Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:29:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Modular Tower 3d Sculpts  (Read 2513 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Modular Tower 3d Sculpts
« on: June 13, 2018, 04:45:46 AM »
I downloaded Blender a while ago and decided to look at some tutorials to see how it worked. I found a quick 15 minutes one to get me into sculpting buildings.
First up I decided I needed a good tower form my SS&SS games so I knocked out a quick building. I'm no engineer so don't know if it would even be feasible but it looks nice enough. I printed it out at work. It took about 14 hours. I've made 3 other pieces (2 windows, 1 window and no window sections) They are stackable so I can make it high. It is meant to be a wizard tower with the top most section with a stairway leading to nowhere, just to get him a bit highers so he can do some magic.
Then last night I quickly made up some small ruins. I'll keep adding to these until I actually have a proper big building. This took only an hour to print as I made it super quick.
Poor quality photos as they printed out in white. Hopefully I'll get some paint on them soon although I'm more interested in creating rather than painting at the moment. I actually individually sculpted detail onto the outside of each stone but not the inside part. Forgot about that.
20180613_162909 by Kieran Me, on Flickr
20180613_162929 by Kieran Me, on Flickr
20180613_162948 by Kieran Me, on Flickr
20180613_162942 by Kieran Me, on Flickr

Well those are crap photos.
Here are some of the blender sculpts for a better look.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:46:42 AM by beefcake »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Towers and Ruins
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 07:04:39 AM »
Nice; goes to show that 3D printing really is the future of our hobby :)

They now look like they're made out of sugar cubes, but I'm convinced by the potential. Can you give us a pic with a 28mm figure next to the pieces?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Towers and Ruins
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 08:21:00 AM »
Will do.
I accidentally made them a bit small. I forgot to take account for the bases and the door is a bit small but not ridiculously so. each section is about 40mm tall (not the topper though.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Towers and Ruins Now with base coat and drybrush
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 10:22:14 AM »
Here's the scale shot. So yes, I should have made them larger but it's not a deal breaker making me want to completely reprint. I have 2 more prints I'm going to grab tomorrow to make it even taller. I will probably also sculpt a proper roof for it.
I still need to put washes onto this as it is just spray primed and then dry brushed.
The floor boards have been base coated, but not the hatches.

2018-06-16_09-16-19 by Kieran Me, on Flickr
2018-06-16_09-16-54 by Kieran Me, on Flickr
2018-06-16_09-17-15 by Kieran Me, on Flickr

I also left the underneath joiner on the base piece accidently so it has made me want to create an even large bottom part with some stairs leading to the door.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 11:33:51 AM »
Here is a building I am working on. Possibly a tavern or store of some sort. I'm going to put some stairs and do a second story. A small room at the back as well. I will be doing wooden bracing on the outside as well. I'll even try our some shingle roofing for it as well.
Slow going with this as I'm doing all the stones a different size. I'm not even going to try different angles on the stone as that would just do my head in filling all the gaps. I'm enjoying it and hoping that I'll be able to keep my enthusiasm up. Maybe a layer or two a day would work. Some of the stone has been sculpted already (and printed as the ruins in the previous post) but the rest still need sculpting. I did sculpt a whole load of them but then forgot to save it! ARGH!!!!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 10:25:41 PM »
I've just finished designing the roof to the tower so this gives another option. Initially I had a super high poly count and the file was 500MB. I decimated it down to 30MB. I may even think about putting a window in the top of it.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 10:50:37 PM »
Interesting. I’ve used Rhino for years now but I can see the advantage of Blender et al.

I’ve always found making conical roofs a bit of a bugger lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 11:00:47 PM »
You are very right with that. I was thinking about an A frame for the tavern I'm making and the idea of having everything at a fairly uniform angle made me sigh with relief. lol

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 02:42:32 AM »
 lol

I still prefer to make things by hand but I’m finding more and more that I’m using prints as a core to build upon using more traditional techniques.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 08:20:53 AM »
There is more of a feeling of accomplishment when building with your hands isn't there.
I'm thinking of running a small Kickstarter for the tower stl files. Low price point with loads of different modules.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 09:27:37 AM »
Go for it  :)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 03:25:41 PM »
I ve done quite an extensive research on 3d printing during the winter. Watched and read alot of stuff online and visited many brick and mortar retailers here in Athens where you can actually see the process and the results. I think that indeed 3d printing is the future, but we still have a long way to go. Especially for applications like scale modelling and miniature sculpting. So for the time being, a combination of 3d printed elements (things with diffucult shapes or patterns) and good old manual labour is the way to go.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 05:25:19 AM »
A little more progress.
I've created a bridge. The two halves slot together. Gives a nice double tower look. Possibly even a gateway of some sort. I'm definitely going to print off enough pieces for this.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
Re: Modular Tower 3d Sculpts
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 07:53:10 PM »
I like the modular approach and especially the last picture with the bridge.  I think that would look cool with the bridge spanning from one tower level up to the next tower level... In buildings like this i think asymmetry matters

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Modular Tower 3d Sculpts
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 09:23:58 AM »
That would look cool. Great idea. I've go my kickstarter running and the bridge stretch goal hasn't been reached so I am going to put it up on it's own in a month or so. I think I'll use that idea as a stretch goal. Sculpting it may be a pain but not too much of a hassle. :)
Cheers mate.