Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:46:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686584
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bolt Action game need help  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Captain Gideon

• Librarian
Bolt Action game need help
« on: June 30, 2018, 01:21:22 AM »
Hello all well in August it'll be my Birthday(Aug 4th to be exact)and I'm having my annual Birthday game.

And this year it's going to be a Bolt Action Imperial Japanese vs US Marines.

Now my table is 6"x 8" and I have a total of 8 players(including me) taking part.

So how many squads per side would be best for this table?

Here's what I have to work with for both sides:

Japanese

14-16 Squads(13 figures per Squad)

Type 97 Chi-Ha Tank x2
Type 95 Ha-Go x1

In addition I have 2-3 Machine Gun Teams,2-3 Mortar Teams,some other small teams.

US Marines

9-Squads(4 with 9 figures and the rest with 13 figures)

Sherman Tank x2
Stuart Tank x1

In addition I have 2-3 Machine Gun Teams,2-3 Mortar Teams and some other small teams.

So what I have on hand what would be a good fight with 8 players?

I'll listen to what you advice you have.

Thanks
Michael

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
Re: Bolt Action game need help
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 09:50:14 AM »
I'd think two ways of going could be, first 3 units a player, so something like two squads and a team or one squad, a tank and a team(whatever level you like), just to keep it manageable but still have a bit of flexibility in what people can do, or chuck everything on the table divide it equally-ish between players and draw two dice at a time to keep it moving.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 02:08:25 PM »
I'd go for 3 infantry platoons and an armour platoon.  Keep the unit count down.

Draw three dice at once, if you draw 2 dice of any one colour that side goes first. 
Means people can plan while models are being moved.  Speeds things up a lot.

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 06:19:08 AM »
I'd go for 3 infantry platoons and an armour platoon.  Keep the unit count down.

Draw three dice at once, if you draw 2 dice of any one colour that side goes first. 
Means people can plan while models are being moved.  Speeds things up a lot.

I would actually give each player his own dice colour and than pull maybe three dice out of the bag, one after the other thereby determinig who goes first, who second and third. While it may not keep everyone engaged the whole time it adds friction.

As for forces I‘d give everyone a small platoon without much in the way of reinforcements. Maybe about 400 to 500 pts. each.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 04:29:01 PM »
Problem with separate dice (aside from needing 8 colours?!) it means there is no need to discuss plans with your allies.  You are just waiting for your dice.  speeds it up I suppose but reduces the interaction.

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 05:35:40 PM »
In the contrary. Imho you need to interact even more to make sure you don‘t ruin somebody else’s well laid plans. An exposed flank at the worst moment...
Aside from that I actually don‘t know how well BA does handle such engagements. I imagine it wouldn’t look and feel much different to WH40k Apocalypse battles.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 05:42:36 PM »
I like the scramble / discussion for the next dice but I don't know if that will work with 8 players.

Offline Captain Gideon

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 05:22:50 PM »
I don't think you need each player to have his own color I think 2 colors will be fine.

I use Grey for the Japanese and Germans and Green for the US Marines so the bag will have x-number of Grey dice and x-number of Green Dice for the US Marines.

In the game when a dice is pulled be it Grey or Green it'll be decided among that side's players who would like to go first and then we proceed to the next dice pulling.

I thank you for your ideas so far and look forward to more as the month progresses.

Michael