Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:40:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Galloping Major  (Read 1175 times)

Offline kingsmt

• Mad Scientist
Galloping Major
« on: June 15, 2018, 04:24:12 AM »
I got a large order from Galloping Major in today. Full disclosure, Galloping Major distributes Kings Mountain figures and heads in Europe. OK, that's out of the way. As I said, full disclosure.
Way before Lance and I hooked up, I was buying packs and packs of GM figures for my personal collection. I love his sculpting style. His figures are the best line of French and Indian War figures, that you can get. I was so impressed with his sculpts, that I had my sculptor (the fantastic Alan Marsh) make my Over Mountain Men compatible with Lances figures. They also fit in with most Redoubt F&I War figures. Redoubt  are another good line. I have scads of them.
I bought multiple packs of the 3 different Settlers Defending groups. The same for the four Provincial Militia packs. I already have enough stock figures from these lines painted up. What I wanted them for, was conversions. I plan on making an AWI unit comprised of the Settlers and some KMM Over Mountain Men.
I have already removed all the GM heads from the Settlers poses and have begun to drill out the necks. Once that's completed, I'll replace the stock heads with new KMM heads and have a unique new figure for my battlefield.
I very much enjoy doing this and the end results are worth all the time and endless drilling, that it takes. Here are a few shots of my previous conversions
using Galloping Major figures with KMM heads. These turned out really well, I think.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Galloping Major
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 03:17:37 PM »
They really do look great. I'd never guess the heads were transplants. That blockhouse really looks the business, too. I love how you got it to look rough hewn. Did you use 28mm axes and adzes?  lol

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 06:10:38 PM »
Nicely done!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." - Richard Adams

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 08:10:11 AM »
Brilliant job! I must try something like that myself.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 06:59:06 PM »
I love the way kingsmt's head swap conversions using the Kings Mountain head packs have come out - and really look forward to seeing the mass project of conversions he's setting about.
As was his plan from the outset, those heads really do work remarkably well with my figures (thanks for your compliments on my sculpts kingsmt), I've been planning to try a few for my own collection - when time allows  ::) ;)
Head swaps can be extremely effective and using the packs from KMM gives an almost infinite set of possibilities - especially with the less regular types of troops for both AWI and FIW; they are a relatively quick way of completely changing the "character" of a figure and adding even greater variety to your units. "Tweaking" the head about on a head swap to try a few different angles before settling on the one you really want can pay dividends - it's amazing how much difference very small adjustments of head angle and tilt can make to the attitude of your little chaps.
Also though, let's not forget the packs of King's Mountain Miniatures AWI  militia, Continentals and dismounted Dragoons (and those packs of AWI Highlanders which come with cast-on heads) which can be found along with 27 packs of heads on the Kings Mountain Miniatures page of our website shop below for UK and other European etc. customers, US customers please go direct to King's Mountain Miniatures.

http://www.52605.mrsite.com/page18.htm

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this thread develops  :)
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 07:02:12 PM by Galloping Major »