Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:30:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 627
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: what colours to paint desert buildings  (Read 1887 times)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
what colours to paint desert buildings
« on: June 16, 2018, 07:06:17 PM »
There are loads of threads on the go at the moment about building desert terrain, both historical and science fiction.

I have some buildings for my own Star Wars/SF desert plans but I'm having trouble deciding what colours to use.

I picked up some tester pots in Wilko this morning that look promising, but I'm curious what others use.

Any colours and approaches would be much appreciated.

I'm aware I'm way overthinking this, but I figure it's easier to get some ideas rather than second guessing myself :)

Thanks

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: what colours to paint desert buildings
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 07:10:00 PM »
Something close to your table top colour would work best and don't be afraid to mix up slightly differing tones and hues.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 07:10:32 PM »
Either the same colour as your desert or white, but you probably want to pick one and stick to it. That's the big choice I always agonize over.

Unless we are talking shiny metal and plastic Sci-Fi buildings, in which case you paint them to look like shiny metal and plastic Sci-Fi buildings.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 07:54:59 PM »
I used to do white...

Now I've moved onto painting them the same colour as my deserty terrain... I think it looks a bit more realistic. My observation is that in very hot countries, with old or homespun architecture, everything gets covered in dust, faded by the sun, and tends to blend into one tonal landscape - including the buildings...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 08:00:40 PM »
Well, in real life you do get both side-by-side...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 08:34:08 PM »
Good point  :)
I base my observations on nothing more exotic than 15 years of holidays to Fuerteventura - which is pretty much Africa as far as landscape and terrain goes. In the undeveloped interior, away from the resorts, where you come across run down old box-shaped buildings in various states of disrepair, they are noticeably sandy dirt and rock coloured. If they ever had a smart coat of white paint, it’s long gone. I guess, same as houses everywhere, if you’ve got the time and the money, you might keep your house nicely painted. Otherwise...

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 07:42:39 PM »
Either the same colour as your desert or white, but you probably want to pick one and stick to it. That's the big choice I always agonize over.

yup, deciding on a colour choice is always the slowest bit for me :(

My mat at the moment is a desert felt one, but I hope to replace it at some point with a more modern and less creased mat (if only there was some way of getting creases out of cloth. You'd think someone would have invented something by now ;D)

I've been doing my bases with Vallejo Iraqui sand, but don't want to use expensive paints on large buildings, hence the Wilko's tester pots.

I think trying to match those will be the safest route, and some of the emulsion looks pretty close. Next up is shading without using expensive GW washes. I'm wondering about watercolour paint, but don't know if it will stick to the emulsion or what will happen when I try to drybrush over it. I'm just doing some test pieces at the moment, loads to explore  :D

Thanks for the advice, at least the first decision has been made :D

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 07:59:18 PM »
B&Q do 236ml tester pots and can colour match any sample you have so just paint some of your base colour on a bit of card and take it in. They're £3 each an a bargain  :)

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 03:02:38 AM »
Next up is shading without using expensive GW washes. I'm wondering about watercolour paint, but don't know if it will stick to the emulsion or what will happen when I try to drybrush over it. I'm just doing some test pieces at the moment, loads to explore  :D

Wood stain is a common choice. 
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=15132.msg597441#msg597441

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 04:33:18 AM »
Rather than using washes, I basecoat in yellow ochre, and then drybrush with a paint called 'desert sand'  (cheap craft paints, no expensive GW paints for terrain!).

Inspired by something like this

I ended up with this

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 04:51:15 AM »
My mat at the moment is a desert felt one, but I hope to replace it at some point with a more modern and less creased mat (if only there was some way of getting creases out of cloth. You'd think someone would have invented something by now ;D)
If you know anyone who works in a charity shop, the chances are they’ll have access to a steamer that they use on donated clothes. If not, you could try hanging your mat up in a steamy shower room.