Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:41:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Portuguese in India] Goa 1510 WIP (Update August 2021)  (Read 25252 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: [Portuguese in India] Goa 1510 WIP
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 08:28:22 PM »
It is coming out great! Congrats!
I'll mark this thread to follow your progress!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Online joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 08:52:48 PM »
Very cool! Looking forward to seeing how this progresses
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 12:07:58 AM »
I am very excited to follow along with what you are building.
Excellent start, love the details.
Really look forward to seeing what comes next.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 06:02:42 PM »
Yes , but you know the Portuguese in the early days of their India settlement were in low numbers , so the Foundry & the Eureka will be sufficient  ;)

And it will cost me less money ! Even a so small amount of troops cost a lot  lol
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 06:04:19 PM by Byblos »

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 06:13:46 PM »
Just some options.  The Foundry Conquistadors are just fine.

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 06:44:27 PM »
Indeed  :)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 02:22:25 AM »
A fantastic and unique project! The really interesting question is what will you be using for native troops? :)

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 08:22:30 AM »
A fantastic and unique project! The really interesting question is what will you be using for native troops? :)

Hi !

Goa belongs originally to the Bahmani sultanate , it's a Muslim city (The original hindou city was destroyed) so the troops are mainly Muslim troops , with a lot of mercenary (Turks , Persians ...) that the Portuguses called "White Turks"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahmani_Sultanate

But i need troops differents from the usual "Muslim Conquest / Moors / Saracens" and it was difficult to find them !

After a lot of research , i found that my Gripping Beast Timurids (I owned and began to paint sopme of them before) are really intersting for that !

I found that the Black Tree Design saracens are more armored and more "eastern" than the other existing Saracen range so i bought some of them , even in their Fantasy Saracen range ( Some of their command make perfect Turco-mongols !)

I have 6 armored saracen bowmen from FireForge : they are perfect but seems to be a pain to built  :(

And for some native troops i will use Foundry hindus and maybe Old Glory Ancient Indians bowmen

Then the Bahmani Sultanate Army will be , as in history , a "melting pot" army , with some conversions to make artillery men too , a very intersting army to build and paint !

I will make a description of the project but the problem is my english language   :? (I'm not fluent enought) : i have to work on it !
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 08:30:19 AM by Byblos »

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 01:49:54 PM »
Just a thought, but would some of the Baluchi from Wargames Foundry's Congo range work ?

https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/darkest-africa-balichis/products/da053-baluchi-swordsmen

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2018, 02:21:03 PM »
Hi !

I've bought some of these Baluchis , i will maybe use them as Nayars , a warriors cast of Malabar (South West coasts of India) !

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 03:11:32 PM »
If you have the chance check the frostgrave bodies of the cultists and heads from Gripping Beast arabs.
Might work for some more muslim troops.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2018, 03:16:29 AM »
Hi !

Goa belongs originally to the Bahmani sultanate , it's a Muslim city (The original hindou city was destroyed) so the troops are mainly Muslim troops , with a lot of mercenary (Turks , Persians ...) that the Portuguses called "White Turks"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahmani_Sultanate

But i need troops differents from the usual "Muslim Conquest / Moors / Saracens" and it was difficult to find them !

After a lot of research , i found that my Gripping Beast Timurids (I owned and began to paint sopme of them before) are really intersting for that !

I found that the Black Tree Design saracens are more armored and more "eastern" than the other existing Saracen range so i bought some of them , even in their Fantasy Saracen range ( Some of their command make perfect Turco-mongols !)

I have 6 armored saracen bowmen from FireForge : they are perfect but seems to be a pain to built  :(

And for some native troops i will use Foundry hindus and maybe Old Glory Ancient Indians bowmen

Then the Bahmani Sultanate Army will be , as in history , a "melting pot" army , with some conversions to make artillery men too , a very intersting army to build and paint !

I will make a description of the project but the problem is my english language   :? (I'm not fluent enought) : i have to work on it !
I wondered if you could make use of the GB Timurids. For a while I was buying up Indus miniatures as I wanted a late 16thC/early 17thC Mughal force and GB's Timurids were a little early- right in the zone for your project though. Some of the Indus minis, especially the Hindu militia and cavalry might be good for your native force: link.

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2018, 08:25:04 AM »
Hi Cod !

For Muslim indians circa 1510 the GB Timurids are good , the Indus miniatures (very pretty minies) are too late i think !

But the Hindu militia bowmen could be very interesting , and maybe the elephants and moreover the crew !

I will consider buying some of these !

For the light hindu cavalry , i could buy some Foundry , and for civilians too ...

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2018, 03:31:01 PM »
Hi Cod !

For Muslim indians circa 1510 the GB Timurids are good , the Indus miniatures (very pretty minies) are too late i think !

But the Hindu militia bowmen could be very interesting , and maybe the elephants and moreover the crew !

I will consider buying some of these !

For the light hindu cavalry , i could buy some Foundry , and for civilians too ...
Yeah, most of their minis are about 200 years out of date for your project but the Pindari cavalry is generic enough that they might work as well.