Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:28:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looters?  (Read 3147 times)

Offline JohanTh

• Lurker
Looters?
« on: June 26, 2018, 06:11:31 AM »
Hello everyone!

Long time reader, first time poster here.

As some of you know looting and pillaging was a huge part of the thirty years war.

so therefore I am looking for miniatures to represent this.

do anyone know of some miniatures that might fit?

the scale I am after is 28mm.

Thanks!

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
Re: Looters?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 07:06:32 AM »

Welcome aboard!

As for the minis, the first thing I can think of is Warlord Games' Landsknecht Looting Party:

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 10:00:07 AM »
I'm not aware of any TYW looters. I remember seeing some Croat looters on Phil Olley's website, but I'm pretty sure they were one-off conversions by Brian Rigelsford.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 10:15:07 AM »
What Paul said. If you want TYW looters, you'll have to convert existing figures. Phil's Croats were one-offs indeed and can still be seen on his (very inspirational) blog :

http://philswarcabinet.blogspot.com/p/archive-thirty-years-war.html

The Warlord landsknecht pack is one century too early and of no use for the TYW.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 10:38:17 AM »
It should be possible to come up with suitable figures to use as the basis of conversions for most of what you're after, but I suspect it will be relatively expensive, because you would have to buy a number of packs of figures. Foundry make an ECW artilleryman opening a box. Foundry also make two men carrying a petard in their ECW range which could presumably be converted into an item of loot. Also their ECW artillerymen carrying buckets could be converted into men carrying a heavy item of loot. In their ECW range they also make a figure walking with something on his back. Warlord also do a petard and I'm sure others have figures you could use. If I were wanting to do this I'd start by looking at packs of artillerymen, clubmen and civilians, because they tend to be in more unusual poses which can be converted more easily. I don't know of any ECW / TYW figures of men carrying off women I'm afraid.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 12:09:42 PM »
There are also Eureka Miniatures' Cossacks looting that will require a little tweeking too:
http://www.eurekamin.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=87_126_743_785_786&products_id=11445
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline JohanTh

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 05:16:21 PM »
Thanks for the help!

Yes the warlord ones are indeed nice but unfortunately a bit early!

wow, those Croats looks amazing! If my own attempts comes out looking only half as good I will be proud.

I guess my best bet may be to find some figures (maybe pirates?) carrying chests and stuff and trying to make them look like they are in the proces of stealing the belongings of some poor German farmers...

But is it not strange, considering what a large part of warfare looting was at the time that there are no figures around to represent it? although there may not be any rules (that I am aware of) that involves specific looters, a lot of the skirmish scenarios out there involves attacking supplywagons and such...   

Offline Carpathian

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 06:12:30 PM »
Old Glory pirate looters.   Inexpensive.

https://www.oldglory25s.com/view_product.php?product=OGP-16

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 09:34:45 PM »
But is it not strange, considering what a large part of warfare looting was at the time that there are no figures around to represent it? although there may not be any rules (that I am aware of) that involves specific looters, a lot of the skirmish scenarios out there involves attacking supplywagons and such...

Donnybrook can probably cover that aspect of TYW warfare if you tweak the set to accommodate the pre-1660 period.

Re the absence of dedicated figures, the fact that looting was a very nasty business may have something to do with most manufacturers' reluctance to add a 'sack of Magdeburg' character pack to their TYW ranges (unless they're Brother Vinni). A quick look at period engravings by Jacques Callot or contemporary paintings by Sebastiaan Vrancx will provide sobering reminders of the grim reality of what looting really implied - and that definitely wasn't jolly and good-natured rambunctious fellows making good their escape with lots of goodies on their backs and a hearty laugh in their throats. 

The notion of what is tasteful and what is not on a wargames table is an old chestnut - and a can of worms I'm definitely not interested in opening here - but without getting preachy or moralistic I'd say proper looters are something we can very well do without in miniatures. Regular figures in standard combat poses will suffice if you are interested in staging ambush scenarios involving wagons and supply trains.   
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 11:14:31 PM by Arthur »

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 04:49:46 AM »
I have an unfinished project of converting some plastic Warlord to make a unit of looters and campfollowers for a militia/ low quality unit.

When I first went looking for some I was surprised how many TYW looters and deserters I found as 30mm flats, but none for 28mm.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 07:22:21 PM »
It is interesting that there are specific looters for the Landsknechts, but not for their grandsons in the 30yrs War !

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 07:49:16 PM »
Old Glory Cossacks celebrating is a low key version ripe for conversion.

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 07:51:24 PM »
More pics of the Old Glory pirate looters on my blog from a while back;

http://www.deartonyblair.co.uk/2013/08/pirates-i-tell-youooh-arr-old-glory.html

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 12:55:53 AM »
Any Mob figure from OG would be suitable for conversion.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 03:28:49 PM »
As for another idea, how about converting a figure leading a pack horse, mule or donkey loaded with sacks and bags of loot?