Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:45:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (COMMERCIAL) Elders house  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
(COMMERCIAL) Elders house
« on: June 08, 2018, 07:24:36 AM »
I started working on a new building for my Samurai Builders Series. I call it the "Elders house". 

Here are a couple of concepts I made.

A first sketch showing the shoji and engawa design I want to include.

I was briefly going in this direction with the roof but I like the other version better for reason of modularity. One can build just the main house or add one or two engawas on the long side as required with the first version.

Finally, the entry via the engawa was usually reserved for VIP guest so I wanted to add a ground level building. It's basically a short version of the (raised) main house.

With these options I can see many ways to make different builds. Add the texturing layers for different shoji and wall styles and you will have even more variety to work with!

Happy building,
Chris

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 08:57:41 AM by Papierschnitzel »

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
Re: Elders house
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 03:21:00 PM »
Here are a couple of pics of the white build prototypes.

I am making variations of the engawas (verandas). This is the full length columns version...

... and this one has only parts columns.

Adding the extension "ground level" working house and some minis :-)

Next up is the creating of textures (skins). I am planning to have some variations of shoji and wood panelling so that (as usual) when it comes to printing the buildings, one has the option of creating a specific look or multiple different looking buildings if you need many in the large village scenario :-)

Chris

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 03:02:50 PM »
Here is a first test build of the elder house!

And I couldn't resist to make a quick little diorama  :D

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 08:57:25 AM »
I have completed the interior and built a version to show it! This time I cut out some shoji doors open so you can see inside even with the roof on but for the pictures it was easier this way  :D

Now you can see the step from the dirt ground to the raised tatami area.

Here is another view from ground PoV where I have taken the building sections apart.

This is the outside view from the street side (with one variation of the engawa versions)

And the garden side view

This is just one setup. You can just build the raised house with 1 or 2 engawas on the long side. You could have the ground level building on both sides. Lot's of options possible!  :)

Of course you can build it "fold-flat" style so you can disassemble and store safely.

I will release this on my Patreon this month and then one month later to public in case you are interested!  ;)

Happy building,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:09:54 AM by Papierschnitzel »

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
Re: (COMMERCIAL) Elders house
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 02:01:16 PM »
Man, not sure how I missed this, looks great.

Does it have editable layers though? I'm not keen on printed models that have 3D objects on them like the tools and basin resting against the walls.

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 10:13:33 AM »
It's a multi layered PDF, so you can switch off what you don't need or like. The "stuff" (what I call the layers with decoration objects) you can all turn off.

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 12:45:46 PM »
The SVB3 (The elder house) and the SVBe (extras) have been released on my Gumroad and OBS pages!

Hope you enjoy these sets to create even larger villages for your Feudal Japan gaming  :)

Happy building,
Chris

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 01:01:01 PM »
All of your creations are absolutely beautiful. Have you made any buildings or other items that would be suitable for a Chinese setting?

I’m thinking anything that could be “Pulp” or “Back or Beyond” gaming related.
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 06:09:26 PM »
All of your creations are absolutely beautiful. Have you made any buildings or other items that would be suitable for a Chinese setting?

I’m thinking anything that could be “Pulp” or “Back or Beyond” gaming related.

Not yet anything Chinese. But it has been on my mind. What would you like to see first?

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 12:14:04 AM »
Doesn't really matter. Houses of various types are always useful. Anything for a small village or town.

The resin/MDF options currently available are usually too expensive once you include freight to the other side of the world - I currently make my own buildings using foam card, so it would be nice to have some beautifully designed exterior choices that aren't available to me via the local stationery shop.  :D

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 05:47:16 AM »
Doesn't really matter. Houses of various types are always useful. Anything for a small village or town.

The resin/MDF options currently available are usually too expensive once you include freight to the other side of the world - I currently make my own buildings using foam card, so it would be nice to have some beautifully designed exterior choices that aren't available to me via the local stationery shop.  :D

I will go and search the internet if I can find some research material for Chinese housing. I can only recall having seen Temples and Pagodas but obviously they would have living areas too. Let's see what I can do :-)