Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:39:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What is war gaming about?  (Read 10713 times)

Offline Adlib

• Student
What is war gaming about?
« on: June 19, 2018, 12:17:54 PM »
What is the attraction in war gaming?
I don't understand war gaming, or how it works, or the why of it.
Please enlighten my, because at the moment It all looks pretty dim.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
Re: What is war gaming about?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 12:26:29 PM »
Probably slightly more attractive than trolling I'd guess?
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Adlib

• Student
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 12:39:08 PM »
Probably slightly more attractive than trolling I'd guess?
I am sorry you think I may be trolling.
Just because I don't grasp the idea of war gaming, does not mean I am a troll.
Your answer has not helped me in any way.
Thanks for trying to enlighten me.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 12:48:56 PM »
To me it is usually a history project. Learning about a period. Then collecting and painting the figures as well as I can. Then hopefully some games that involve some thinking and a bit of chance.

Offline Adlib

• Student
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 01:23:32 PM »
...Then hopefully some games that involve some thinking and a bit of chance.
Thank you @swiftnick for your response.
Now, what games are you talking about? I know you are referring to war games, but exactly what war game? And how do you play war games?

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 01:30:47 PM »
What game? More a case of what rules? Some people might like a certain ruleset. Say Hail Caesar or Rapid Fire and then would research and build armies to suit the period of those rules. Ancients and World War 2 respectively. Other people may just be interested in a period in history or fantasy for that matter. So would look for a range of figures and rules that they like.

Offline Adlib

• Student
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 01:44:41 PM »
What game? More a case of what rules? Some people might like a certain ruleset. Say Hail Caesar or Rapid Fire and then would research and build armies to suit the period of those rules. Ancients and World War 2 respectively. Other people may just be interested in a period in history or fantasy for that matter. So would look for a range of figures and rules that they like.
Thank you for response.
Still a bit confused. At least I know that there is actually a game with rules. I will have to Internet research these two mentioned games.
Just a quick question. When you play these games, do you have to have an opponent, like in chess? If so, do you wait to see what your opponent's move is, and you respond to it. I suppose the rules will tell you how far one can respond at a time.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 01:49:36 PM »
Wargames are basically a simulation of armed conflict on a tabletop, using miniatures. these conflicts can be historical, fantasy or science fiction in nature.

Most games are played between two players, like a game of chess with loads more variables. But there are also solo games and games with more players on each side. And there are many, many rules sets out there, to cater to all the different types of games.

For most of the people on this forum, it's interest in a certain period of history and its conflicts that sparked their interest. And exposure to wargaming through either magazines, friends or family that game, or some other way, made them curious and start gaming themselves. These people enjoy the historal accuracy of their games.

Then there are those who really like the modeling aspect of the hobby, started painting miniatures and eventually were exposed to the games through that. Most of these gamers value their games, miniatures and terrain looking as good as possible.

A final way of getting involved is by being really into games in general. Often starting with board games and moving on to wargaming, these people are all about the rules and can sometimes be very competitive as a result. They like their games more in a tournament style.

And of course most people are a mix of the above, leaning more this way or that.

But let's reverse the question; if you do not know anything about wargaming, what triggered you to inquire about it?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:55:56 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 01:50:36 PM »
Most games involve two or more players but there are solo players.
Where do you live? Why don't you see if there is a gaming community in your area?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:13:08 PM by swiftnick »

Offline Adlib

• Student
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 02:03:17 PM »
... if you do not know anything about wargaming, what triggered you to inquire about it?
I was looking for a modelling forum. Recently started model making, and I really like making dioramas with figurines. Since I've been in the RAAF, I am not a fan about war as such, though I am interested in strategy and tactics.

Then I came across this forum, and discovered that it's all about war games, which I do not know anything about it. I was curious as to what attracts people to war. You see, what attracted me to the RAAF was not war, but a trade, service to the country (Australia), and self-discipline.

Offline Adlib

• Student
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 02:05:18 PM »
Most games involve two or more players but there are solo players.
Where do you live? Why don't you are if there is a gaming community in your area?
Thank you.
I live in Australia, NSW, near Byron Bay.
Will have a look on the net for local gaming community.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 02:17:14 PM »
You are interested in strategy and tactics. Also like model making so are almost there. The game itself is the hook that these are hung on.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:36:31 PM by swiftnick »

Offline Adlib

• Student
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 02:28:32 PM »
Thank you all for your responses and help. Have found a few pdf downloads with game rules. Will have a read of these tomorrow. It is late where I live, and time to go to sleep.

Good night to you all.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 02:49:34 PM »
Have a word with Nic at Eureka miniatures, I am sure he could put you in contact with local gamers.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 04:01:26 PM »
Wargames are basically a simulation of armed conflict on a tabletop, using miniatures. these conflicts can be historical, fantasy or science fiction in nature.

Most games are played between two players, like a game of chess with loads more variables. But there are also solo games and games with more players on each side. And there are many, many rules sets out there, to cater to all the different types of games.

For most of the people on this forum, it's interest in a certain period of history and its conflicts that sparked their interest. And exposure to wargaming through either magazines, friends or family that game, or some other way, made them curious and start gaming themselves. These people enjoy the historal accuracy of their games.

Then there are those who really like the modeling aspect of the hobby, started painting miniatures and eventually were exposed to the games through that. Most of these gamers value their games, miniatures and terrain looking as good as possible.

A final way of getting involved is by being really into games in general. Often starting with board games and moving on to wargaming, these people are all about the rules and can sometimes be very competitive as a result. They like their games more in a tournament style.

And of course most people are a mix of the above, leaning more this way or that.

But let's reverse the question; if you do not know anything about wargaming, what triggered you to inquire about it?

Very good answer to the inquiry Daeothar
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/