Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:01:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689770
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First game of Space Hulk  (Read 755 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
First game of Space Hulk
« on: June 26, 2018, 04:21:00 PM »
As my little girl has taken an interest in daddy's games, the next one we played was Space Hulk (we played quite a few games of Hero Quest already, but also Advanced Hero Quest and Lionheart).

I could not find my 3rd ed copy anywhere (I later discovered it in my games cupboard; a slightly larger (model kit) box with a not so sturdy bottom had sunk almost entirely over it because of the weight on top of it, hiding it from casual view), so I took the tiles from my copy of Ultra Marines (which are the same as those in Space Hulk 1st ed) and my generic scifi troopers and bugs to pass as the Terminators and Genestealers, and they did an admirable job too.

It was another enjoyable game; we played the first scenarion from the Space Hulk 1st edition book. I simplified the rules slightly; no timer, and no command points; each trooper moved 4 squares per turn (bugs moved 6) and could shoot or CC before or after moving (exactly as in Space Crusade). No jamming, but halfway through, I introduced her to the joys of Overwatch, and she made excellent use of it lol

When she was born, I had the hope she would eventually enjoy playing my games, but I had not anticipated this amount of enthousiasm, and she has caught me completely off guard. I wanted to ready the games that got me into the hobby (Hero Quest and Space Crusade) with a fully painted complement of miniatures and recreated 2 1/2 D game boards, and now we're playing all of those games with the original components! But we're having a blast playing them and that's what's really important ;)

Still; I'm going to make those boards anyway, it's a matter of pride now! :D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:04:42 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Re: First game of Space Hulk
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 04:50:21 PM »
Amazing! My little girl is only 2 but I have the same hope!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: First game of Space Hulk
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 08:23:20 AM »
Cheers :)

Mine's just turned five, but she has been enthusiastically painting with me for two years already as well.

So I gather it won't be long before you can share some quality time with your daughter too. Just make sure she does it all out of her own volition and don't push. It's got to be fun for her (you won't be doing much painting of your own at first ;) ).

I have the luxury that my hobby stuff can be left in place, readily visible for her, so she took an interest in 'daddy's  dollies' very early, and she really wanted to emulate what she saw me doing, and that became our first dedicated father-daughter activity.

Just don't overestimate a two- or three year old's attention span! lol

+++EDIT+++ Just found the thread in which I chronicled our first painting session together; apparently she was just two and a half years old at the time. Tempus Fugit, etc... ::)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:34:35 AM by Daeothar »