Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:50:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

Which is the preferred scale for VSF mass battles

28mm
38 (59.4%)
15mm
17 (26.6%)
10mm
4 (6.3%)
6mm
3 (4.7%)
Other (please state)
2 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: VSF mass battle scale choice  (Read 4009 times)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
VSF mass battle scale choice
« on: June 26, 2018, 05:06:37 AM »
As the questions states, I'm interested in which is the most popular scale for VSF mass battles i.e. games that include lots of flyers, tanks, figures (larger units, battalions etc as opposed to skirmish scale) etc.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Re: VSF mass battle scale choice
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 05:21:00 AM »
I am a 28mm guy nowadays
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 05:48:55 AM »
Have always been too heavily invested in 28mms to do anything else... coupled with a fairly ready availability of table-tennis tables to play on it's not been an issue. 15mm would be the saner choice though!
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 06:09:17 AM »
I wonder how much luck you'd have sourcing miniatures in anything other than 28mm. There are a few 15mm ranges floating about and of course plentiful historicals you could nick from for bog standard infantry. One or two odd companies do the smaller scales, but I think a lot of the noticeably steampunky stuff would have to DIY sourced and made.

I'd suggest choose the scale you like the look of the most and expect to have to create forces for both sides. It used to be that Dystopian wars did it in something like 1/1200 or there abouts (check me there) and also had their own line "35mm" figures (whose bright idea it was to create a scale unusable for anything else is beyond me). There's a reason the company behind it went belly up a while ago.

Between the loss of All Quiet on the Martian Front and the above mentioned Dystopian series, Steampunk mass battles have taken a beating on all sides. I'm happy with IHMN myself. :)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 06:12:51 AM »
It's for production not a project  :)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 08:36:20 AM »
If you want "mass battle" with battalions of troops, flyers and large war machines 1/48-1/54 is ridiculous unless you are going to play at the local parking lot or gymnasium floor.
Even with 1/100 (my favourite 15mm figures) you end up with a lot of abstraction and huge mismatch between figure and groundscale to get mass battle onto a gaming table.

For something encompassing to gamers with normal sized tables I would say 1/200 at the largest, but 1/300 would be better.  Then you can get a decent relationship between figure and groundscale which, while not accurate, at least looks appropriate with much less abstraction on what each figure casting or piece of scenery represents. Ideally something along the lines of "Spearhead" and its Modern and Great War versions.  Large, all arms mechanised battles with plenty of figures and vehicles on scenic tables.

You did not specify 1/900 as an option but that would give you greater mass battle effect and better groundscale but at the expense of the identifiable "toy soldier" appeal of the larger scales.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:38:24 AM by robh »

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 10:20:51 AM »
Common sense would say 15mm but what has common sense got to do with anything?  28mm for me!!!
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 10:38:32 AM »
Well I’d have to say for me 28mm because for VSF you want to see the uniforms, the gadgets, the steam vehicles, the Martian Tripods and the flyers in all their detailed glory...

"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 11:22:45 AM »
I would be leaning to 6mm or 10mm.

To me the two factors to balance are how small can the infantry be and still be easy enough to paint. If you want more detail in the infantry then 10mm is preferable, if a basic 1 colour paint job works then 6mm is great. But I would have thought for VSF uniforms with different coloured trousers and jackets then 10mm is better.

For vehicles / walkers / flyers its the opposite, how big is the biggest you want, and what size of model does that create in the two scales. For both Epic and Warmaster one of the great things is having the small troops, the medium vehicles and the huge monsters / titans. So you get the range in scale, without the largest ones being too big to fit on the table (or too expensive to buy). And of course if its mass battle you want lots of vehicles and a fair few of the largest walkers / monsters / whatevers.

28mm seems very popular on the poll - but I can't see this as a mass battle scale for this 'period'.

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 12:52:43 PM »
Interesting some people are ruling out 28mm (1/56 if you want a scale) for VSF big battles, just looking at the other areas of the LAF there’s 28mm Napoleonic, ACW, Anciet etc figures in big battles... but it’s a no no for VSF? 20-24 figs for a battalion, a steam tank or flyer represent several machines, a gun a battery and you can have a big battle on a 6’ x 4’ table in no time  :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 02:52:42 PM »
Common sense would say 15mm but what has common sense got to do with anything?  28mm for me!!!

Seconded!

28s all the way and we play on a largish table 6 x 8 or larger if we can. ;) lol

Anyone who says its not possible look at Captain Darlings examples of Napoleonic, ACW massed battles etc and to call it ridiculous is a little harsh.  There have been some truly impressive large games posted on the LAF over the years all using 28s.

Personally I don't think the very small scales 6mm etc do justice to the wonders of seeing VSF machines and steam tech.

But its all a matter of personal taste... :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 03:04:01 PM by Malamute »
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 04:01:24 PM »
Generally play 28mm, have more than a few, and will probably continue for 'small'ish mass battles, but am investing pretty heavily in 15mm.

Can't answer as 1) in transition, 2) want the the best of all worlds, c) I'm supposed to be consistent?

Doug

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 04:38:30 PM »
Well I’d have to say for me 28mm because for VSF you want to see the uniforms, the gadgets, the steam vehicles, the Martian Tripods and the flyers in all their detailed glory...

Agreed, 28mm for me too.

I could be tempted into 10mm for this type of game too - 10mm works very well of big, massed battles IMO, enough size for details an differentiation, but small enough to get lots of toys on the table.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 04:56:07 PM »
28mm for me, would like to see some massive 28mm VSF games featuring all sorts of glorious regiments and vehicles. Should be possible, looking at other large scifi, fantasy and historical games which are also played in 28mm.

Think the pricing would matter a lot as niche genres are often priced at a premium hence the smaller sized games always displayed. Should the pricing be right in my opinion (comparable with historical ranges let's say in the £1.50-£2.00 price range per mini), I might be interested in grabbing some cool miniatures/ units for the collection.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 11:56:34 PM »
I'd just like to clarify I have no issue with smaller figures I have large 6mm Napoleonics, ACW, FPW and WW 2 forces and some 10mm figures. I actually think these smaller figures give much more realistic looking battles on my table top for these eras...but that's the opposite of what I want from my VSF games! :D

This weekend I'm running a big FUBAR VSF full day game the biggest I've ever put on.