Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:43:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690466
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord (Pro-gloria) plastic Landsknechte  (Read 78605 times)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: Warlord (Pro-gloria) plastic Landsknechte
« Reply #390 on: May 07, 2018, 10:36:30 AM »
Warlord have never been the best, but look at their original ecw plastics. They were innovative and affordable.

Now all you get from them is reboxed second rate plastics from other companies they have bought out with the prices hiked up.

I mean they literally have the balls to now sell us reboxed wargames factory tat at a higher price than the perry's charge for plastics!

I also liked their very early Celtic sets, and the Imperial Romans, while a bit static were the first affordable plastics for antiquity that came to my mind. The most recent set, however, have become a bit dull...too much recycling of poses imo. Other companies like the Perrys certainly have moved way beyond that.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #391 on: May 07, 2018, 01:54:36 PM »
I'm just a bystander - I'm not in the market for Landsknechts, plastic or otherwise. But, reading some of the comments, it seems to me that from very promising beginnings this set has turned out to be something of a disappointment. Perhaps the initial expectations were unrealistic, but Warlord should look into why people are reacting negatively and try to do something about it.

Personally, I've never bought any of Warlord's all-plastic sets. I have bought both their Imperial Harquebusiers and their Imperial Cuirassiers, which are metal riders on plastic horses. I'm afraid that I threw the horses away. They just didn't look much like horses to me. I ended up throwing away the cuirassier riders too - I just didn't think they compared with other cuirassiers on the market. I'm in the process of re-mounting the harquebusier riders, and with head swaps I think they'll look quite interesting. That doesn't make them very good value, though, and, were I Warlord, I'd be a bit concerned that someone ends up throwing all of one box and 3/4 of another in the bin. 

Offline Malatesta

• Bookworm
« Reply #392 on: May 07, 2018, 06:59:14 PM »
...it seems to me that from very promising beginnings this set has turned out to be something of a disappointment. Perhaps the initial expectations were unrealistic, but Warlord should look into why people are reacting negatively and try to do something about it.

I agree. My objections relate to the numerous errors in the armor and clothing styles. Maybe Warlord should have spent more time researching. The figures seem more "GW-ish" than historical. I did, however, purchase a box. I'm sure I'll be able to get many useful figures out fo the set, if not a load of bits for conversions.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #393 on: May 07, 2018, 11:59:42 PM »
The figures seem more "GW-ish" than historical.
I heard that criticism before they fell into Warlord's hands.

We don't know how the set would have turned out had the original sculptor carried on the project. Aside from any issues of historical accuracy there may be, a number of compromises may have been made to get this product to market as the original expectations for tooling and casting may have been unrealistic And, sadly, not everyone is Michael, Alan or whoever sculpts for Victrix. :D

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #394 on: May 08, 2018, 12:38:56 AM »
I agree. My objections relate to the numerous errors in the armor and clothing styles. Maybe Warlord should have spent more time researching. The figures seem more "GW-ish" than historical. I did, however, purchase a box. I'm sure I'll be able to get many useful figures out fo the set, if not a load of bits for conversions.
IIRC, the Pro-Gloria designer for this set is responsible for the current Empire plastics. Among Warhammer players, compared to the previous Perry sculpted plastics, the quality of these are very uneven, especially the simian features of some of the heads. lol 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 01:12:20 AM by Condottiere »

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #395 on: May 11, 2018, 01:09:48 AM »
I'd not hold your breath. I'm noticing nobody seems to care much for warlord products recently.
You try finding reviews on the plastic 38t or Hetzer...or any warlord releases the last 5 months

An interesting point. I tried finding reviews for some of the antares vehicles and their successor elephant. I couldn't find any. and they're still trying to get rid of all their terminator stock....

It's very odd.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #396 on: June 15, 2018, 12:48:53 AM »
To bad they arent selling individual sprues. Id like one of each to make a Mordheim warband.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #397 on: June 16, 2018, 10:24:57 AM »
To bad they arent selling individual sprues. Id like one of each to make a Mordheim warband.

You have a pm

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #398 on: June 16, 2018, 02:53:51 PM »
You have a pm

God sport, that man!  ;)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84