Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2018, 10:10:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: [Portuguese in India] Goa 1510 WIP (Upd 5th August)  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • scatterbrained genius
Re: [Portuguese in India] Goa 1510 WIP
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 09:12:13 PM »
Very impressive.  :-*

Online DintheDin

• scatterbrained genius
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 09:28:22 PM »
It is coming out great! Congrats!
I'll mark this thread to follow your progress!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline joekano

• mad scientist
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 09:52:48 PM »
Very cool! Looking forward to seeing how this progresses
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 01:07:58 AM »
I am very excited to follow along with what you are building.
Excellent start, love the details.
Really look forward to seeing what comes next.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Byblos

• mad scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 07:02:42 PM »
Yes , but you know the Portuguese in the early days of their India settlement were in low numbers , so the Foundry & the Eureka will be sufficient  ;)

And it will cost me less money ! Even a so small amount of troops cost a lot  lol
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 07:04:19 PM by Byblos »

Offline Metternich

• mastermind
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 07:13:46 PM »
Just some options.  The Foundry Conquistadors are just fine.

Offline Byblos

• mad scientist
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 07:44:27 PM »
Indeed  :)

Offline Codsticker

• mastermind
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 03:22:25 AM »
A fantastic and unique project! The really interesting question is what will you be using for native troops? :)

Offline Byblos

• mad scientist
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 09:22:30 AM »
A fantastic and unique project! The really interesting question is what will you be using for native troops? :)

Hi !

Goa belongs originally to the Bahmani sultanate , it's a Muslim city (The original hindou city was destroyed) so the troops are mainly Muslim troops , with a lot of mercenary (Turks , Persians ...) that the Portuguses called "White Turks"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahmani_Sultanate

But i need troops differents from the usual "Muslim Conquest / Moors / Saracens" and it was difficult to find them !

After a lot of research , i found that my Gripping Beast Timurids (I owned and began to paint sopme of them before) are really intersting for that !

I found that the Black Tree Design saracens are more armored and more "eastern" than the other existing Saracen range so i bought some of them , even in their Fantasy Saracen range ( Some of their command make perfect Turco-mongols !)

I have 6 armored saracen bowmen from FireForge : they are perfect but seems to be a pain to built  :(

And for some native troops i will use Foundry hindus and maybe Old Glory Ancient Indians bowmen

Then the Bahmani Sultanate Army will be , as in history , a "melting pot" army , with some conversions to make artillery men too , a very intersting army to build and paint !

I will make a description of the project but the problem is my english language   :? (I'm not fluent enought) : i have to work on it !
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:30:19 AM by Byblos »

Offline Metternich

• mastermind
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2018, 02:49:54 PM »
Just a thought, but would some of the Baluchi from Wargames Foundry's Congo range work ?

https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/darkest-africa-balichis/products/da053-baluchi-swordsmen

Offline Byblos

• mad scientist
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 03:21:03 PM »
Hi !

I've bought some of these Baluchis , i will maybe use them as Nayars , a warriors cast of Malabar (South West coasts of India) !

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • scatterbrained genius
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2018, 04:11:32 PM »
If you have the chance check the frostgrave bodies of the cultists and heads from Gripping Beast arabs.
Might work for some more muslim troops.

Offline Codsticker

• mastermind
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2018, 04:16:29 AM »
Hi !

Goa belongs originally to the Bahmani sultanate , it's a Muslim city (The original hindou city was destroyed) so the troops are mainly Muslim troops , with a lot of mercenary (Turks , Persians ...) that the Portuguses called "White Turks"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahmani_Sultanate

But i need troops differents from the usual "Muslim Conquest / Moors / Saracens" and it was difficult to find them !

After a lot of research , i found that my Gripping Beast Timurids (I owned and began to paint sopme of them before) are really intersting for that !

I found that the Black Tree Design saracens are more armored and more "eastern" than the other existing Saracen range so i bought some of them , even in their Fantasy Saracen range ( Some of their command make perfect Turco-mongols !)

I have 6 armored saracen bowmen from FireForge : they are perfect but seems to be a pain to built  :(

And for some native troops i will use Foundry hindus and maybe Old Glory Ancient Indians bowmen

Then the Bahmani Sultanate Army will be , as in history , a "melting pot" army , with some conversions to make artillery men too , a very intersting army to build and paint !

I will make a description of the project but the problem is my english language   :? (I'm not fluent enought) : i have to work on it !
I wondered if you could make use of the GB Timurids. For a while I was buying up Indus miniatures as I wanted a late 16thC/early 17thC Mughal force and GB's Timurids were a little early- right in the zone for your project though. Some of the Indus minis, especially the Hindu militia and cavalry might be good for your native force: link.

Offline Byblos

• mad scientist
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2018, 09:25:04 AM »
Hi Cod !

For Muslim indians circa 1510 the GB Timurids are good , the Indus miniatures (very pretty minies) are too late i think !

But the Hindu militia bowmen could be very interesting , and maybe the elephants and moreover the crew !

I will consider buying some of these !

For the light hindu cavalry , i could buy some Foundry , and for civilians too ...