Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:59:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dollar Store Superglue - Any Good?  (Read 4988 times)

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
Re: Dollar Store Superglue - Any Good?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 01:54:22 PM »
superglue and water don't go well together ....that's only what i can say.
Several time, i get some superglue on the tongue (ok it's not very cautious but....) and i can say that the glue doesn't stay on the tongue after a few minutes. it's different on the fingers and hand....
anyway, during the use of the tube i alway keep it upside. Even in sunny weather (hot temperature) and never get problems with glue drying (even in the pipe)....

cheers
Eric
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 03:24:16 AM »
I've largely used the dollar store superglue and have only discovered a few issues with it. I tend to stock up on both standard and the gel when I end up at the dollar stores...

The big issue is that it seems to frost things a whole lot more than the more expensive brands.

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 07:49:37 AM »
I shall definitely refrain from applying it to my tongue.

Tried some of the thin stuff, on some tin, 1/600th scale aircraft, since supposedly it's better for metal.  Didn't really work for me.  Perhaps I was letting it dry out too quickly before getting the parts together, or it just doesn't work - might have been getting a wee bit too much too, on the pieces, but I don't think so.

Switched to the gel, and it too, took some time.  Apparently, you have to hold the small pieces forcefully together in place, for 15 seconds, as it dries.  Hard to do with some very small minis.  Need to find my old tweezers again for that.

Did seem to work better, at least for me, even though the back of the package says the thin stuff is better for gluing metal.  Not sure about that, but I think the get stuff may have worked. 

Will have to see, as I prep them for painting, going forward.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 08:33:21 AM »
I shall definitely refrain from applying it to my tongue.

Tried some of the thin stuff, on some tin, 1/600th scale aircraft, since supposedly it's better for metal.  Didn't really work for me.  Perhaps I was letting it dry out too quickly before getting the parts together, or it just doesn't work - might have been getting a wee bit too much too, on the pieces, but I don't think so.

Switched to the gel, and it too, took some time.  Apparently, you have to hold the small pieces forcefully together in place, for 15 seconds, as it dries.  Hard to do with some very small minis.  Need to find my old tweezers again for that.

Did seem to work better, at least for me, even though the back of the package says the thin stuff is better for gluing metal.  Not sure about that, but I think the get stuff may have worked. 

Will have to see, as I prep them for painting, going forward.

When i say i have some glue on my tongue, i mean it was a transfert from my fingers to my tongue indeed.  ;)