Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:56:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Panther G  (Read 1504 times)

Offline GeKi

• Scientist
    • miniaturebrushwork
15mm Panther G
« on: June 10, 2018, 11:01:45 AM »
Hello,

I started a projekt for in between to get of painting tartans. For a recent What a Tanker! project of a friend I started to opaint one of my favorite tanks, a Panther G (15mm from PSC). I will add some hypothetical "solution B" IR equipment and call him "Nachtmahr" (nightmare) to create a little character.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: 15mm Panther G
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 11:25:33 AM »
Lovely Weathering on such a small model :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 11:40:41 AM »
Excellent modeling and painting! Looks suitably beaten up for the last days of the Reich.

Offline GeKi

• Scientist
    • miniaturebrushwork
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 12:58:43 PM »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 01:26:40 PM »
Very nice job on the Panther.

Offline GeKi

• Scientist
    • miniaturebrushwork
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 01:16:18 PM »
The Panther is finished now.
I added hypothetical IR equipment from a battlefront panther sprue to make him stand out a bit from the other ones I own.
But I dont thik there are rules for that kind of equipment in What a Tanker!

hope you enjoy, cheers

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 05:10:02 PM »
Very nice job.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 05:47:52 PM »
The Panther is finished now.
I added hypothetical IR equipment from a battlefront panther sprue to make him stand out a bit from the other ones I own.
But I dont thik there are rules for that kind of equipment in What a Tanker!

If you fielded this in a game, your opponent would know you were a real tanker.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 01:11:17 PM »
Extremely nice work!

To be quite honest, the IR equipment was real, not so sure it was ever used in combat, but several combinations were fielded on the Eastern front, there are photos, and at least one surviving sample. If you say the Solution B was hypothetical... well it worse than that it appears to be an entirely post war fabrication by Culver and Feist who claim that it was used at least twice with devastating effects. These claims are not corroborate,d and the idea of a solution B is not even supported by works of the head scientist working on the IR equipment.  There is one photo around with Solution B, but it was doctored!

but from an intelligence annex of a 5 Armored Division AAR...

At STENAL, Germany a German research technician was taken prisoner. This technician had in his possession and installed on his automobile, Infrared equipment which he was removing from the vicinity of BERLIN and the ultimate danger of capture by the Russians. This equipment was designed for installation on tanks for the purpose of night fighting. The entire equipment, plus the technician was turned over to Enemy Equipment Intelligence Service, NINTH Army. A secret report has been subsequently rendered on this equipment and a copy of the report is on file at this Headquarters.

Beetle with Vampyr?  lol who does one in 15mm?  :D

About rules... according to a 21st AG intelligence report,  the tank was driven and fired blind under instruction from the Tank commander via intercom. To fire the Tank was halted and the TC had to configure the sight. Then he was giving traverse instructions to the gunner (to turn the turret, the IR thing was fixed). Once on the correct traverse the TC was using a vernier control on the sight. Probably in WaT this thing would require a lot of orders just to get on target (using the tanker dice). More an hassle... and then you need to have rules of American Tabby system...

"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline GeKi

• Scientist
    • miniaturebrushwork
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 02:20:38 PM »
Thanks

@ Arrigo: I just got the Nachtjäger book from Battlefront as a reference for the IR equipment. I think the solution were just the commander was given IR optics was the more common version. They quote that solution B was just a hypothetical version. But the SdKFZ of the germans were given optics for gunner and driver.

Yes I think IR would be probably to complicated and interrupting for the game flow.

cheers

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 02:58:01 PM »
Well,

when I saw your awesome model I just did some quick research. Yes the German had a different arrangement for the halftrack. I also knew of the solution B... and I had seen the picture on the 'solution B' Panther... so I was curious... ended up discovering the B was just a fabrication. Culver and Feist even go forward ot present two Solution B engagements by the Clausewitz! Thus I posted the summery of my research (internet ones, but I dug up some primary sources too)! The bit on the IR system on the car was too funny.

As a game mechanism... well after reading the Intelligence report I was flabbergasted. Yes, it gives you an advantage at night but operating it is not just an hassle in game, but in real life (and requires very well trained crews).

Best,
Arrigo