Forum > General Wargames and Hobby Discussion

Single miniature rulesets?

(1/4) > >>

Johnno:
Help!

Im looking for a ruleset where each player controls 1 figure and can interact with NPCs.. Similar to a RPG but without advancement/XP.

Setting isn't important as I can modify to suit my needs. But if it helps, I'm planning a Cold War Spy vs Spy style game with 6+ players. 28mm scale, roughly 3x3 playing surface.

I suppose, worst case scenario I can create some homebrew ones but was just wondering if something already exists or if anyone has tried this before.

Thanks in advance

v_lazy_dragon:
Only thing that I can think of that is vaguely similar is the old GW inquisitor rules set. That was very much a table-top RPG in terms of details and skills.. And for all they suggested using a handful of figures a side individuals would work well enough I would have thought

has.been:
Lots of skirmish games can be used for 'Single miniature rulesets'
I was introduced to skirmish wargaming by a very nice gent, Brian Povey (sadly no longer with us).
he would often set up such games e.g. each player was one of the 'Magnificent seven' he would
run EVERYTHING else:-
Mexican Banditos; Villagers; Cattle; Goats and even down to an angry rattlesnake.
You might consider doing something similar with another  rule-set such as Black Ops.
I believe that Osprey's web-site has the Quick reference Sheet for free, worth a look. 

Jagannath:
I've tinkered a few times with single models rulesets and here's what I've found (for what it's worth):

There needs to be quite a lot of terrain interaction and movement to make it worthwhile as a miniatures game (as opposed to more of a pen and paper type exercise). NPCs, sneaking about, whatever.

Melee is boring, unless characters can disengage, move away, try things. I spent a fair chunk of time working on a mod of Ganesha's Mighty Monsters to play some monster hunter (think Witcher - a hero versus an overpowered beast), and whilst it worked OK, it really didn't need to be a miniature game.

What did work from the Ganesha rules is the sense of 'gambling' - push for extra actions vs. a turnover. I keep thinking some mod of this using a wheel (so players gamble with the number of actions they take vs when their opponent might act) might be worth returning to.

Sorry, not massively helpful.

Jagannath:
Oh, and I misunderstood the question a little.

For multiplayer games like that, why not just use a regular ruleset (sounds like Pulp Alley might be good) and have characters activations based on a card draw. So effectively it's a PulpAlley game with 6 sides, those sides just happen to be one mini.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version