Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2018, 01:52:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1232980
  • Total Topics: 86894
  • Online Today: 150
  • Online Ever: 697
  • (July 31, 2016, 09:46:52 PM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Favourite brown terrain paint discontinued : ( [Wilko tester pot]  (Read 207 times)

Offline Charlie_

• mad scientist
Well this is annoying.

For all my terrain boards and bases, I have used the same texturing and painting technique.
1 - Apply filler, stipple it for texture.
2 - Base coat [Wilko 'nutmeg spice']
3 - Drybrush layers [several other lighter colours from Wilko]
4 - Wash [Wilko 'java bean']
5 - Flock

I use basic emulsion paints form Wilko (a store in the UK), which you can get in little £1 tester pots if you don't need much. A while back I found that one of the colours I used as a drybrush layer (it was called 'coffee') was discontinued... Annoying, but I realised it wasn't really needed as I was doing two more lighter drybrush layers on top, followed by a dark wash.

But now they seem to have gone and discontinued the 'java bean' one I used for the dark wash!!!  >:( >:( >:(

This is very annoying for me. I've tried getting a similar colour from other brands, but you know what it's like... You find one that looks about right in the shop, take it home, open and find that it's NOTHING like the original, nowhere close. Ordering a similar colour online is only going to cause more frustration and disappointment.

I've tried mixing a similar colour, but can't get it.

The thing is, most of the terrain boards are covered in flock, so it doesn't really matter if the brown earth underneath is slightly different. But it's the roads and pathways which I need to try and match perfectly!

Just venting a bit of frustration here. Damn you Wilko!

Offline Humakt

• mad scientist
Re: Favourite brown terrain paint discontinued : ( [Wilko tester pot]
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 06:09:10 PM »
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used Java Bean as well!

Fortunately I still have two unopened sample pots in the shed.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Supporting Adventurer
  • scatterbrained genius
    • Shed Wars
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 06:56:07 PM »
Can I suggest that you paint some of your tester pot onto a white sheet of paper

Take said sheet into B&Q and get them to make you a big 5litre pot matched up to your colour - their paint matching service is excellent

Offline has.been

• mad scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 07:59:25 PM »
I too have been hit by the withdrawal of 'Java Bean' Last year I finally standardised my basing style.
coat with 'Java bean', then dry brush first 'Nutmeg Spice' followed by 'Chocolate Dream'.
Now Wilco have foiled me, drat them!
I do have some in reserve, so no immediate panic. Good idea Eric, I will bear it in mind.

By the way I had only just gotten over the removal of Sandex's textured 'Bitter Chocolate'
(tester size) masonry paint.

Offline jeffreythancock

• Supporting Adventurer
  • assistant
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 12:12:37 AM »
At 1:1 scale, soil color does vary!  :o