Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:28:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Strontium Dog from Warlord Games  (Read 18628 times)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Strontium Dog from Warlord Games
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 09:07:32 PM »
I was looking again at the pictures. What is going on on these sculpts?.....

....I’ve marked areas in red that look weird to me! Wulf looks disjointed from the waist up and his right arm comes from his chest not shoulder, and Johnny’s arms don’t sit right! He’s missing lats from his shoulder to his arm on his left side and his right arm looks dislocated! :o 

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 09:33:32 PM »
Yeah, very glad I bought the Foundry ones. It's a shame, I was looking forward to these.

Offline Fates Fickle Finger

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 10:49:24 PM »
I was really excited by this as a huge long time fan, but the miniatures look bloody awful! What a crying shame, I take it the foundry ones are long gone?

FFF

Offline bong-67

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 11:34:49 PM »
I have to agree that the initial figures look a  bit off and a bit naff, apart from the Gronk and Wulf on a skimmer.  I'd like to see what they look like in reality though.  Hopefully some of the other figures will be OK and will be compatible with the Foundry figs.  I have the Foundry versions of Johnny, Wulf, Middenface etc but I could do with more bad guys.  I could use any old SF figs I suppose but I'd rather have ones with that very distinctive Esquerra look.
I'm also hoping the rules will be good.  From the preview pics they cover the very distinctive SD weaponry like time bombs.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2018, 09:17:21 AM »
Whilst the miniatures don't look too terrible (mediocre at worst) they dont look amazing either which is a shame.

I still don't get the focus on Strontium Dog though. 2000 AD isnt crazy huge (its biggest export is Judge Dredd) so focusing on one of the lesser known series is odd.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2018, 11:35:02 AM »
Whilst the miniatures don't look too terrible (mediocre at worst) they dont look amazing either which is a shame.

I still don't get the focus on Strontium Dog though. 2000 AD isnt crazy huge (its biggest export is Judge Dredd) so focusing on one of the lesser known series is odd.

I think it is an issue of playability, and maybe novelty. Judge Dredd has already been done (and not too badly, from a rules-based POV) by Mongoose, and that is probably still a bit of a saturated market.

The other "gaming-affine" series, such as the ABC Warriors, Nemesis the Warlock and Rogue Trooper, are all characterised by a strong disparity of power between the protagonists and antagonists, in a "Magnificent Seven" way - usually small, high-power groups vs. large numbers of mooks, which rarely translates into a fun and balanced game (in the way that the game is exciting, even if the outcome is expectable).

It's an issue which I've been struggling with ever since I started my 2000AD collection - Strontium Dog is IMHO the best-suited continuity for a game, mechanics-wise. You have more or less evenly-matched sides, or with not-too-pronounced disparities. It's essentially a Wild West shootout thing in space, and those were, AFAIK, rather popular in the recent past.

Furthermore, you have a more or less manageable scope - you'd be looking at roughly a dozen named protagonists, and twice or thrice that in opponents; skirmish game numbers, easily broken down into mould-making sets, and no huge and varied range of armies to be done.

It's obviously a personal perspective, but it's the reason I focused on SD exclusively over the last few years, in the hope that I would actually be able to get a game out of it. That, and you have much more leeway in press-ganging other manufacturers' minis.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 11:39:59 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2018, 11:51:50 AM »
I think it is an issue of playability, and maybe novelty.

Yup, you've got any number of gaming scenarios based around the whole bounty hunter theme, with ambushes, terrified villagers, treasures, escapes, hostage rescue, huge gangs or small numbers of elite bad guys - whatever you want and however you want to play it.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2018, 04:57:03 PM »

I had heard that this was just the start and that Warlord were waiting for the Megacity One/Dredd TV show.

I think they are hoping of big things from the TV show!

I take it people have seen this....

....I see the proportions are getting better! ;) Again, not a big SD fan, but apparently the guy on the left is one of the characters from th strip and he’s supposed to look like that!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2018, 05:45:14 PM »
I think they are hoping of big things from the TV show!

I take it people have seen this....

....I see the proportions are getting better! ;) Again, not a big SD fan, but apparently the guy on the left is one of the characters from th strip and he’s supposed to look like that!

That's interesting! Max Bubba's gang from "The Ragnarok Job". I guess the odd proportions won't hurt that much with some of the more wacky mutants, and I'll say this is what I was hoping for - the Foundry characters are pretty much spot-on, if a bit sedately-posed, but apart from Max Bubba and the Stix, there wasn't much of opposition in the range.

Also, that size looks promising - if that is a 25mm round base, the figures could match the rather tall Foundry figures in height.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:48:17 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2018, 07:35:26 PM »
Yeah the mongoose stuff had weird long legged mutants. Just a 2000AD thing.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2018, 04:43:59 AM »
Looks interesting. Can't see myself 'investing' in this but fortunately I know a chap who will...

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 12:07:39 PM »
That would be me? ;D

I imagine I will buy one of everything, just hope that thecrules stack up...

Offline bong-67

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 01:29:40 PM »

Latest figs, the Styx brothers.  I think these look OK, maybe the best of the Warlord stuff so far.

I think the range has promise but I'd really like to know how the Warlord figs size compared to the old Foundry ones.  I'd also like a look at the Johnny and Wulf figs.  I'm convinced they will look better in the flesh than they do in Warlord's pics.  It just wouldn't make sense to have poor sculpts of the lead characters.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 02:08:46 PM »
Yup, those sure are the Styx brothers, to a tee.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2018, 07:42:32 PM »
Latest figs, the Styx brothers.  I think these look OK, maybe the best of the Warlord stuff so far.

I think the range has promise but I'd really like to know how the Warlord figs size compared to the old Foundry ones.  I'd also like a look at the Johnny and Wulf figs.  I'm convinced they will look better in the flesh than they do in Warlord's pics.  It just wouldn't make sense to have poor sculpts of the lead characters.
They look like hey are going to be in the 40mm scale range (based n the bases).