Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:58:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686465
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

?

Dr Mathias - Bring 'em back alive
136 (63.6%)
Lt Hazel - Gott mit uns
78 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 214

Voting closed: June 30, 2018, 12:59:31 AM

Author Topic: Final - Bring 'em back alive! vs. Gott mit uns  (Read 7875 times)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Final - Bring 'em back alive! vs. Gott mit uns
« on: June 24, 2018, 12:59:31 AM »

2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
Re: Final - Bring 'em back alive! vs. Gott mit uns
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 10:40:22 AM »
Fantastic final scenes, chaps, and two different approaches: a nearly cinematic out-take by Dr Mathias, reminds me very much of Rodney Matthews strange worlds, and nearly a classic painting by one of the old flemish masters with very realistic and ambient background, just lacking a tiny amount of sharpness if I may say so, Jan ...  :-*

Just beautiful eyecandy!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 01:01:04 PM »
A great final.

Shame it has to end.

Congratz to you both.

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 01:38:07 PM »
Is that a Totoro shirt?  :-* that is officially my favourite thing from this years LPL  :D
Great mini wearing it too, where is that from?

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 04:19:16 PM »
I generally decide in an instant to whom I will vote but I had trouble here.

Ambul scene is my first pick as its great scene and very strange collection of miniatures that works perfectly (being perfectly painted is a condition sine que non being in this round really)
But the regiment is jus soo nicely it was really painful decision.

Gartulation to both of you sirs.  :o

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 06:10:03 PM »
Wow! Two beautiful entries! I love the Webgun of the guy front and left, Dr. Mathias! What a lovely collection of sci-fi miniatures - could you identify their origins? There are at least three of them that I'd love to track down, if they are still commercially available! Actually, four of them.... Actually, all of them!
As for the pikemen - I love the feel that the vignette has of a landscape painting, with its beautifully composed foreground, middle ground, and background. Painting's beautiful too, of course!
Things of beauty, both of these!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 08:28:11 PM »
A couple of stunning scenes, well done both :-*
Matt - so much going on. More wonderful storytelling :o
Jan - the background alone is worth the price of entry. A truly evocative scene 8)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 02:45:15 AM »
That's an impressive display of pikes, looks like many of the awesome group militia portraits I talk about in art history :)

Regarding my entry, thanks all- it was tough to pull this one together in time.

Is that a Totoro shirt?  :-* that is officially my favourite thing from this years LPL  :D
Great mini wearing it too, where is that from?

Hehehe, yeah that's Totoro. I hoped it was recognizable :) The mini sort of looked like a hardcore anime fan I know. The miniature is from Blind Beggar, I picked her up in a Kickstarter. This group is meant to be a ragtag group of alien creature hunters and I wanted several to have missing limbs, and she has two of them :)

http://blindbeggarminiatures.co.uk/shop/products/117f3aae-bd61-4b62-9081-3d60474b3819

I love the Webgun of the guy front and left, Dr. Mathias! What a lovely collection of sci-fi miniatures - could you identify their origins? There are at least three of them that I'd love to track down, if they are still commercially available! Actually, four of them.... Actually, all of them!

Thanks :) The guy with the heavy webber is a conversion, based on a figure from the old Alpha Forge 'Star Moguls' range. I'm not sure who owns the line now. The heavy webber is my own sculpt- I cast a few in resin. I planned to make all the Rogue Trader weapons that were never released as separates (so far I have a webber, heavy webber, and grenade launcher). The head is resin, from Mad Robot. They make a pack of heads that look like the old Van Saar.
https://madrobotminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_10&products_id=186

The woman with the autocannon (looks like a flamethrower to me) is an old GW 40K Rogue Trader era figure- she's stock.
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/File:IG_Autocannon.jpg

The man with the warpaint and pistol is from the 'Cobalt-1' line- he's stock as well. The corpulent man with the oddball gun is also from Cobalt, I think they might have been from the same pack, some sort of mercenaries or bounty hunters. He has a new bionic leg (resin, from MaxMini) and new hand (also MaxMini). The figure is cast missing a foot and a hand for some odd reason. The problem with Cobalt is that so many things are weird looking, rounded off, and straight up strange that the missing stuff appears to be on purpose, based off of pictures of the greens. I'm not sure who sells Cobalt now? It's a peculiar but very cool range, some real gems in it.
https://maxmini.eu/bionic-bits

The eldar hunter is probably going to be really hard to track down. He is a fan sculpt from the 'Collecting Citadel Miniatures' Yahoo group and was cast in limited numbers several years ago, if I'm remembering correctly. I got lucky and had been frequenting the group at that time. I think they made three eldar civilians and I only nabbed two :(

The ambull is from Knightmare Miniatures. I had another (the old one from GW) primed but I didn't get it done in time. I picked it up in a Kickstarter.
http://knightmareminiatures.com/product/crawling-insectoid

The large creature container is made from Mantic's plastic Deadzone terrain, I added some bars and made a new door to fit. The smaller cages are made from pieces from a terrain Kickstarter ran by Maki Games a few years ago. The tops of the cages are also from Mantic Deadzone, magnetized to be removable so I can put critters inside. I've been wanting to make the cages for quite a long time and wasn't quite sure how to do it until this entry forced me to think about an Ambull cage and I had all the components laid out.

I had to hide the slotta bases from Plynykes so I included a few little rolled up tarps and bedrolls, those are from a Tamiya jerrycan set ;)

Thanks for the interest, I have about ten more figures for this gang. The plan was to use them for Rogue Stars (and maybe 40K), and like usual, I'm getting them done about a year after a game comes out. Thank goodness for the LPL or they would still be in planning stages.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 02:57:18 AM by Dr Mathias »
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 08:56:16 AM »
Superb entries again gents - a statement that hardly does them justice!
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 09:08:12 AM »
Another one of those where I just don't know which way to go. I still haven't voted yet. Dr. Matt's painting is so crisp and clean and just, well, fantastic. So many little details there. Jan's has a delightful sort of gloomy, brooding atmosphere. There's something about it I just adore.

Well done, lads. You've done us proud once again.

I had to hide the slotta bases from Plynykes...

lol
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 12:34:44 PM »
The plan was to use them for Rogue Stars (and maybe 40K),

Have you seen Venator rules for New Necromunda ?
Its seams perfect fit.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 01:38:23 AM »
Have you seen Venator rules for New Necromunda ?
Its seams perfect fit.

No, are they pretty versatile in terms of equipment and setup? I'll have to check them out- they were in a White Dwarf, right? 

I have the box set but have made no movement on painting it, sadly. I started casting some tiles for a 3D Zone Mortalis a few months ago and then the LPL happened :)

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 07:40:38 PM »
Great art by you both.

By the way guys, I nearly missed voting on this because the sticky at top of page is not up to date -  states in red The Semi Finals. Or is it me and the current heat wave? 🤪

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 05:40:18 PM »
Thanks for the detailed info, Doc! I had noticed all the bionic/prosthetic limbs, and thought it was hilarious. Excellent subtext to the whole scene!

Alpha Forge! I knew I recognized the base figure for that guy! Lovely conversion. It's possible that I may even have him in the lead pile somewhere, as I've slowly been painting my Star Mogul minis over the last six months or so (which means that I've finished only four...), and I'm sure I saw him relatively recently.

As for the Cobalt minis - again, yes, now that it's pointed out, I recognize the source. I love the Cobalt minis, odd as they are, and was disappointed when they became unavailable yet again, as by that time I had only managed to get some of the armored mercs/space marine types, and still had a list of others that I wanted to get too. Hopefully they'll be picked up by another seller - prosthetic fingers crossed on that one!

Thanks once again for all the details on them!

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 08:42:01 PM »
Thanks for the detailed info, Doc! I had noticed all the bionic/prosthetic limbs, and thought it was hilarious. Excellent subtext to the whole scene!

Alpha Forge! I knew I recognized the base figure for that guy! Lovely conversion. It's possible that I may even have him in the lead pile somewhere, as I've slowly been painting my Star Mogul minis over the last six months or so (which means that I've finished only four...), and I'm sure I saw him relatively recently.

As for the Cobalt minis - again, yes, now that it's pointed out, I recognize the source. I love the Cobalt minis, odd as they are, and was disappointed when they became unavailable yet again, as by that time I had only managed to get some of the armored mercs/space marine types, and still had a list of others that I wanted to get too. Hopefully they'll be picked up by another seller - prosthetic fingers crossed on that one!

Thanks once again for all the details on them!

Cobalt were sold to bridge miniatures - Kev has had some family health problems which have slowed down his launching bridge miniatures but they will be back soon.

Mike
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk