Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:22:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690472
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Businesses should improve their comms with customers!  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Businesses should improve their comms with customers!
« on: June 25, 2018, 02:56:21 PM »
Recently, I opened my first ever Paypal dispute with a company -I won't mention names-. I put an order in May 26th and by June 16th haven't received anything yet. So I tried to contact the company. Three emails later, with no answer, finally I opened a Paypal dispute. I hate when customers do that to me without trying to communicate with me first, but in this case I did try and was ignored. Today, I received my goods so I closed the dispute.

I realized that the delay had been caused because some of the items ordered were temporarily out of stock. If I would have been made aware of that fact, I wouldn't had bothered the company with my emails and would have waited patiently until they had arrived.

Communicate with your customers, gents! You might know what is going on, but we don't. We are not sure if our order has been received, or if there have been a problem with the payment, or if the package has been lost by the courier and we need to file a claim with our postal office. An email suffices to assuage our doubts. You don't need to write a full statement; just a couple of lines is usually enough.

Some companies -and I am thinking about the chaps at the League of Ausburg, Warfare Miniatures and also they guys at Footsore Miniatures- are top notch at communications. They keep you posted of the status of your order in real time. If there is any problem, they are willing to work with you to solve it as soon as possible.

I wish that everyone would copy those business practices. I know that many "companies" are just a guy with a lot of enthusiasm and not a lot of time, so he will struggle to keep ahead of the emails and orders received; but that is something that we, the customers, at the other side of the line, don't know. Please, don't keep us in the dark regarding our orders.

Offline The Red Graf

• Scientist
  • Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
Re: Businesses should improve their comms with customers!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 03:02:58 PM »
I have lately been very frustrated by communications with a small company whose name ironically would seem to indicate that customers won't have any hassles at all.
Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 03:21:00 PM »
I agree. Obviously delays happen, stock runs out etc. But communication is the key here.

Actually if a business in the UK that you buy something online from, doesn't either send you the goods you have paid for or notifies the customer WHEN their goods are likely to be delivered within 30 days, unless a different agreement has been agreed to by both parties in the case of preorders, (iirc) they are in breach of distance selling regulations.

The customer must also be able to contact the vendor with ease as well...

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 03:56:17 PM »
Fair comments and I would certainly agree with the sentiments (I do sometimes forget to notify when orders are on their way but do so as soon as I remember).

Looking at it from another point of view a little thank you or something from the customer wouldn’t go amiss when their orders arrive  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 06:35:21 PM »
Did they have anything in the terms and conditions about how long delivery would be? They might have thought they were going to get the order to you in that time.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 08:28:51 PM »
Did they have anything in the terms and conditions about how long delivery would be? They might have thought they were going to get the order to you in that time.

No that I am aware of. However, it is not the delay by itself what bothered me. It was the lack of answers.

I have a shop, and I sell online. What my customers ask for is that I answer their questions as soon as possible; criticism comes when I fail to answer their queries on time. I have dozens of explanations why I might have been delayed in my answers, but the customers don't care. They just go with their bussiness elsewhere. In the current Internet market it is of paramount importance to answer your clients as soon as possible, and to communicate with them. Otherwise you risk losing them.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 09:05:20 PM »
For my money, BadSquiddo's current banner notifying customers of current shipping delays is one of the more fun ways I've seen to keep your customers informed.  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 11:33:03 PM »
No that I am aware of. However, it is not the delay by itself what bothered me. It was the lack of answers.

I have a shop, and I sell online. What my customers ask for is that I answer their questions as soon as possible; criticism comes when I fail to answer their queries on time. I have dozens of explanations why I might have been delayed in my answers, but the customers don't care. They just go with their bussiness elsewhere. In the current Internet market it is of paramount importance to answer your clients as soon as possible, and to communicate with them. Otherwise you risk losing them.

Sorry, yes I misunderstood a bit, now I've gone back and engaged my brain fully while reading I see it was the lack of any replies that was frustrating.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 12:56:52 AM »
Totally agree that communications are vital and not just a note on a website.  Most online traders specifically ask for the customers email address so it is only right that that email address be used to keep the customer informed as to the status of their order.

A minor point regarding items in the post is that in most countries if an item goes astray it is usually the sender that is required to claim not the (non)receiver.  The initial contract is with the sender because they have paid the shipping fee to have the item carried and then delivered by the courier/post office.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 06:31:54 AM »
Seriously?
You think customers should be thankful (and humbly tip their hat to show it) that the products they've already paid for have been delivered on time!?
Should they have been expecting something else?
If the seller wants to know the item has been delivered then they can track their own delivery with their postal service.

I show my thanks to a seller when I hand over my money before I even receive the item.
That's quite a relationship you are expecting off your customers, that they should be thankful (and show it!) that you are willing to sell to them and deliver on time.

Are you being aggressively serious or something else?

Quite a few of my customers ask for normal postage (especially those abroad), so yes, a little thank you to say it's arrived safe and sound wouldn't go amiss.

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 07:21:07 AM »
Not a fan of the way Humakt put it, but I have to agree that it is the seller's responsibility that the package reaches its destination (within reason). It's not the customer's responsibility to let them know, though it's nice of them to do so. They've put up the money, if they're feeling generous they can let the seller know, but they are under no obligation to do so.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 07:21:07 AM »
Seriously?
You think customers should be thankful (and humbly tip their hat to show it) that the products they've already paid for have been delivered on time!?
Should they have been expecting something else?
If the seller wants to know the item has been delivered then they can track their own delivery with their postal service.

I show my thanks to a seller when I hand over my money before I even receive the item.
That's quite a relationship you are expecting off your customers, that they should be thankful (and show it!) that you are willing to sell to them and deliver on time.

Blimey!!!   :o 

My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 07:24:17 AM »
but they are under no obligation to do so.

Never said they should be although it might, to some, have read like that  :)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 07:33:12 AM »
If I've traded or bought from the bazaar I will always look to notify when I've received something. I have, however, also emailed a retailer when I've received something that I've been particularly pleased with, as sometimes it's just been nice to do so. I've had some great replies that have made me feel glad I've done so, so I can see both sides (I had a lovely conversation with Denizen Miniatures). I certainly take the point about special orders though, as I've sent a few things abroad by 'random mail' myself instead of tracked and it can be a nervous experience.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 07:52:52 AM »
You might want to try and add a smiley next time.

:)