Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:27:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690822
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Experiments with rubble  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Experiments with rubble
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 11:50:59 AM »
I'd love to put more details inside but it will simply get in the way, I am tempted to put some partial floors in to make it more interesting to play on though.

Thanks for the comments all!  Keep them coming! 

The table will have a lot of loose scatter added, basically because gluing it all down is very expensive (and smelly) in superglue!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 03:10:32 AM »
Lots of good thoughts but perhaps it should be re-stated the OP has mentioned that his model is of a building post-clean up which is what I mentioned as a possibility in my response (#2) to his original post.  I think just a little bit more white will fix the exterior rubble.  I do agree that the interior could stand a good 'sooting up' to add to the 'realism' while maintaining playability.

Is the photo of Stalingrad, perhaps?  The damaged circular area the fountain across the river where Russian reinforcements were sent in?  (I'm thinking of Enemy At The Gates)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2018, 07:22:54 AM »
It's the Koeningsplatz outside the Reichstag ;)

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=108673.0

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 01:22:38 AM »
Holy sacred monkey crap, did you build that, dude?!  That's a phenomenal model - the Reichstag.  And forget whether it is accurate or not, it is amazing. :o   

Moments later and post Google search finds your other thread - see what I get for not being into WWII.  Had no idea.  Quite a project.

I stand by my first comment two paragraphs above.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 07:00:14 AM »
There's definitely got to be a balance between realism and playability. I like the idea of bits of furniture in amongst the rubble but depending on how many periods you want your ruin to cover, that might be for more generic items like wooden chairs, tables, etc. If it's a building that you could use for Napoleonics through to WWII you're not going to burying metal drums in it, for example.

Buildings don't always collapse inwards either (very often, but not always), particularly buildings that suffer subsequent fire damage. If a building has burning timberwork after initial impact it can expand the timbers and push out external walls, lean-tos, extensions, etc. I've seen the aftermath of this as recently as a few months ago where a timber truss pushed out brick columns and wall plates causing the walls to collapse outwards.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 07:21:21 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions :D
Furniture would be good, but none in the pics, I might have a go at laser cutting a few bits like chairs and tables.

The Reichstag is pretty bonkers even by my standards... ;D

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2018, 07:27:30 AM »
For cheap futniture have a look at furniture for dollhouses. Go for 1:48 in dollhouse it is also called quarter scale.

Like these sets. They are as cheap as it gets and you can scatter them about.
http://www.atriflesmall.co.uk/148th-scale/148th-scale-furniture/148th-scale-brown-plastic-furniture

But be carefull going down that rabbit hole. Because there is a line between building awesome scenery to play with your toy soldiers. And just making doll houses. And it does get very blurry. When you ar searching everywhere for just the right ottoman to match the carpet and wallpaper in your latest bombed out building.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 07:32:46 AM by Dr. Zombie »

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2018, 07:28:48 AM »
Winner!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2018, 07:34:25 AM »
Excellent call on the doll's house furniture. I've picked up grandfather clocks, tables, chairs for my WWII ruins. Not used them yet though!

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2018, 09:54:25 AM »
Maybe add a bit more gunfire damage? A series of machine gun holes, individual bullet/shell holes? An unfortunate military or civilian casualty caight in the rubble?