Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:46:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Advice needed on static grass  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
Advice needed on static grass
« on: June 19, 2018, 04:39:18 PM »
As a complete beginner in using static grass I'd be very grateful for any advice folks can give on this subject. The range of information on t'internet is vast but it's difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff.

So, I'm particularly keen to hear about low-cost applicators, suppliers of the grass itself and the length I should use when basing 28mm figs.

I hope to use the grass mostly on single figure bases but also on small dioramas.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Advice needed on static grass
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 10:54:10 AM »
Well, even though you can use all kinds of static applicators, both homemade and commercially made, I've found that for small surfaces, such as bases or small dioramas, those are not really necessary or even practical!

I've personally never used one; whenever I use static grass on bases (and I use it very frequently), I add a drop of (PVA) glue on the base, in the shape and size I want the grass clump to be, pick up a large clump of the grass of choice between thumb and indexfinger (at least 4x the size of the intended clump), and press it down on the glue.

I then tap/knock off the excess grass, and gently(!) blow over the glued down grass. The resulting vacuum over the grass will pull the individual blades up and make them stand up. And this simple process creates really nice and realistic clumps of grass.

Even if I want a base or field to be fully covered in grass, I use this method, because grass, anywhere but lawns, football fields and putting greens, exists of many, many clumps, and doing it like this will break the monotony and will yield more realistic results.

As for what type of grass I use; I tend to mix my own blends, as using just one type will result in too monotone a colour. I usually mix light brown/yellow with green (lighter for spring, darker or yellowish for summer and faded green for autumn) together, often as many as 3 or 4 different brands/types. It's also important to note that I also tend to use varying lengths in a mix, to once again prevent a too uniform look.

As for length; I usually mix about 2/3 of 2mm or 3mm grass and 1/3 4mm or 5mm tall grass.

I hope that helps... :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 05:47:44 PM »
Many thanks, that is really helpful!

Much obliged!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 06:52:35 PM »
I do have my own static grass applicator thingy and it is lots of fun. This is the one I've got -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WWS-Pro-Grass-Micro-Static-Flock-Applicator/172047960042?epid=1289021552&hash=item280edb87ea:g:eJEAAOSweXhXmNL~

It does help the grass to stand up and clump nicely and form realistic-shaped tufts of grass and I like to play with it to make my own patches of moss.

But in truth, it was a gift and I wouldn't spend that much myself just for personal use. Honestly I reckon that just buying tufts and/or using ordinary static grass applied onto little blobs of woodglue/strong PVA (as opposed to covering the base with it) is probably just as good and a lot easier. You'd have to spend a lot on tufts to catch up with the initial cost of this particular applicator.

As to length of grass, I like to use 1mm as moss, but that's really tiny. 2mm moss tufts are more usual for a fuzzy finish, with 4mm being standard grass length and 6mm being long sprouts of grass. Anything longer than that and you're getting into marsh grass/wheat/elephant grass territory.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 07:05:08 PM »
or you could build your own...full tutorial here

http://shedwars.blogspot.com/2015/05/a-fly-swat-sieve-and-soldering-iron.html

for a few quid

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 11:19:52 PM »
As to length of grass, I like to use 1mm as moss, but that's really tiny. 2mm moss tufts are more usual for a fuzzy finish, with 4mm being standard grass length and 6mm being long sprouts of grass. Anything longer than that and you're getting into marsh grass/wheat/elephant grass territory.
[/quote]

Thanks, between the advice you and Daeothar have supplied that has really cleared up the question about the various lengths.

As for the applicator itself, nearly £50 is a bit too rich for my blood. I saw one on eBay for about £22 and was thinking of giving that a bash.

Thanks for the helpful advice!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 11:23:59 PM by Sardoo »

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 11:22:16 PM »
or you could build your own...full tutorial here

http://shedwars.blogspot.com/2015/05/a-fly-swat-sieve-and-soldering-iron.html

for a few quid

The tutorial is a piece of genius!

Cheers, that has given me a lot to think about.

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 11:28:03 PM by Sardoo »