Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:07:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Just discovering Age of Sigmar and Stormcast Eternals  (Read 5375 times)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
Just discovering Age of Sigmar and Stormcast Eternals
« on: June 12, 2018, 10:29:00 PM »
I am wondering what people think of these minis?

For a while I found them to be really silly looking but then I started to appreciate them.  Makes me wonder about how open to new ideas and new ways of seeing things I am in general.

They drybrush and layer really well and the size of the text on the streamers is great for using a wash to shade.  They're really easy to paint if you want a basic color scheme.

Does anyone know what the decals on the shoulders represent, though?

Offline Blasphemia Blackwood

• Librarian
    • Gardens of Hecate
Re: Just discovering Age of Sigmar and Stormcast Eternals
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 07:59:32 AM »
Stormcast Eternals were designed to be easy to paint, and are basically the fantasy version of the very popular and lucrative Space Marines of WH40K.

I actually like the base concept, both visual and backgroundwise. I do have things I absolutely hate on the minis, though: most prominently the shoulder pads and the weapons. I've made a small group of Sigmarines, and I ended up converting the hell out of them.

The decals on the shoulders are meant to be the symbol of their Conclave within a Warrior Chamber of their Stormhost... A Conclave is basically their function on the battlefield; as either scout (Angelos), elite (Paladin), core (Reedeemer) or ranged support (Justicar).

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 04:20:33 PM »
Thanks for the answer.

> A Conclave is basically their function on the battlefield; as either scout (Angelos), elite (Paladin), core (Reedeemer) or ranged support (Justicar).

Can you tell me which symbol is for which, though?  Lightning, crescent moon, etc.?

Most of those weapons are ridiculous.  That's my biggest gripe.  I do like the regular bows, though.  They look like they are shooting big harpoons or javelins.  The giant hammers really look like someone is trying to compensate for something else.

All the lightning bolts coming from the heads and backpacks are a little silly but I can get used to them, especially if they are meant to be mythological and magical as opposed to gritty and earthly.

Some of the characters look fantastic, though, and I LOVE the expressions on the expressionless masks (so to speak).

Surprisingly, my wife and daughter really liked them.

When I first saw them, with helmets on, I somehow envisioned light, good-guy wraiths (technically, a wraith is animated clothing with no body inside), just energy inside, animating the golden armor.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 05:26:19 PM »
I agree - I hated the idea of fantasy space marines at first, but I have warmed to them, and the features you pointed out - the texted streamers and the expressionless masks - make them interesting beasties. I should be ashamed to admit I am really warming to the easy-build models which do not have oodles of fiddly bits too  8)
Can't help much about the background, just enjoying painting them e.g.:

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 05:35:02 PM »
Nice job!

How is the weight on that guy?  Does he tip over too easily?  I keep imagining needing a lead weight in that base.

You might want to do some more coloring on those wings.  They lend themselves to a very nice effect when the color changes, radiating outward from where the "feathers" insert, and also they're well-raised so drybrushing them would also look great.

Just some thoughts on that already-great-looking example you posted.

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 06:51:39 PM »
I have to agree with pretty much everyone else in the thread. At first, I loathed the sigmarines and their ilk, thinking that they were a poor substitute for the original fantasy miniatures. I think that the biggest turn-off for me, was the fact that I couldn't relate them to anything I'd seen in the Old World, and therefore didn't connect them to the Warhammer universe at all. They felt like imposters and fakes, trying to rip off one of my most beloved fantasy worlds since I was 11.
Then I read this blog: http://www.exprofundis.com/stormcast-eternals-of-the-immortal-tribunal/

...And I was instantly sold. I went and bought a starter-box with some different khorne-guys and 5 Stormcast Eternals. They were actually a joy to paint up. I recently painted up the Naeve Blacktalon miniature as well. My only changes to the miniature was a resculpt of the ridiculous boob-plate, parts of the cloak and the axes. She painted up just as good as the snap-fit ones from the small box, and I really like the pose of the miniature. I'm currently eyeing what to do next...

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 07:07:46 PM »
Nice job!

How is the weight on that guy?  Does he tip over too easily?  I keep imagining needing a lead weight in that base.

You might want to do some more coloring on those wings.  They lend themselves to a very nice effect when the color changes, radiating outward from where the "feathers" insert, and also they're well-raised so drybrushing them would also look great.

Just some thoughts on that already-great-looking example you posted.
Thanks - there is a variation in shade, it's not seen at all in the pic though.
They don't tip as badly as you'd think they should, but a weight under the base is recommended - especially as their long wings tend to get snagged on sleeves, and a weight would help against upsetting. Using a stone as part of the scenery is an alternative - I used shale here which weighs the model down nicely.

• Librarian
    • Gardens of Hecate
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 07:32:38 PM »

Can you tell me which symbol is for which, though?  Lightning, crescent moon, etc.?

Here you go. This is from White Dwarf:

When I first saw them, with helmets on, I somehow envisioned light, good-guy wraiths (technically, a wraith is animated clothing with no body inside), just energy inside, animating the golden armor.

I imagined the same thing. But then they showed later that they looked like humans underneath, and I was disappointed. The more  fleshed-out they get, the less appeal they have for me.

This is what I did with mine:

It's only one of the redesign ideas I have. I'm planning a golden one as well for a different project, conversion based on a non-stormcast figure.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:36:35 PM by Blasphemia Blackwood »

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 08:22:14 PM »
Ah, those rusty ones are yours?

I have a copy of that image in my phone that I use for inspiration.

Great job!

What rust color/paint did you use?

• Librarian
    • Gardens of Hecate
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 08:37:39 PM »
Yup. Thanks!

I used Secret Weapon weathering acrylics for the rust. It's all here; I got asked about it a lot so I made a tutorial with pictures and all: LINKY.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 07:37:24 AM »
I do have things I absolutely hate on the minis, though: most prominently the shoulder pads and the weapons.

I couldn't agree more with you on the weapons! For me, the big hammers look as if they must be made of foam. Yours are tremendous - and the more proportionate weapons really help.

ErikB, I painted one of them when they first came out, with a head and weapon swap. One thing that annoys me about these miniatures is how cluttered they are with detail. I much prefer big open spaces to paint on, so had to spend a lot of time carving off the extraneous detail.

Offline Loop

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 03:11:36 PM »
One thing that annoys me about these miniatures is how cluttered they are with detail. I much prefer big open spaces to paint on, so had to spend a lot of time carving off the extraneous detail.

I agree with this; I think it’s a side effect of digital sculpting. The designers can get into every single nook and cranny and fill it with detail in a way they never could before.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 04:52:57 PM »
I agree with this; I think it’s a side effect of digital sculpting. The designers can get into every single nook and cranny and fill it with detail in a way they never could before.
That's actually a good topic to discuss.

One thing I love about the Copplestone minis is the open areas to paint.  It's easy to get a nice surface, nice transitions (e.g. sleeve to hand), and so on.  I like the World of Twilight and Pulp Figures minis for similar reasons (plus their creativity).

One thing I love about some of GW's minis is the extreme amount of texture and detail they fit in.  This makes it easier to shade and highlight complex rough surfaces like skin.  Even the straps are easy to edge, which I find is the most difficult part of mini painting (e.g. a brown strap with light brown edge highlights).

I just did up some orcs (orrucks?) and they were a breeze to paint for this reason exactly.

Some of the best sculpts I've ever seen come from Hassle Free.  They're amazing.  Their proportions are such that I think the minis would still appear lifelike if they were enlarged to human-size. 

They're very difficult to paint, however because they lack the detail and they lack the broad surfaces with strong transitions

It must be rough being a sculptor.  One can't please everyone all the time.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 09:22:39 PM »
I think Stormcast are a great-looking faction for big battles. You picked the right time to start liking them. A whole raft of new sculpts are coming out with the amazing AoS 2nd Ed starter box:

My fantasy projects of late are all about dunegon delving and I think Stormcast have limited relevance there. They are mighty heroes, not plucky (read: foolhardy) adventurers desperate enough to go down a hole full of who knows what.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 04:24:06 AM »
Its probably telling that the ones I've seen that I liked are the ones people have converted the crap out of. As someone who never moved on to AoS they have pretty limited use for me gaming wise.