Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:50:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (Pirate) ship cannon  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
(Pirate) ship cannon
« on: June 08, 2018, 08:43:48 AM »
I have some ships for 28-30mm figures planned later and to get into the groove I thought I will start with something small: The cannons!

After some quick research I finalized the design and here is a first white prototype.

I then went on to texture the build and make a first final build.

I was very happy with the result. It's quick enough to build and I think the detail still looks good enough for a paper model.

I also played with a easy build that you can fold flat for safe storage (if required).

Here it is squashed flat  :D

If you are willing to go the distance I have also made the wedge that will control the angle of the barrel and added some custom made little balls for final detailing.

Now that I am satisfied with the build, I am going to build a whole set of cannons so I can populate a big ship's deck later!

Happy building,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 09:07:46 AM by Papierschnitzel »

Offline henerius

• Bookworm
Re: (Pirate) ship cannon
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 04:00:19 PM »
My complements on the effect scored with that material.

The oxagonal gun is, when painted, an excellent addition to any army in my opinion, the square gun is not so much to my liking though, but I guess on a tabletop it would be oke. 

I don't have any cardboard models (do Mordheim houses count as?) but with the cardboard ships made in Russia and little projects like this make it clear that alot can be achieved with cardboard/paper nowadays.

Thank you for sharing

cheers,

Henerius

Offline gostgost

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 06:31:29 PM »
Great work

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 06:45:05 PM »
What a concept and design and realistic texture! Amazing job!  :-*
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 09:07:18 AM »
Thanks you guys! Glad you like it so far.

Except for special settings I believe you can do almost anything with paper/cardstock! It's very affordable and doesn't need that many tools to work with. But then each material has it's benefits. For now I choose to work with paper but who knows where I end up later  ;)

...The oxagonal gun is, when painted, an excellent addition to any army in my opinion, the square gun is not so much to my liking though, but I guess on a tabletop it would be oke. ...

If you don't score/fold the gun barrel you can also make it round. It doesn't have to be octagonal. I just think it's an easier build for some. I will make a full set of round cannons for my boats.

I agree, the square gun is not the best looking but it is a very easy and fast build and can be squashed flat for safe storage if that is a concern.

I will continue with the advanced build ...  :D

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 03:45:44 PM »
So for the ships I have planned later, I will need more cannons!

I started by building the carriages and equipping them with the wedges ...

Then I built the gun barrels. This is the "raw" form with details just textured.

For each barrel I then added the actual rings and painted in the shadows with an art pen.

Next I needed to fit the barrels with axles which I made out of cut to size toothpicks colored with a black marker.

And finally I used the leftover parts from the black metal texture to make the fittings over the axle. So here are my first eight cannons!

The paper minis are by the talented Paperforge.

So the eight are enough to start. I will need to make more once I get to the larger ships I have planned. But for now I am thinking about a pirate gun boat or sloop.

Of course one could also use the cannons in a port defending fort. I have to research what they did look like. And then maybe also do a fort one day  :D

But for now my to-do list is long enough!  ;)

Happy building,
Chris

Offline anton ryzbak

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 06:02:02 AM »
AARRRGGHHH!!!!!!!   Where were you when I was building my 28mm Spanish fort, I had to scrounge up 60+cannon to arm that monster

By the way, your cannons look great!

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 06:42:06 AM »
Sorry, I was still working on it  :D

thanks man, much appreciated!

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 08:14:17 AM »
I admire your skills in doing paper models from scratch!  :o

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 09:31:30 AM »
I'm not too big on paper modeling (too fiddly for me usually) but these are brilliant. Great work!

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 02:53:14 PM »
Thank you guys!

I hope I have some ships soon :-)

Chris