Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:43:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dollar Store Superglue - Any Good?  (Read 4979 times)

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
Dollar Store Superglue - Any Good?
« on: June 10, 2018, 05:25:22 PM »
Just curious if anyone has used "Dollar Store" (yes, this specific store), superglue mini-tubes, and if they actually work?

Looking for info on initial adhesion, and strength of bonds over time.

I grow weary of shelling out $8 - $10+ for the real, modeling, Superglue, only to have it completely dry up after an initial use of only a few drops.

I even had this happen recently, to my Testor's, styrene modeling glue.  Used just a little bit, thought I resealed the cap securely, and 95% of the contents solidified.  Granted, probably haven't used it in over a year, but still, that is annoying.

Never used to happen "...back in the good old days", when the stuff used to last for year.  Not sure if they've reformulated it to have that happen to sell more, or I just got a bad tube. 

Offline arloid

• Bookworm
Re: Dollar Store Superglue - Any Good?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 07:18:10 PM »
Personally I use superglue by a brand called zap, the thing you rip of to open the tube also acts as a airtight seal when turned around, can´t say how effective it is since I just recently found out.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 07:36:18 PM »
I haven't used Dollar Store, but I have used cheap glue from Poundland - the eight tubes for £1 variety.

It's very runny but seems to hold okay. The big problem is that the next time you go back to the tube it has solidified >:(

I've been using Gorilla superglue gel with favourable results. I found the regular stuff was really starting to upset my sinuses, but the Gorilla stuff is much less harsh.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 08:46:48 PM »
I have used them both in the states and in the UK.  Once you find one that has the consistency that you want buy it.  I use one manufacture for setting bases as it is very thin.  I use another for gluing models becasue it is thicker and sets fairly quickly.  Since it is cheap enough you can afford to experiment.  Hope that helps.
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline jmilesr01

• Librarian
    • lair of the Uber Geek
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 10:36:12 PM »
I get my super glue from Rockler (a woodworking retailer) here in the US.  The sell large bottles (4.5 oz) for just under $15.00 - most hobby glues (like Zap) are sold in 1 to 2.5 oz bottles - Zap goes for roughly $7.50 for a 1 oz bottle.

The Rockler CA glues come in three styles (thin, medium and thick) - I ten to use either medium or thick.  I've never had a bottle dry out.

The grip is really strong.  I often use the Rockler CA glue in the woodshed to tack down trim work and small/thin parts that might warp from a water based wood glue.

Here's a link to the Rockler website

http://www.rockler.com/quick-set-glue-4-5-oz

I buy a lot of my woodworking stuff from Rockler and am very impressed with their customer service.

Miles
http://lairoftheubergeek.blogspot.com

Offline Johnnytodd

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 12:19:09 AM »
I use the Dollar Store super glue - "BAZIC SUPER GLUE" brand,  and it works fine.  Best of all I get 4-5 tubes for a dollar!

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 10:50:48 AM »
No matter what super glue you buy if it will "dry up" if you don't store it in a dry enviroment. It actually doesn't dry at all, but rather reacts with the moisture in the air, so you should store it somewhere dry, I've seen "lifehacks"where people store their superglue in a jar with rice, the rice acting as a dessicant

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 11:22:13 AM »
I recently discovered cheap superglue from the pound shop in the UK. Bought some DIY Time superglue. Its got a picture of Tommy Walsh on it. You get three 7g proper plastic tubes along with some precision nozzles and a pin. Its really good stuff. Not too thin and holds well. I opened the first tube months ago and its still fine.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 03:07:21 PM »
Use exactly the same DIY three bottle sets. I use it on sculpts that are cast,as well as all the cereal packet card projects.(In fact I can't remember the last time I actually bought a high street brand.) Never really had any major issues with it. (other than not noticing the drawing pin included in the packet for years  ;D )

Mark.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 03:18:15 PM »
I recently discovered cheap superglue from the pound shop in the UK. Bought some DIY Time superglue. Its got a picture of Tommy Walsh on it. You get three 7g proper plastic tubes along with some precision nozzles and a pin. Its really good stuff. Not too thin and holds well. I opened the first tube months ago and its still fine.

Those are the ones that went solid on me after one use. Looks like I got a bad batch  :'(

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 05:17:21 PM »
Those are the ones that went solid on me after one use. Looks like I got a bad batch  :'(
I've found them to be iffy.
Sometimes I end up with the "bonus" of pre-dried out tubes. Yay!
Sometimes I don't. 

It's a gamble.  I generally don't take it unless I'm in some sort of need, but not an urgent need.
- Scott

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 06:40:06 PM »
Having tried lots of various super glues I have settled on a two stage approach:
1) 'spot weld' using the gel & when that has dried;
2)  flood the join with the 'runny' stuff.

This gives me the strength of joint, without gluing my fingers to the figures.

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 10:59:48 PM »
Thanks for the replies, and tips.

I've used the Zap stuff in the past, but it seems like the majority of the time it dried out after only one or two uses, in many cases.  Used to use a needle to break through the crust left in the tip, when needed.

I live in a very, non-humid environment, generally, though I suspect in Winter, it could be an issue.

Never thought of the jar with rice, so that's a good idea.

Will have to try some of the cheap stuff, since it sounds like it may work reasonably well.  Was a bit worried it might be worthless, as some cheap items are.

Can't hurt to give it a go, since at $1, there's not much to lose.  Certainly beats $10+.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 12:18:21 PM »
these superglue tubes are good ....but i use some neoprene glue with to rise the level higher .
Make it harder and faster drying.
For the too fast drying glue in the tube, i stock my opened tube upside, not horizontaly. i keep it very longer
To prevent the cap to dry on the tube, i put some water on the pipe before closing it. the superglue is hydrophobic... ;)
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 01:34:21 PM »
To prevent the cap to dry on the tube, i put some water on the pipe before closing it. the superglue is hydrophobic... ;)
I don't think so, but I'm no chemist, but if I understand it correctly superglue or cyanoacrylate is a resin that polymerises in the presence of water, so what you want to do to keep it from drying out or polymerizing is keep water away, although maybe putting water on the pipe makes sure all the liquid superglue that is on the pipe hardens before the cap goes on, instead of slowly hardening when the cap is on and glueing the cap to the tube, in any case adding water is not a solution to prevent it from drying