Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:20:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Grimdark Engines (40k)  (Read 634 times)

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
Grimdark Engines (40k)
« on: June 25, 2018, 06:51:02 PM »
In the Grim Darkness of the....yada yada yada.

Anyway, I started 40k back in 5th, fell out by 6th, heard endless horror stories of 7th but was brought back by 8th due to its simpler rules. I am (in my opinion) a bit of a dummy when it comes to wargames. I like 'em simple and to the point. I play maybe once a week and do so in the evening as a way to relax and connect with my gaming community so I tend to dislike needlessly complex systems (my WFB history being very similar to WFB history,  starting in 6th but only really playing by the early bits of 8th then dropping out due to insane escalation before jumping back in with AOS) and 8th is --generally-- better then its predecessors, albeit not as good as AOS (Millions of weapon profiles, why ?!!!).

I started from fresh having sold my counts as Marines Mantic Squat army many moons ago. Tried Guard this time, Cadian Guard to be specific, METAL Cadian Guard to be even more specific. However their still semi-painted so your getting Marines, 'cause who doesn't like Space Marines ? I think anyone who has ever played 40k has or does own a Space Marine army, it's just the done thing. Guard will arrive though eventually.

Now my Marine force initially started off as a unit or two to throw in with the Guard when 8th was initially released, this was before Soup lists became the 'in thing' (I am not a competitive player. At All.) but then evolved into a full force. It began with a single marine I decided to paint on a whim, a single metal model sold for 2nd hand at my FLGS.

His scheme was something fairly simple, one of the many chapters created by GW for alt-paint scheme ideas with a name and little fluff. These are the 'Death Strike' chapter, located on the planet Nihilas and are Imperial Fist descendants. My biggest issue with it was the chapter symbol which (as a metal model with built in shoulder pads) I couldn't cheat and use a raised symbol meaning I'd have to try freehand which I'm pretty terrible at. Now as you may have noticed the paintjob isn't great. I'm kind of a shit painter, I focus mainly on tabletop quality (as in, i'm standing at the table and look at it) since between a mixture of laziness, other hobbies and work I never have time to try and go for A+ painting. Though I also like the idea of various hobby magazines and such alike showing generic paintjobs since I feel its unrealistic to have every model look A+++.

Also I like Oldhammer...or Middlehammer depending on your definition and try to sprinkle in various models as and when I can. This Marine force for example features minis from the late 80's up to the most modern Primaris stuff.

Anyway, the marine above now has a different basing scheme since when I rejoined 8th they changed all the marines to be on bigger bases. I'll update as and when I can but it'll be long and slow as is the way with most of these things.