Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:24:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

?

Plynkes - You know bugger all Jon Snow
157 (57.1%)
Dr Mathias - Hunters or Hunted?
118 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 275

Voting closed: June 23, 2018, 12:34:36 AM

Author Topic: Semi-final A - You know bugger all Jon Snow vs. Hunters or Hunted?  (Read 8327 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Semi-final A - You know bugger all Jon Snow vs. Hunters or Hunted?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 11:06:15 AM »
First time this year Plynkes the Destroyer was outscened

Quite. He's done a blinder there, ain't he? After all these weeks I'm pretty much running on empty at this point. I don't think I have any big scenes left in me, so had to go for a more traditional LPL five-figures-in-a-row and hope for the best, even then it felt a bit sloppy and rushed in places. Think I will take a month off painting when this is done.  :)

That truly is a magnificent piece of scene-setting, Dr. Matt. This kind of thing is why I love the LPL.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 11:08:03 AM »
So hard to decide! Both definite winners in my books. Well done both of you. Great Giant, great scenery in both. Love those spiders eyes!

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 11:12:50 AM »
Ridiculously good entries by both, Plynkes edges it for me purely because of the greater emphasis placed on the actual figure in the presented shot.

Tony.

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 11:27:24 AM »
 :o
Sooo, about that both button....

Seriously, both entries are nothing sort of amazing. The painting is the highest level and the choice of figures are great as well. They are full of character. It's really hard to choose.

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 07:07:25 PM »
But the scene is just perfect, its something between LOTR from John Howe and Ian Miller legendary Death on the Reik atmosphere.

I'm happy to hear that, Ian Miller's illustrations in the Tolkien Bestiary were my inspiration for including the castle and its color scheme. I didn't ever play the Reik scenario but I certainly knew about the evocative cover image ;)

That truly is a magnificent piece of scene-setting, Dr. Matt. This kind of thing is why I love the LPL.

Thanks, appreciated. I certainly can't find fault with your entry- the frost effect is perfect, and you have a show stopping centerpiece in that giant. That superbly painted monstrosity is up there with the best of those that have held me at bay in years past :)

I could use a roll-call on where all those figures are from. Looks like at least one Foundry but the majority are not from ranges I'm familiar with.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 07:14:05 PM by Dr Mathias »
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 07:53:50 PM »
I could use a roll-call on where all those figures are from. Looks like at least one Foundry but the majority are not from ranges I'm familiar with.

Certainly. Left to right: Orell the warg and his eagle are Frostgrave figures from North Star. They come in the same pack. Ygritte is also some kind of Frostgrave barbarian lady. The Direwolf on the right comes in the same pack as her. Jon Snow is yet another Frostgrave metal figure, this time a captain, but he has had his head replaced by that of a Foundry ancient Greek. The big bare-chested guy Tormund Giantsbane is a Foundry ancient German (wearing no shirt that far up north, he must be from Newcastle).

I got the giant on eBay second-hand. Just put "Frost Giant" into the search engine. So unfortunately I have no idea who makes it. The packaging claims he is Twinings Tea Pure Fennel, but that can't be right.  ;)

I seem to recall he's a piece from a board game, but I can't remember which one, I'm afraid. Lovely plastic figure and lots of fun to paint (i.e. easy and no dramas).

I certainly can't find fault with your entry...

Well, I can, because I was there when it was painted, and I know which two pieces were speed-painted in a panicked sloppy rush on Friday. But I'm not giving any clues as to which they are if nobody can tell.  lol

Offline Blasphemia Blackwood

• Librarian
    • Gardens of Hecate
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 07:58:47 PM »
Both great entries (unsurprisingly, at this stage in the league). But I was seriously blown away by DrMathias' atmospheric orc scene. Fantastic work once again!

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 08:45:19 PM »
Giant is from the Cmon Blood Rage game (he’s an extra I think) and you’ve reminded me I’ve been after one for ages  :D
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline ork56

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2018, 12:55:02 PM »
Can't decide this one, sorry

Offline Kev Dallimore

• Schoolboy
    • Kevin Dallimore’s personal site of model and figure painting
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 07:40:17 AM »
superb