Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:09:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690828
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Quatre-Bras Refight  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
Quatre-Bras Refight
« on: June 17, 2018, 03:47:08 PM »
Another game report: This time I refight Quatre-Bras 1815 with the Minions using 'Napoleon's Battles' rules:

http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2018/06/17/refight-of-quatre-bras-16th-june-1815/

Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Quatre-Bras Refight
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 06:28:42 PM »
A very well-written and comprehensive AAR! And many pictures highlighting all the phases of the battle!
Very well done! Thank you for sharing!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 06:30:09 PM »
Cheers DtD!  :)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 06:46:22 PM »
For unknown !?! reasons, all three Quatre Bras scenarios I've played in my life, with various rulesets, ended in a standstill...
And it always happened to take the part of the French. Where is d'Erlon?  :?

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 07:16:01 PM »
That's also been my experience, except for the last time I played the scenario with the Minions (about 5 years ago), when the French 'did a Guiton' and broke through the Allied front line with a single Cuirassier brigade, which then proceeded to win every combat and achieve all its control rolls, routing unit after unit after unit... Including the unfortunate Guards brigades, who happened to be caught in march-column... (Ouch!)

The 13 year-old 'Wellington' was not a happy chappy and hasn't played a wargame since... He joins the RAF next month as an officer, so I hope he has better luck on exercise...  lol

That reminds me; 'Ney' in that game was a girl and she's now doing extremely well as an RAF engineering officer.  :D

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 07:35:10 PM »
The French must have had tons of luck in that game...
As a historical games lover, I admire boys (and girls much more), being introduced to historical wargaming from a young age, in that way learning history and developing their strategic and tactical skills.
What more to say if, not having many games under their belt, they even achieve to give a good account of themselves, outplaying older opponents  :D

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 07:49:10 AM »
awesome. I need to paint me the Bylandt's Brigade
\"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.\"

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 11:52:54 AM »
I've refought this battle many times with different sets of rules. Most recently with Blucher. Before that with Shako, and a Napoleonic DBA variant
Seen wins for both sides and a lot of draws. It's a good one to refight, along with Albuera. Not too big, and pretty balanced.