Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:37:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Churchill Firefly? FireHill? Possible to create? 1/56th  (Read 3830 times)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Churchill Firefly? FireHill? Possible to create? 1/56th
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2018, 12:08:16 PM »
lol you are not wrong.  Black prince would be an interesting build, but those wheels... :o

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2018, 04:10:29 PM »

no one has made a 1/56th challenger A30
There is a JTFM one in the pipe, but I wouldn't like to try & put a date on its release (here's a pic of the tracks & running gear attached to his Cromwell).
 A Black Prince would be very cool though...
 If we're indulging in a little whatifery, how about the Charioteer (I know it didn't appear til 1950, but exigencies of war & all that..) It's a slight puzzle that they could fit a new turret mounting a 20pdr/84mm onto a pretty much standard Cromwell hull (the turret ring was widened slightly) but not have figured out how to do the same with the 17pdr a few years earlier (the 20pdr is a lot bigger in all dimensions & although the turret was a bit of a bodge - tall & fairly lightly armoured - it's not too different in concept to that of the Challenger). A charioteer would also be a far easier kitbash & scratchbuild, as you'd only have to come up with the turret/gun  - a fairly simple shape.

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2018, 05:20:56 PM »
I'll probably get around to Cromwells and craziness eventually.
Too much to do!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2018, 08:22:12 AM »
I suspect the reason it fits is due to the Bishop/KV-2 style turret and only having two crew (I think at least one of the Cromwell based 17 pounder tank destroyers had a four crew turret due to ammunition concerns).

The Churchill turret ring is about six inches narrower than a base Cromwell (the Charioteer probably went up to Comet sized).

As a "what if", apparently one was fitted with an L7 for testing purposes.