Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:55:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What should be added to the Copplestone range?  (Read 24223 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: What should be added to the Copplestone range?
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2018, 07:21:53 AM »
Mark got this period going by his original brilliance and energy.  He could reinvigorate it single handedly by doing the same now....off to spin the prayer wheel even faster....

Seriously. Almost no one would be gaming BoB if it weren't for Mark Copplestone.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2018, 08:51:46 AM »
Quote from: Ignatieff on July 07, 2018, 07:24:36 AM

Mark got this period going by his original brilliance and energy.  He could reinvigorate it single handedly by doing the same now....off to spin the prayer wheel even faster....

Seriously. Almost no one would be gaming BoB if it weren't for Mark Copplestone

Amen to that.  I am a relatively new convert to the period, having taken the plunge only in 2016. However, I remember my interest first being piqued by photos of the figures in the wargames mags when the range first came out.  Two thoughts then:  1) those figures are astonishingly good, and 2) I really must do this one day.

Back in the day most of my gaming was in 15mm or 20mm, and I didn't move up to 28mm until TFL's Dux Britanniarum was released.  Age of Arthur was another of those "I will get around to it one day" periods for me, and having dipped my toe in the 28mm water, it was only a matter of time before I gave in on Back of Beyond.  The chance came when I did a mega trade with my chum Silver Whistle, who offered to paint some figures for me as part payment on the swap.  Now Pat is a dab hand with a brush as anyone familiar with his blog will know, and the opportunity to have him paint some (not enough Pa, not enough!) of Mr Copplestone's excellent sculpts was the tipping point. 

Since then, I have continued to add to the collection, which now includes Reds, Whites, Chinese (warlord and bandits), Mongols and British.  If I stopped to tot up just the bare metal cost to date, I would probably pass out, but I still want more!  So come on Mark and Nick, your public needs you to add to the range!

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2018, 11:03:12 AM »
I've passed your message onto Mr Copplestone. Let's see what he says.

It won't be the next stuff he does, he's planning that to be more Darkest Africa

And a crimson planet? What of that? PABD!!!!

Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2018, 04:03:36 AM »
Would love a command group of some sort for the tibetans, as well as some artillery... and ideally a pack of foot musketeers in different poses!

Hear! Hear! Regular Tibetan artillery as supplied by the British could include these, IIRC, crewed by figures wearing something like British (Indian?) tropical uniform with sun helmets:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BL_10-pounder_mountain_gun

A pack of fighting Tibetan monks on foot would be nice, too, as might some armoured Tibetan cavalry.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2018, 07:45:58 AM »
Bolsheviks in greatcoats and budenokas would be an obvious addition. In reality it would just involve head swaps to existing figures but it would mean parts of the range would have their usefulness extended up to 1941. Given there are no decently sculpted Winter War Soviets out there in 28mm, it would doubtless be a good seller.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2018, 03:49:40 PM »
Perhaps some of the Freikorps and their allies who faced off against the Bolsheviks in 1919 - 1920 ?  Tsuba's are really only applicable to the fighting inside Germany itself in 1919 - 1919, and most WW 1 figures are too heavily equipped.  Could just be some of the personalities and more Freikorps specific units (like Baltic Landwehr cavalry).

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2018, 08:17:15 PM »
Perhaps some of the Freikorps and their allies who faced off against the Bolsheviks in 1919 - 1920 ?  Tsuba's are really only applicable to the fighting inside Germany itself in 1919 - 1919, and most WW 1 figures are too heavily equipped.  Could just be some of the personalities and more Freikorps specific units (like Baltic Landwehr cavalry).

Oooh, so more figures like the existing German Mercenaries pack? That would be would be keen!

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2018, 05:26:27 PM »
"Oooh, so more figures like the existing German Mercenaries pack? That would be would be keen!"

Exactly !  That four figure pack was just enough to whet the appetite !
Some examples of what could be done.  Below from the Osprey Freikorps book, figure on the left is a cavalryman of the Baltic Landwehr.

https://alchetron.com/cdn/baltische-landeswehr-ac954d0a-3cb9-4513-9e0b-96d650e1dab-resize-750.jpeg

German soldiers (Baltic Sea Division ?) in Helsinki during the Finnish Civil War (supporting the Whites against the Reds)

https://media.iwm.org.uk/ciim5/328/611/large_000000.jpg   (That's Marshal Mannerheim, in the white hat,  in this picture)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Bf-KOrXECT4/Uw7O41xEVMI/AAAAAAAAES4/EjQAK8XcDEI/s1600/German+soldiers+Helsinski'.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dap_cLzXcAAfqa4.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/Baltic_Sea_Division_in_Helsinki_1918.jpg

https://sananvapauteen.fi//drupal/sites/default/files/inline-images/inline_Helsingin_valtaus_12.4.1918_saksalaisia_sotilaita_taistelun_jalkeen_Helsingin_kaupunginmuseo_0.jpg

https://78.media.tumblr.com/3c65c84563e526bfa404be936a13488f/tumblr_p7dskxQdjI1w5arg8o1_500.jpg

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2018, 03:13:24 PM »
Hi Guys
Had a chat with Mr Copplestone and we're not going to like the news.

He just can't face artistically going back to Back of Beyond.

Firstly, he doesn't feel he makes figures in the same style anymore, due to age/ eyesight/ optimisers etc. He's going through the issues now making the new Darkest Africa figures.

Secondly, in his words: When I first started making the BoB range there was hardly any information available and I felt a bit like a research pioneer and I filled in gaps with guesswork.  Now on the other hand there are so  many books and expert websites that I'm now very aware of all the mistakes in accuracy and if I were to revisit it I know I'd really want to remake the whole thing.

Offline AzSteven

• Scientist
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2018, 06:22:12 PM »
As disappointing as that is, I totally understand it.  I have a bunch of Pulp Miniatures US Marines that I painted like 10 years ago, and since then I have gotten several new packs, but every time I start thinking about basing and painting them I pause because I realize my style is now different enough that I would need to repaint all of them to get them to look consistent.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2018, 07:36:33 PM »
Hi Guys
Had a chat with Mr Copplestone and we're not going to like the news.

He just can't face artistically going back to Back of Beyond.

Firstly, he doesn't feel he makes figures in the same style anymore, due to age/ eyesight/ optimisers etc. He's going through the issues now making the new Darkest Africa figures.

Secondly, in his words: When I first started making the BoB range there was hardly any information available and I felt a bit like a research pioneer and I filled in gaps with guesswork.  Now on the other hand there are so  many books and expert websites that I'm now very aware of all the mistakes in accuracy and if I were to revisit it I know I'd really want to remake the whole thing.

Understandable. Any thoughts on peripherally-related subjects like more Pulp adventurers or other 20s-30's figures?

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2018, 10:06:01 PM »
That's a bummer.  I LOVE that BoB series.

I like Darkest Africa, too, but perhaps a Darkest Amazon would be interesting to Mark.

This could also include the (horrible) slave periods, natives fighting slavers, explorers, slavers, etc.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2018, 01:48:10 AM »
By the by Nick, was there any rumbling about Mark is interested in doing after he's done the current round of puttering around in Africa?

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2018, 08:25:28 AM »
Disappointing news indeed! My apologies to all for starting this thread and getting hopes up.  It seems the naysayers were right  :'(

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2018, 08:58:56 AM »
Disappointing but we understand his choices and we must thank him for this wonderful range.

Disappointing news indeed! My apologies to all for starting this thread and getting hopes up.  It seems the naysayers were right  :'(

Don't apologize, it's a very interesting and useful thread, it shows a wide interest for more BoB figures, and if other companies and sculptors decide to make some there are lots of ideas for them here – of course they would need to be compatible (in size, weapons...) with the Copplestone range.

BTW Bob Murch of Pulp Figures is resculpting some of his Chinese and sailors (which are very well compatible with Copplestone's) perhaps he could be persuaded to do some more after he finishes his new and excellent Mexican range.  ::)