from a toy box.  Written on the bottom is:

Maisto Panhard VBL 4x4; scale 1/47; made in China

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 01:05:49 AM »
Wonderful game report and miniatures. I do like that you have recruited your offspring to play. Sounds like a great game.
I should be painting right now.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 08:07:01 AM »
Maisto Panhard VBL 4x4; scale 1/47; made in China
Thanks, nice looking model (brings back memories of Twilight 2000).

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 10:37:40 AM »
Great setup. Looks like you had fun.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 03:48:29 PM »
Thanks, we all had fun even grandad (me) as the baddies.  The interesting thing was that my forces acted on every card - the zombies on their cards and the guards on the survivor cards.  That way the guards could not "control" the zombies who were just as likely to attack my guards as they were the boys' army figures.  The zombies always go for the nearest survivor. 

I need to find a suitably evil mastermind figure for Riyal Badyin (Real Bad One in Scots) and Scunner MacDeth his bodyguard.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 09:00:52 PM »
I would suggest a look through the Crooked Dice villains.

For the more strange villain, there is always Imortan Drumpf.
https://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=resin-master-%252d-immortan-drumpf~hfmaster-a191&category=modern-%26%0D%0Apost%252dapoc~resin-masters-%252d-modern
There should be a metal at some point.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 09:55:50 PM »
Thanks, I had forgotten about Crooked Dice and I see several useful figures. Thanks