Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:55:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686610
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 700
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What should be added to the Copplestone range?  (Read 24239 times)

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
What should be added to the Copplestone range?
« on: June 19, 2018, 02:24:05 PM »
I have been prospecting off piste lately to try to find suitable figures to cover gaps in the Copplestone Back of Beyond range, but haven't been entirely happy with the results.  I have seen (and from time to time bought) some nice figures, but nothing matches a Copplestone like another Copplestone, and many of the available options (nice though they are) just aren't right (e.g. Brigade Austrians as PoWs fighting for the Reds, and Empress Afghans to double as Basmachis).

I do not know what Mr Copplestone is up to at the moment, and as a creative type, he might well be focusing on something else and seeing BoB as a done deal.  However, I have made contact with North Star (who produce the range, and own this site!) to ask if Mark could be encouraged to extend the range a bit, possibly as one of North Star's Nickstarters. 

I have no idea if this has been tried before without success, or if Mark would be interested.  However, I thought it was worth asking North Star. 

So, what would BoB players like to see added to the range in an ideal world?   On another thread, Von Stroheim has suggested mounted White officers, and I agree.  I would also like White flag bearers (five Flag Dude standards bought before I noticed there is no one to carry them!),  Basmachis and some Indian cavalry.

What do others want?

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Re: What should be added to the Copplestone range?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 02:53:34 PM »
Would love a command group of some sort for the tibetans, as well as some artillery... and ideally a pack of foot musketeers in different poses!
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 03:01:51 PM »
I've passed your message onto Mr Copplestone. Let's see what he says.

It won't be the next stuff he does, he's planning that to be more Darkest Africa

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 03:15:11 PM »
Thanks Nick, that is a start.  More Darkest Africa would be good too!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 04:16:02 PM »
I like the idea of Indian cavalry.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline ecwcaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 06:24:56 PM »
Mounted British Officers
More British Officers and NCOs on Foot
More Chinese Officers on foot and mounted
Turkish Assault Troops plus officers and NCOs

And... sorely missing for everyone's 25/28mm ranges, no matter who they are...

Gurkha Officers and NCOs (not British) in the wide hat *
Gurkha Lewis Guns *
Gurkha HMGs *
And maybe another pack of Gurkhas in different poses *

* Note that the one thing that I do not like about Copplestone Gurkhas, is their size. They really are too BIG. If they were done as true 25mm, that would work in very nicely to their actual size compared to other figures in his range. "And I'm unanimous in that!"

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 06:55:25 PM »
White Russians
NCOs/Banners
Lewis gunners / LMGs
Royal family/retainers

Czech Legion
Officers
NCOs/banners
Lewis gunners/LMGs
Maxim gun+ crew

Turks
Mounted Officers
Cavalry
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 07:17:19 PM »
* Note that the one thing that I do not like about Copplestone Gurkhas, is their size. They really are too BIG. If they were done as true 25mm, that would work in very nicely to their actual size compared to other figures in his range. "And I'm unanimous in that!"

I met a group of Gurkhas  soldiers once , they were running as a team in the London Marathon. I have to say that they were about the same size as everyone else. I remember quite distinctly because I had expected them to be short. Maybe they had just sent their tallest  lol

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 07:37:34 PM »
I would like to see the RCW ranges extended to cover WW1. It is mostly about there but Russian mortars, gun limbers and chaps in helmets would good.

Also a range of opposing Austro-Hungarians would be great. Scarab do a nice later war range with them all in helmets but for a lot of the war they were in caps. Considering how much Austro-Hungary took part in the war only Brigade games do a decent range although they do a field gun but no crew for it. I realise this is a big ask. I am just another wargamer with my pet projects. I wonder about the commercial viability of adding to these ranges. Out of interest, how many figures do you need to sell before you have recovered your production costs?

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 11:04:14 PM »
I know Copplestone typically only does single piece castings but what about a generic line with options for heads?

Online Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 06:13:51 AM »
Given his’output’ you’re as likely to see any of this as you are to win the Lottery. Still, no harm in hoping I suppose.
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Stu

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 07:44:34 AM »
Turkish Cavalry gets my vote.

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 08:21:12 AM »
I am just another wargamer with my pet projects. I wonder about the commercial viability of adding to these ranges. Out of interest, how many figures do you need to sell before you have recovered your production costs?

We all are, but I posted this on the Back of Beyond board where we all share the same interest (although admittedly scale preferences differ).  As for the economics, I have no idea, but I did suggest a Nickstarter approach (and I have never done that before), which would presumably cover design costs.  I think we can leave that side of things to North Star, assuming Mr Copplestone is up for it.

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 08:22:09 AM »
Given his’output’ you’re as likely to see any of this as you are to win the Lottery. Still, no harm in hoping I suppose.

Oh ye of little faith!  And you have to be in it to win it  :D

Online Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 09:25:00 AM »
Oh ye of little faith!  And you have to be in it to win it  :D
Nothing to do with faith, merely a factually based observation.