Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:52:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gibby's Rackham Fixation (9/15/21 Resurrection!)...  (Read 53002 times)

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
Re: Gibby's Rackham Fixation (Updated 1-17 Wolfen Predator)...
« Reply #270 on: January 22, 2020, 03:42:33 PM »
Been working on my dwarves a bit more.... finally built a base and also touched up my Armored Chariot... and also finished these other 2 Soldiers of the Plains...

Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Gibby's Rackham Fixation (Updated 1-22 Armored Chariot)...
« Reply #271 on: January 22, 2020, 03:57:17 PM »
fantastic ...

can only bemoan the relative unavailability of these figures once more ... but lovely to see them in your thread.

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #272 on: January 22, 2020, 05:12:42 PM »
fantastic ...

can only bemoan the relative unavailability of these figures once more ... but lovely to see them in your thread.

I don't expect them to be lost in time... they are to my knowledge the only range that once had global popularity to not still be in production by somebody... the range still exists and keeps being bought... just by incompetent people or people who do not have the money to breath life into it once again. 

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #273 on: January 22, 2020, 06:09:27 PM »
No, the sculptors remained mostly the same throughout its history... The multi-part was a push to market to people using for Confrontation Rag'narok, warhammer, and other systems where large armies were needed and people didn't want to repeat 3 or 4 sculpts over and over again... it allowed the minis to be built in many ways with weapons and arms to be angled differently much as our sprues are now... they were innovators there and at the forefront of the multi-part sprue.... I remember a LOT of warhammer Orc and Dwarven armies being built using a lot of Rackham sculpts because at the time GW had gotten pretty bland with their sculpts... They obviously remedied that, but rackham was hot on their tails for a while and the number 3 system in europe after warmachine... then... death.

I lost very much interest in CO when they tried to switch to racknarök. Te rules were teased for ages iirc and irackham wasn’t ready to face GW, yet. They had a superior miniature line and a hardcore fanbase who wanted nice, individual models...I had stopped played warhammer years ago (and the great Chronopia which I liked even more) because I didn’t have the time to collect and paint so many models. Confrontation was so attractive because with about 5-10 you could already have a good game.

The multi part boxes may have been pretty innovative at their time, but I recall them being too fiddly, rather expensive (compared to the blisters, not on a model/€-scale, mind you) and while some were really great (lions, griffins, midnor, drunes and …zombies!), others looked awkward (elves) or strange because everyone had two weapons.

But somthing else: your constant showing off the awesomeness of the old Rackham models has relit my passion for them and I searched my old collection and plan to repaint some of them to play Co Evolution.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #274 on: January 22, 2020, 06:10:32 PM »
I don't expect them to be lost in time... they are to my knowledge the only range that once had global popularity to not still be in production by somebody... the range still exists and keeps being bought... just by incompetent people or people who do not have the money to breath life into it once again.

So true...I really wish those Ukrainian guys would still sell the models they had the moulds for.

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #275 on: January 22, 2020, 08:58:38 PM »
I lost very much interest in CO when they tried to switch to racknarök. Te rules were teased for ages iirc and irackham wasn’t ready to face GW, yet. They had a superior miniature line and a hardcore fanbase who wanted nice, individual models...I had stopped played warhammer years ago (and the great Chronopia which I liked even more) because I didn’t have the time to collect and paint so many models. Confrontation was so attractive because with about 5-10 you could already have a good game.

The multi part boxes may have been pretty innovative at their time, but I recall them being too fiddly, rather expensive (compared to the blisters, not on a model/€-scale, mind you) and while some were really great (lions, griffins, midnor, drunes and …zombies!), others looked awkward (elves) or strange because everyone had two weapons.

But somthing else: your constant showing off the awesomeness of the old Rackham models has relit my passion for them and I searched my old collection and plan to repaint some of them to play Co Evolution.

So glad to have spurred you on! They are unique figs indeed and the projects done by the italians (Conf Evo) and the French ConFederation with their version really are great playable games. I still enjoy a big battle and the Version 4 (age of rag'narok) are really pretty good using the esoteric order of gamers tweaks and additional unit cards... other then that, I use dragon rampant as a rule system for the big battles...

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #276 on: January 22, 2020, 09:55:23 PM »
So glad to have spurred you on! They are unique figs indeed and the projects done by the italians (Conf Evo) and the French ConFederation with their version really are great playable games. I still enjoy a big battle and the Version 4 (age of rag'narok) are really pretty good using the esoteric order of gamers tweaks and additional unit cards... other then that, I use dragon rampant as a rule system for the big battles...

I did try ASoBH with some tweaks and it worked great to get the models on the table, but CoEVO keeps me thinking since I found it...it’s really a great amount of work that these guys invested to remove the (many, many) flaws the original system had.

Is there a good online source to the other two sets (confFed+EOOG)?

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #277 on: January 24, 2020, 06:46:00 PM »
Baal the Conqueror! .... from the Kelts of the Sessairs clan.... and a Royal Guard from the Lions of Alahan... I kept the details minimal on the Royal Guard as it has a factory defect of "mold shift"... so the lack of details hides the imperfection.... He is an absolute tank on the battlefield though!...

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
Re: Gibby's Rackham Fixation (Updated 1-24 Baal the Conqueror)...
« Reply #278 on: January 29, 2020, 04:22:23 PM »
Further Progress on my Predator Wolfen box set.... First is a Sylvan Animae.. they are tree spirits that formed an alliance with the Wolfen... they have magical abilities that help the Wolfen, and the Wolfen offer brute size and force to protect them.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Gibby's Rackham Fixation (Updated 1-29 Wolfen)...
« Reply #279 on: February 03, 2020, 09:55:02 AM »
yet more great figures - top stuff.

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
Re: Gibby's Rackham Fixation (Updated 1-29 Wolfen)...
« Reply #280 on: February 03, 2020, 08:36:24 PM »
Had fun Painting up these Cynwall Asadars... Really like how dynamic they ended up... The elves are getting tough!...

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Gibby's Rackham Fixation (Updated 2-3 Elves)...
« Reply #281 on: February 03, 2020, 09:24:20 PM »
by gum - the number of figures you must have- and your painting rate (and quality) - are phenomenal !
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:57:23 AM by Bloggard »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #282 on: February 03, 2020, 09:36:27 PM »
Really nice work on the figures as well as your bases.   :-*
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #283 on: February 03, 2020, 09:53:12 PM »
Great work mate on those asadars

8)

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #284 on: February 06, 2020, 10:54:41 PM »
Thanks everyone!... as to the comment about the number of Rackham miniatures... it's... a .... lot... I completed the entire 1250+ catalog last year... and I have doubles and tripples of probably 35-40% of them... I HOPE to have the entire catalog painted within 5 yrs.... stay tuned! I painted 468 minis last year... a lot of those were song of ice and fire and joan of arc... but a lot of Rackham too... I plan to paint around the same amount this year, but it will probably mostly be Rackham.... I have some ice and fire boxes to paint as well... but I hope to keep up the pace.

Here is the last of my Wolfen Predators box set.... painting some random heroes from misc. factions next.