Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:45:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy Projects (Human Cavalry 8 April 2019)  (Read 31603 times)

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Middle Earth
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 03:41:08 PM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone!  It really helps to maintain motivation for the project.  I’m making steady progress on the orcs, but had to fix some after a slight mishap with the matte varnish; we are having some serious humidity this summer and the models came out a little frosty looking despite my attempts to give them light dustings so that wouldn’t happen. Had to give all the models a slight black wash and then the only brush on varnish I have is very glossy. So, going to have to wait and hope for a dip in the humidity.

I’m currently rereading Return of the King to keep my mind fresh on Tolkien’s works during the project.  I agree with the feel of chain mail as opposed to plate so that’s what I’m going with.  Plus, my extreme guilty pleasure is The Videssos Cycle by Harry Turtledove so there with be a lot of overlap for the humans into that universe as well.

Verderer:  I agree with your assessment of the dwarf models as well.  I don’t mind the models with two-handed weapons but the bow armed ones drove me a little crazy!

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 03:42:27 PM »
Really good models and paint jobs. Top notch scenery too (I was genuinely fooled momentarily)!

Thanks, but I wish I had scenery like that!  It my backyard  lol

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 09:26:46 AM »
Never heard of eBob before. I love their miniatures, and cheap too! I am definitely keeping them in mind for an order sometime soon, especially thanks to your excellent paint job on those spearmen! Fabulous!!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 03:19:31 PM »
Those are some stunning miniatures; I really love their look. Both the dwarves and the men are great, and your colour choice is excellent too. 8)

I knew of Ebob, but never actually checked out their Dark Age range. I will now though. Those Norman Spearmen just look absolutely perfect as Gondorians.

I do know Ebob's offerings to be on the slight side though, so I'm not sure how they would compare to the other minis I've collected for my Middle Earth project; those are on the larger side of 28mm (close to 30mm in some cases), and non-heroic.

Could you please do a comparisson shot of an Ebob spearman next to a well known other miniature? GW LotR for instance? :)

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 05:37:12 PM »
Thanks again for the comments.

First off is the first Orcish update, Oathmark Orc infantry with GW Warg Riders.  Not the best pic but I’m beholden to Mother Nature!

Daeothar:  The Warg riders are the only LotR GW models I currently have.  Here’s a quick comparison with the Ebob and Conqueror models:

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
Re: Middle Earth (Orc Update #1)
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 02:11:30 AM »
Really nice figures, the way I would like to do middle earth some day. The ebob figures for gondor got my attention. I have considered a number of options before but had not decided. I like your rocky basing style as well. I strongly recommend cropping your pictures to widescreen aspect ratios as all the wasted space detracts, IMO.

Also, thought the Conqueror dwarves were new sculpts, not rereleases of the Vendel ones. I compared pics and they are strikingly similar, but I do think I see some differences including the hammer shape of the ones with hammers. I suppose this range could include the Vendel ones with additions or even modifications to the original masters. Can someone confirm?

I like the Conqueror and Vendel dwarves and have been tempted before, but it's all or nothing with them, as they don't fit with other dwarves due to the short beards and tall stature.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 03:15:04 AM by Spooktalker »

Offline MM

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 09:19:04 AM »
The Conqueror dwarfs are all-new sculpts I think, but indeed identival style wise. They are just a little bit taller than the Vendel ones, but well within established scientific norms for variation in dwarf height ;-). I have both and they fit perfectly together, really glad this style of dwarf is available again!

Nice painting BTW, an inspiration for my own dwarfs (and I have some of those Ebob normans too...might have to "borrow" your idea in the future).

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 09:22:02 AM »
Speaking of eBob, everyone interested in ME should check out his spiders, if you haven't already?

I have some of eBobs Scots clansmen from the medieval Rebellion range, and they are rather delicate. I bought them to use as Dunlendings or similar,  and they go well with LoTR minis, and they're tiny bit shorter than the general 28mm ranges of say Foundry (but their sizes are all over the place, depending on range) and plastics like GB, Warlord etc. Haven't painted them yet though.

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 10:18:55 PM »
Fairly large update, meant to post more updates as I went but oh well.  Just continued to paint the army.  Only thing left is a giant and then I’ll call them complete for now.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Middle Earth (Orc Update #2)
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 10:54:08 PM »
Impressively motivating  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2018, 11:19:51 PM »
Great stuff  :)

Will we see them in a battle report at some point?
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 12:13:11 AM »
Thabks, Silent Invader!

Great stuff  :)

Will we see them in a battle report at some point?

Thank you!  I just put the finishing touches on the last 8 dwarf bowmen from Conqueror Models (pics coming soon) so the plan is to fight the orcs against my dwarf-man allied army this coming weekend.

Offline Giger

• Mad Scientist
    • Crucium Giger's Blog
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 11:47:11 AM »
That's a great looking force you've put together

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 12:41:54 PM »
I look forward to more  8)

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2018, 11:45:57 PM »
Unfortunately, there hasn’t been any gaming so far.  Middle Earth has been covered in canning products over the last few weeks. The smell of pickling cucumbers has permeated the house.  No complaints though, love to eat them!

Enough of that, I know what is really wanted is painted plastic and lead - and without further ado:

Final 8 bow armed dwarfs from my first order from Conqueror Models. 

The Dwarven army with human allies, almost looks as though I may have to fight the Battle of the Five armies or any northern campaigns during the War of the Ring.  Might see Bard II eventually.

Next up, Mercenaries from Khand.  An additional unit armed with bows and one with spears are definitely in the long term plans.

Finally, the Reaper Giant.  Really struggled to finish him, probably because I really enjoyed painting the Wargames Foundry Huns as Khand horsemen.

Finally, army shot of the Army of Mordor