Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:06:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Strontium Dog from Warlord Games  (Read 18506 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Strontium Dog from Warlord Games
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2018, 07:11:07 PM »
I will buy those Styx bros just to use as strange Rogue Stars characters.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline bong-67

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2018, 03:14:15 PM »
Pre-orders now available on the Warlord site at:
https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/strontium-dog?utm_source=Warlord+Games+Newsletter&utm_campaign=5ecfb8daff-Warlord_Wednesday_News_%26_Hobby_27_June_2018&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b7e928b4ed-5ecfb8daff-132930805&mc_cid=5ecfb8daff&mc_eid=e90a8731a2

Some more figs I haven't seen yet.  I think a starter set is definitely worth a punt but it would still be nice to see if the Warlord figs are noticeably bigger than the Foundry ones but that won't happen until someone outside of Warlord gets their hands on the figs.  I have a feeling from what others have worked out on this thread and from a comment somewhere else on the web that the Warlord figs are 1:48 that they will be too big, maybe around 38mm.  The Foundry figs are big but not that size.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2018, 03:59:04 PM »
An interesting question is I noticed Warlord has dropped all the Judge Dredd stuff that was up there. Did they get rid of the range?
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2018, 04:14:14 PM »
An interesting question is I noticed Warlord has dropped all the Judge Dredd stuff that was up there. Did they get rid of the range?

They bought the license some time ago. So acquired the range from Mongoose.

They had a massive sale last year although were a bit cryptic in regards to their future plans for it. The suggestion was that some of it may live to see another day.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Mo!

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2018, 04:18:10 PM »
IMHO i think a francise as cool as this requires a better sculptor... the idea is spot on but the excecution leaves a bit to be desired...
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2018, 12:29:05 AM »
The Mongoose Judge Dredd stuff (which I backed on KickStarter and received as it was ready over the course of a number of years*)  is a bit like the Parson's egg - good in parts. The range 'obvious Judge Dredd' elements of the range was discontinued pretty quickly once Warlord acquired the 2000AD licence. More generic sci fi elements like the Citi-Def forces were sold, I think to Rebellion Miniatures.

Wouldn't be surprised if some of it came back at some stage but I'd not expect that for a while as I imagine Warlord wouldn't want to distract focus from Strontium Dog. Speaking of which, I think I'd apply the same eggy analogy to the SD stuff.

Interestingly, the dice and tokens are all '2000AD' branded which implies there may be other characters from the Galaxy's Greatest Comic incorporated into the one game system.

* No issues with that at all as the KS was to create the miniatures and not as a pre order. Good on Matthew Sprange of Mongoose to see through Kickstarter fulfilment even after Mongoose lost the licence. I understand he's done the same for Rogue Trooper.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2018, 01:57:43 AM »
Its the doctor who game all over, was looking forward to this but given the scale (they could have made it and DW, 28mm and done so cross-marketing with their other ranges)will give it a miss.

I like the mongoose stuff but at the end of the day the citadel line will always have a place in my heart.

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2018, 07:01:33 AM »
Its the doctor who game all over, was looking forward to this but given the scale (they could have made it and DW, 28mm and done so cross-marketing with their other ranges)will give it a miss.
Baffles me why they do this. The vast majority of potential buyers have (large) existing terrain and miniatures collections. Putting stuff out so out of kilter with existing ranges puts off potential buyers.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2018, 07:17:52 AM »
Baffles me why they do this. The vast majority of potential buyers have (large) existing terrain and miniatures collections. Putting stuff out so out of kilter with existing ranges puts off potential buyers.
The obvious reasom is that you have to buy their figures, you cannot use other manufacturers' ranges or re-use your existimg stuff.

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2018, 07:56:35 AM »
The obvious reasom is that you have to buy their figures, you cannot use other manufacturers' ranges or re-use your existimg stuff.
I get that but it just means I don't buy into the range at all. GW Inquisitor, Lord of the Rings, Warlord Dr Who, all no-go for me because of the different scales. Rather than selling me a few boxes of Dr Whos or Daleks to use with my existing minis they get nothing.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2018, 08:03:48 AM »
I get that but it just means I don't buy into the range at all. GW Inquisitor, Lord of the Rings, Warlord Dr Who, all no-go for me because of the different scales. Rather than selling me a few boxes of Dr Whos or Daleks to use with my existing minis they get nothing.

It's probably just a business move, weighing off potential sales of a delineated product vs. goodwill of existing potential buyers.

That said, I still hope that the figures will be roughly all right. I'm a bit worried about that "Laser-Cut MDF bases" line - if those are 30mm bases, the figures will be huge, but if they are 25mm, they might just work out. Having now seen the initial release, I must say that I quite like all the figures except for Johnny and Wulf - a shame, obviously, for messing up the two main heroes that ignominiously, but all the others look decent enough with good likenesses, and those skimmers are great in my book.

I'll probably get that release bundle and hope for the best. Really hoping for Mutant Guerillas, Kreelers and a Tanketto, still.

One more thing, though - I wonder how many people actually got into the Foundry range at all? I've got almost all the figures, but I am nuts anyway and was always under the impression that it was more than niche, at least partly due to the fact that the figures were rather on the tall side and the whole thing more of a collector's venture rather than a proper gaming range regarding the choice of subjects.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 08:06:52 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline bong-67

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2018, 09:02:48 AM »
I measured my Foundry Johnny Alpha last night and he's quite tall, much taller than I realised, at about 35mm.  So he might just be compatible with the Warlord sculpts, it will depend on how big they actually are.  I'm not sold on the Warlord Johnny and Wulf so the only Foundry figures I'd need to match would be those.
Another issue is how big the Warlord figures will be compared to terrain.  I've got a set of the excellent Battle Systems Galactic terrain and I'm thinking of buying an Outlands set as it'd be ideal for Strontium Dog (see http://shop.battlesystems.co.uk/outlands-set-84-p.asp).
If the Warlord figures are very big then I'd agree with some of the other posters that it is a negative move as it prevents gamers using figures and terrain from their existing collections.  I also don't like the way the figures are marketed.  So far you can only get Johhny, Wulf and the Max Bubba gang as part of the starter set and Johnny with electronux only with the rulebook.  It would be nice if all of the figure sets were available separately but at a higher price.  The cost of the figures is also quite high but at least you don't have to buy too many of them.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2018, 03:22:53 PM »
I managed to get hold of the old Heroclix Johnny and Wulf. So I might try the ruleset with those figures.

Offline bong-67

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2018, 02:40:32 PM »
There's still no clear indication of the size of the new Strontium Dog figures so I tried doing a crude photo comparison;  The image I made below isn't perfect but I think it shows that the Strontium Dog humans could be similar in size to the Gates of Antares figures.  This coupled by a quote from Paul Sawyer on the Warlord forum where he describes the Strontium Dog figs as heroic 28mm (https://www.warlordgames.com/community/topic/the-doghouse-is-opening-for-business/)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2018, 04:06:47 PM »
The old Citadel versions are miles better.

Damn right! Sadly I missed the Foundry sellout, because these don't push my buttons.