Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:05:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686579
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Seeking 'Cinematic' Skirmish Rules  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
Seeking 'Cinematic' Skirmish Rules
« on: June 15, 2018, 05:54:48 PM »
Growing up on a rich diet of WW2 comics such as Battle Picture Weekly, Warlord and Commando, I recently got to thinking that it would be rather fun to recreate the atmosphere of these in a wargame. With this in mind I was wondering if there were any rule-sets that would be able to facilitate this? My initial research suggest that Flying Lead and Bolt Action might be suitable contenders, but I'm sure the esteemed members of LAF will be able to put me straight or perhaps suggest other likely sets.

Offline boywundyrx

• Librarian
Re: Seeking 'Cinematic' Skirmish Rules
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 06:21:32 PM »
FL and BA, as I understand the latter, are different game scales, FL might be a squad per side, BA is more a platoon.

Other options that aren't strictly WWII but are simple enough to adapt would be Pulp Alley, 7TV or We Could Be Heroes.  Two Hour Wargames' Nuts is platoon level and could be ramped up to cinematic, maybe using some of their pulp rules' ideas.

Chris

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 07:18:19 PM »
Force on Force is normally considered a modern war game but there are scenarios for WW2 in Classified. This game is very cinematic in the way it works.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 08:13:42 PM »
I think FoF is not what the original poster has in mind... Mr Cxxx**** said he used pulp comics as inspiration for Bolt Action...

but then, I am under the impression each of us will have a different interpretation for Cinematic... it would be better if we, esteemed members of LAF  o_o , are exactly told what elements mr. Fipps wants to highlight!  Other than that... where have I   put my mind-reading machine?   :D
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 11:07:05 PM »
Working with the hints of 'Commando Comics', 'Warlord' (as well as 'Victor' and 'Hotspur' in my case), I'd suggest 7TV, Pulp Alley, or Nuts! (or possibly more aptly their related 'Larger Than Life' pulp rules), probably in that order too.

Standard rule sets don't really favour unequal forces of a few heroes versus a 'cast of thousands' and each of those rule sets (apart from Nuts!) have the appropriate special events, plot points and other facets of comic strips and TV/Movies. You'd have to bolt them on to Bolt Action and the like.

They aren't specifically geared for WWII, but adapting them should be pretty painless IMO. It's not like you need to be picky with weapons and precise vehicle stats after all.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 07:28:41 AM »
A custom set of event cards for 7TV could be derived by combining the existing "making a 'seventies television programme" tropes with those of your chosen film and comic tropes.

The forthcoming Apocalypse rules should have vehicle rules that would work even better.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 07:37:46 AM »
OK I am biased, but maybe check out my Victory Decisison and/ or Raid!
http://www.adpublishing.de/html/victory_decision.html
Victory Decision: World War II is an action based game that allows you to command a platoon sized force or more in this momentous conflict. It features a unique Leadership-modified alternate unit activation system. The result is a fun and fast paced war game that involves both players almost constantly.

and
http://www.adpublishing.de/html/vide_raid_.html
Victory Decision: Raid! is a new Ultraskirmish game that allows you to command a squad sized force in the momentous conflict of World War II.

Each unit in “Victory Decision: Raid!” represents one individual infantry model. Games are focused on infantry squad vs infantry squad, and a typically have 6-10 figures per side.
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 08:07:14 AM »
We played duel rule game last year.Totally chaotic and fun.

It gave quite a cinematic feel (when it worked.)

Warhammer Greatwar across the table.(4' x 8') and Pulp alley (3' x 3) in the middle.
Biggles got it handed to him, once Ginge went down to fire from the Bosh armoured car.

Not difficult to do just easy to get side-tracked with the pulp game.

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 11:25:16 AM »
Completely out of left field....

Heroes of Normandie

Yes, it's a board game but it does exactly what you're looking for. Don't think it would be too difficult to adapt for miniatures; the cards are scaled near as dammit to 1:100 (15mm iirc)

I *think* the basic rules are freely available on the Devil Pig site....

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 12:19:24 PM »
Lots to mull over, thanks chaps.

I think FoF is not what the original poster has in mind... Mr Cxxx**** said he used pulp comics as inspiration for Bolt Action...

but then, I am under the impression each of us will have a different interpretation for Cinematic... it would be better if we, esteemed members of LAF  o_o , are exactly told what elements mr. Fipps wants to highlight!  Other than that... where have I   put my mind-reading machine?   :D

I suppose that certain units or individual models have 'special rules' that make them extra hard to kill or pin etc really. I guess it wouldn't be very difficult to mod a standard skirmish (platoon-size) rule-set to cope with this. Some of the suggestions here have certainly got the old brain whirring!

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 01:24:28 PM »
Completely out of left field....

Heroes of Normandie

Yes, it's a board game but it does exactly what you're looking for. Don't think it would be too difficult to adapt for miniatures; the cards are scaled near as dammit to 1:100 (15mm iirc)

I *think* the basic rules are freely available on the Devil Pig site....

Based on the update from the OP,  I was about to recommend that. While it is a boardgame it is very miniature in its feel, the art is top notch, and has a very interesting system for heroes (both real and Hollywood inspired). Plenty of scenarios, plenty of expansions, alos the full rules are free on the devil pig website plus a whole loaf of scenarios. It is on 50% sale until the end of the month. It is grid based but works well. You can create your own terrain if you want to play with miniatures or use the provided one. for 15mm works well. 

Offline punkrabbitt

• Scientist
  • Let's do this!
    • Punkrabbitt Publishing
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 09:45:52 PM »
Five Men In Normandy or Five Men In Kursk, both from Nordic Weasel Games, handle squad vs squad action with a deliberate cinematic feel. There are some other rules of his that expand all the way up to company level.
Hi! I'm Harry. I am a hobby addict; I game sci-fi, fantasy, and historical (including Ancients, Dark Ages, Renaissance, and World War II Manchukuo.)

Please visit my OSR products for sale at www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/17194/Punkrabbitt-Publishing

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 01:27:11 PM »
While I cannot comment on the gameplay, Sinister Laboratories' / Iron Ivan Games' Where Heroes Dare! is designed with precisely this sort of game in mind:

https://rattrap-productions.com/collections/iron-ivan-rules/products/where-heroes-dare

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 12:37:59 AM »
Bolt Action is fairly cinematic in play, although without any comic book role-plaing flavour.  I enjoy BA, but am also leaning towards 7TV for playing the Rat Patrol and modelling the studio version vehicle proxies for it!

Offline agentbalzac

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 07:18:01 AM »
Five Men In Normandy or Five Men In Kursk, both from Nordic Weasel Games, handle squad vs squad action with a deliberate cinematic feel. There are some other rules of his that expand all the way up to company level.

This.  Also consider the Where Sten Guns Dare rules, also from Nordic Weasel.  This goes down to an even smaller scale and pits small groups of Commandos and Resistance against Fascists and Collaborators. It's very deliberately Commando Comic/Cinematic in style.