Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:57:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689348
  • Total Topics: 118276
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 3d Printed, 2mm Pike and Shot Unit  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Forwardmarchstudio

• Librarian
3d Printed, 2mm Pike and Shot Unit
« on: June 11, 2018, 08:07:57 AM »
Check out my newest creation:  2mm Pike and Shot at 1:1 figure ratios and true 2mm ground scale.

A lot of experimentation, trial and error, and cursing went into creating these guys.  My pike blocks print up very nicely in SLS, and allow you to achieve a 1:1 figure ratio for your pike blocks.  The pike in this picture came on a sprue of 8 bases, and over 700 pikemen modeled on it.  Each pike tip printed up, with no broken tips.  You can get these guys at my website:

www.forwardmarchstudios.com

The models in the picture are already available.  Along with my cavalry, artillery, and generals, you can use these to re-create most battles in the Renaissance.  I will be doing a major update over the next week or so that will see the release of my complete Renaissance range, which will include a variety of base sizes and rank /file combinations, of both the pike and the shot, so that you can recreate the combat formations during this experimental period of warfare.  Lots more will be included, including the first of what will be several cathedral models.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: 3d Printed, 2mm Pike and Shot Unit
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 11:32:55 AM »
Very interesting. A great way of making whole armies.

Are there about 90 pike in the central block, I can count 11 files, but not certain of the depth.

The shotte seem to be 15x5.

So this is a fairly small ‘regiment’. Which means the width would increase even more, assuming depth stays at 5 or 6 ranks.

This then makes me question how the central pikes could defend the shot when they are so distant.

Offline Forwardmarchstudio

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 01:59:24 PM »
Hi Fred.
There are actually 23 pike per rank, and 4 ranks.  The pike are slightly offset by a few 1/10s of a milimeter so I can fit them all in.  This gives 92 men in the block.

Its my understanding that these units were very fluid in shape.  One formation apparently involves the pike forming on line deep behind the infantry; such a model will be included in the release.  The pike and shot would also sometimes deploy separately from each other; you can see this in woodblock prints. 

The unit shown is not really a 1:1 regiment; it is more like a 2:1 regiment, something you might use for DBR or something similar.  I just wanted to paint one up to show how they look.  When I get more time I will be getting some proper 1:1 pike and shot units finished.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 01:45:34 AM »
It’s like rice grain wars! But they look very effective for mass battle lol
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984