Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:21:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Zvezda Sturmtiger  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
Zvezda Sturmtiger
« on: June 21, 2018, 09:13:11 AM »

This is another 1:100 scale Zvezda snap-together kit, the SturmMörser Tiger, or Sturmtiger.

In the photographs I looked at of the Sturmtiger, none of them appeared to have any unit markings or vehicle numbers, which made life a lot easier for me.

This is my first attempt at the 1944 "ambush pattern" camouflage scheme. I'm not entirely dissatisfied with the result, but I feel it could be better — I just can't quite put my finger on just what's wrong.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:54:04 PM by Fitz »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Zvezda Stürmtiger
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 09:14:27 AM »
Another nice paint job.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 11:20:04 AM »
Technically, it's fine and rather impressive in 15mm. I think that in the pictures, though, the dots come out a bit numerous and individually large, which may leave too light an impression. I never managed to produce a convincing Hinterhalt camo in any scale, mind.

Great painting overall, almost good enough to forgive the gratuitous Heavy Metal Umlauts.  ;)

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 01:15:46 PM »
Great painting overall, almost good enough to forgive the gratuitous Heavy Metal Umlauts.  ;)

Gratuitous certainly, but not plural. The two dots above the u constitute one Umlaut. I have no opinion on how many dots the camouflage pattern should include.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 02:00:37 PM »
Gratuitous certainly, but not plural. The two dots above the u constitute one Umlaut. I have no opinion on how many dots the camouflage pattern should include.

He's doing it thrice. But extra props for getting the ö right in Mörser;) lol

*/humourless German spelling pedant mode*

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
Re: Zvezda Sturmtiger
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 12:30:56 PM »
Nice work!

How do you dull down the colors? Dry brush at the end? Light airbrush? If so, what color?

I just painted a Hetzer like this and the colors are too bright.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 02:19:07 PM by Schogun »

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 12:56:54 PM »
Rule of thumb I always use, yer not painting, the lid on the Cysteine Chapel.
You've just been ordered to put paint spots all over three ginormous tanks before getting a flyer to the mess/boozer...
how would you have done the job in real life?

;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 12:58:47 PM by Harry Faversham »
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 01:33:32 AM »
How do you dull down the colors? Dry brush at the end? Light airbrush? If so, what color?
I just painted a Hetzer like this and the colors are too bright.

I dry-brush everything, usually with VMC Buff, to pick out the highlights, and then do an overall wash with Citadel Agrax Earthshade. Depending on how clean or grimy I want the finished result, I might dilute the Earthshade about 50/50; in this case it was undiluted. Then I go back over and pin-wash areas I want to accentuate the shadowing on.

Washing/filtering and airbrush dusting are both good for subduing the base colours, and adding a transparent colour over the top pulls the underlying colours together as well. I'd wash if wanted the colour scheme darker and dirtier, and dust if I wanted it lighter and dustier.