Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:40:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What is war gaming about?  (Read 10640 times)

Offline Vanth

• Librarian
    • Warcolours Miniature Painting Studio
Re: What is war gaming about?
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2018, 07:42:00 AM »
I would like to add my couple of cents, if I may. Wargaming is a complex hobby involving many different sides, like others have before me pointed out: modelling and collecting figures and terrain, studying and researching the history, the strategy and the tactics, having fun with buddies while collectively exercising our brains to best each other at the game.
To me there is still one more thing, which is the most important: creating stories. When I play, I see a story unfold before my eyes, whether the game is set in an historical or fantastic setting. This is why I mostly enjoy campaign games, where this story can grow and evolve through multiple engagements and become more akin to a saga or a full feature movie.
This is the part I find more enjoyable of the whole hobby and also the reason why I dislike tournaments and the "win at all costs" mentality that comes with them.
Vanth
"...there are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in thyne philosophy..:"

http://www.warcolours.net
https://www.facebook.com/warcolours
https://www.etsy.com/shop/WarcoloursMiniatures
https://www.instagram.com/warcoloursminiatures/

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2018, 09:09:50 AM »
I have to agree with Humakt,

From the off its passive aggression. Hollow justifications,every remake is a rework of the 'I only buy Playboy for the articles' Defence.With the inference of a moral high ground through service. Not single comment rings true.It shouts ulterior motivate.

I think the way you gentleman have been open and inclusive has reaffirmed my belief this is a forum for grown ups.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2018, 06:58:32 PM »
Well, I should point out that the OP has stopped commenting altogether and hasn't visited LAF since his last posts on June 19th/page 2. I rather think we're speaking to an empty hall.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2018, 09:25:13 PM »
Fram,

I'd already twigged  ;)

No my tuppence was an observation more on the response of members.As always its more interesting to read the musings of others.

I must admit I did chuckle at the notion of a pacifist strategy for a  game. I wonder what the stats would be ?(No winner only prizes for everyone at the end of the day?)I don't supposed you have as many dice to roll either. ::)

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2018, 11:50:20 PM »
Well funny. 😬

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2018, 05:26:50 AM »
Fram,

I'd already twigged  ;)

No my tuppence was an observation more on the response of members.As always its more interesting to read the musings of others.

I must admit I did chuckle at the notion of a pacifist strategy for a  game. I wonder what the stats would be ?(No winner only prizes for everyone at the end of the day?)I don't supposed you have as many dice to roll either. ::)

Wargaming sans war I can reasonably imagine, but no dice? That's crazy talk and fightin' words, man!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2018, 06:38:22 AM »
 :o

Christopher!

All this talk of violence  :'(

Can it be....that he was right.....and I,I was wrong.... :(

You are all 'WAR FAN BOYS !!!

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2018, 09:20:29 AM »
Could be research for a student wanting to do an essay on the subject or something.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2018, 05:51:19 PM »
Wargaming sans war I can reasonably imagine, but no dice? That's crazy talk and fightin' words, man!

Seriously though, given that the most common wargame bar none (Chess) has no dice, I think with enough cunning it is entirely possible...

As for the OP, I have no idea...

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2018, 08:54:32 PM »
There are a few games that use other methods for chance instead of dice (Tribal, Wings of War/Wings of Glory, etc), but then there's monsters in that group too - like Diplomacy, the game that everyone should play with friends and family at least once. With complete disregard for consequences.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline The Red Graf

• Scientist
  • Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2018, 09:22:38 PM »
I would point the original poster in this direction for some ideas on how he might advance his theories. It's a great story.

Saki, The Toys of Peace

http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/ToysPeac.shtml First two paragraphs below. Though alas, neither the ending nor the ending of the author are terribly encouraging. Saki (H.H. Munro), he was killed on the Western Front in November 1916.

"Harvey," said Eleanor Bope, handing her brother a cutting from a London morning paper of the 19th of March, "just read this about children's toys, please; it exactly carries out some of our ideas about influence and upbringing."

"In the view of the National Peace Council," ran the extract, "there are grave objections to presenting our boys with regiments of fighting men, batteries of guns, and squadrons of 'Dreadnoughts.' Boys, the Council admits, naturally love fighting and all the panoply of war . . . but that is no reason for encouraging, and perhaps giving permanent form to, their primitive instincts. At the Children's Welfare Exhibition, which opens at Olympia in three weeks' time, the Peace Council will make an alternative suggestion to parents in the shape of an exhibition of 'peace toys.' In front of a specially-painted representation of the Peace Palace at The Hague will be grouped, not miniature soldiers but miniature civilians, not guns but ploughs and the tools of industry . . . It is hoped that manufacturers may take a hint from the exhibit, which will bear fruit in the toy shops."
Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2018, 02:33:06 AM »
There are a few games that use other methods for chance instead of dice (Tribal, Wings of War/Wings of Glory, etc), but then there's monsters in that group too - like Diplomacy, the game that everyone should play with friends and family at least once. With complete disregard for consequences.

The other reason to play Diplomacy (apart from its being one of the most exciting boardgames ever, and a wonderful way to lose friends) is that it shows how an excellent wargames campaign can work without needing all the minutiae of bookkeeping and counting supplies of bullets and hard-tack.

I've used it as the basis for a five-player east European 17th century campaign, with great success (victory went half and half to the Turks and the Swedes; game called off out of compassion for the Cossacks and the Poles, who were clearly never going to get off the floor, and the Muscovites, who were on their knees with little prospect of promotion back to standing on their feet).
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2018, 01:51:22 PM »
The thing to realise about Diplomacy is that it's not a wargame. It's a negotiation game that happens to take place on a map of Europe with armies and fleets; you won't get far in the game if you don't understand that.
The other thing is that to do well you need to be trustworthy 90% of the time; it's the timing of the other 10% that is critical. You need to stab at just the right time, which is usually one move before your erstwhile ally was going to stab you.
Great game, and a great way of improving your persuasion and negotiating skills. The first time you get a solo win in Diplomacy you really feel you've achieved something!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2018, 02:27:20 PM »
The thing to realise about Diplomacy is that it's not a wargame. It's a negotiation game that happens to take place on a map of Europe with armies and fleets; you won't get far in the game if you don't understand that.
The other thing is that to do well you need to be trustworthy 90% of the time; it's the timing of the other 10% that is critical. You need to stab at just the right time, which is usually one move before your erstwhile ally was going to stab you.
Great game, and a great way of improving your persuasion and negotiating skills. The first time you get a solo win in Diplomacy you really feel you've achieved something!

Despite the lack of combat stages, Diplomacy is by far the most brutal game I have ever played. I plan my therapy sessions ahead of each game.

Online Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2018, 06:03:58 PM »
Never played Diplomacy but always wanted to. A friend who had played and said it was brilliant refused to play it with us 'incase it got out of hand'. That obviously made us want to play it even more. Another very tense and very stressful game is Twilight Struggle. Absolutely loved that.