Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:21:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Bergen 1759 Set Up  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
Battle of Bergen 1759 Set Up
« on: June 14, 2018, 04:54:13 PM »

https://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/2018/06/battle-of-bergen-1759-15mm-syw-set-up.html

After a run of Naval and Desert games it was time to blow the dust off one of my older figure collections and bring out the 15mm Seven Years War boys.

Something that has been more of a figure collecting project than a gaming period (they have only been on the table 4 times in 20 years).

A simple up and at em game, I have included our orbats and pictures of the set up along with my first ever YouTube video run through of the table.

Full AAR to follow.

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer
"Glittering prizes and endless compromises,  shatter the illusion of integrity"
http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Battle of Bergen 1759 Set Up
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 05:40:37 PM »
Your armies offer a majestic spectacle, it's a pity you have fielded them so few times...
I also liked your YouTube video. Eager to read your AAR! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 04:26:59 AM »
Lovely!!! Great to see such colourful figures on the table. Great stuff!! :)

Offline Stavka

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 05:00:21 AM »
One of my favorite SYW battles, and evidence that some gamers out there shouldn't write off the French at the time as being second rate based simply on their performance at Rossbach and Minden.

I visited the battlefield in 2003 with a much-missed late friend of mine who was living in Frankfurt.  A fascinating engagement.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 08:01:27 PM »
One of my favorite SYW battles, and evidence that some gamers out there shouldn't write off the French at the time as being second rate based simply on their performance at Rossbach and Minden.

I visited the battlefield in 2003 with a much-missed late friend of mine who was living in Frankfurt.  A fascinating engagement.

This is one of the most encouraging remarks I hear about the French. Indeed, in Bergen they gave a good account of them.
I am finishing a big 15mm SYW French army and -as every wargamer needs- I seek some signs of "superiority", but to no avail.
The most numerous European army, biggest officer to soldier ratio, highest maintenance cost. Here the plusses end.
Browsing through bibliography, one finds that the cavalry had lost its WSS quality, artillery organization was outdated and that "line infantry was brave on the attack, but they deployed indifferently"...  :'(