Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:38:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Father's Day Present  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Charlemagne

• Assistant
Father's Day Present
« on: June 15, 2018, 07:08:40 PM »
I've been painting up some Great War miniatures for my dad for father's day, and have managed to get the color test figure finished, an Offizierstellvertreter. I have 5 more almost fully base-coated, and 6 primed, so we'll see how many more I can get finished (and how many will have to be belated presents aha). Feedback is welcome!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 09:43:27 PM by Charlemagne »

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
Re: Father's Day Present
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 04:01:48 AM »
Really nice!

Care to share your color palette?
"May the dice of your God's roll like the breasts of your favorite concubine."  Graeme "Henry" Henderson, Dumfries c1980

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 09:39:20 AM »
I can’t see these pictures. Some pictures I can see on the forum and some I can’t. Wondered why this was? ::)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 10:08:50 AM »
Very good  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 06:52:10 PM »
I am really looking forward to these !  Fantastic how good it looks even blown up several times its size.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 09:16:25 PM »
Looks great :-* Your Dad will be happy!
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 12:35:57 AM »
Great work.
Thoughtful gift.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 09:44:41 AM »
Nice work!  I shall have to speak to my son and get him to up his game for next year!

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 11:54:49 AM »
I can’t see these pictures. Some pictures I can see on the forum and some I can’t. Wondered why this was? ::)

Vice nice painting. I can see the pictures on my work computer (lunchtime - not skiving!) but I can't see them on my Ipad.

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
  • would like to paint more
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 01:52:01 PM »
very nice painting and the comrade is decorated with a EK 1. ;)

Offline Charlemagne

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 05:52:15 PM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words! I have another 5 fully basecoated, and the highlighting and blending stages don't tend to take me too long so they should be done relatively shortly.

Mad Gadgeteer, I'd be happy to give you my color mixes but be warned that A.) I use army painter so I don't know the more standard names for the paints and B.) some of my mixes involve 3 colors and strange ratios, but if you can put up with that then sure thing!

The paints are;
Pants;uniform grey, then dark tone wash, uniform grey again with wet blending
Shirt; 1:1 uniform grey and army green, very small amount of monster brown, then dark ink, then first color again with wet blending and some glazing
Knee Patches; 1/5 crusted sore, 4/5 leather brown, then strong tone, then 1/7 crusted sore, 2/7 oak brown, 4/7 tanned flesh, then straight tanned flesh highlight
Assault pack straps/webbing/canteen; 2/3 leather brown, 1/3 skeleton bone, then strong tone, then original color
Bread Bag; 4/5 ash grey, 1/5 necromancer cloak then dark tone, then first color again with wet blending and glaze
Greenish Puttees; either uniform color with harsher highlighting, or if you want them to be distinct/darker then 1/3 army green, 1/3 leather brown, 1/3 necromancer cloak, then dark tone, then 1/2 ash grey, 1/2 necromancer cloak highlight
Skin; tanned flesh, then flesh wash, then barbarian flesh, then elven flesh with lots of glazing and blending (which I'm working on getting better at with skin, sigh)
Mud; monster brown
Scabbard and belt; black, dark tone, then bread bag color for tiny highlights
Shoes/canteen straps/Mauser holster straps/knife grip; oak brown, then strong tone, then 1/2 oak brown 1/2 monster brown highlights (shoes look like they need more of this so I plan to do so)
Helmet (non camo, some of the others I'm painting have camo, which uses crusted sore, desert yellow, and army green with matt black lining); necromancer cloak, then dark tone, then 2/3 necromancer cloak and 1/3 ash grey for wear lines and highlights (needs more of this too methinks)
Sorry for that block of text, but hopefully that is helpful
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 09:43:01 PM by Charlemagne »

Offline Charlemagne

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 09:42:25 PM »
Also, sorry to double post but I felt it might be better to separate this, I thought some people might want to see some of the process, so here are the next 5 NCO's and officers mostly "flatted" out and ready for detail work (excepting some helmets and a few details here and there).

Separately, I'd love to solicit a bit of advice from you guys as well, what are your thoughts on basing, is there any way to get a good "muddy ground" appearance easily?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 09:48:56 PM by Charlemagne »

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 04:45:28 PM »
Don't worry too much about 'muddy' bases. There were some battles with muddy conditions but most of the 1918 battles were across relatively untouched ground in much drier conditions. Men often look dusty rather than muddy in photos.

Robert

Offline Charlemagne

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 05:37:21 PM »
Thanks for the response, fair enough, although then the question remains as to how to make an effectively textured base, as I imagine they would still be operating in ground that had at least been dug-into, if not muddy per se.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 07:25:57 PM »
I use wood filler to give the muddy look. It comes in a variety of shades of brown.