Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:59:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686553
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cryptids and monsters for Dracula's America  (Read 4294 times)

Offline Davies

• Librarian
Cryptids and monsters for Dracula's America
« on: June 26, 2018, 05:53:10 PM »
Howdy, folks! Inspired by Dracula's America (great game, neat rules and a world with lot of character), I began to sculpt some monsters I miss from the bestiary, searching on North America folklore and legends and choosing my favorites.

The small ones are here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axehandle_hound
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teakettler

The big ones are the Jersey devil, the Hodag, the Mothman and the Parlangua (a Louisiana alligator-man). All of them are more or less sculpted, so there is a lot of WIP in the pictures. Here is the Devil (40mm to the ears, its little bat wings are scuplted apart)

I haven't got casting intentions, but who knows...What I know right now is that I need some advice from the wise sculptors of the forum, please. In case of an hypothetical casting: what is the best position for the Jersey devil tail? Straight or screwed, touching the base? These are my first sculpts at this size and I have no idea.

Criticism are more than welcomed.
Thanks in advance!

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
Re: Cryptids and monsters for Dracula's America
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 07:18:16 AM »
Great sculpts! Axehandle hound and Teakettler are cute.  :D

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 07:22:23 AM »
Very nice sculpts, love the Teakettler!
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 08:07:42 AM »
Great sculpting. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Davies

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 03:02:32 PM »
Thanks to all of you for your comments. Glad the teakettler have some love.
Here are the Wisconsin hodag (or at least my rendition of it) Need to finish the claws in the upper leg and the mane.

(Yes, it broke one of its horns fighting with a bigfoot, but I could fix it if there are some concern about)

The (I think) finished Jersey devil, with its wings being still a WIP.

Finally, the wicked parlangua. https://youtu.be/KdpZowQOHfI

I really hate this sculpture. I mean, I think is an improvement over my previous   sculptures, but the concept is so far of how I imagine the monster and of my sketches that I'm going to make it again.

Comments and criticism are more than welcomed. Thanks in advance,
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 04:16:46 PM by Davies »

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 01:36:56 PM »
These are brilliant!  :-*

The teakettler and axehandle hound will make good Lesser Summons, and the Parlangua would fit in with book 3- how big is he? And what aren't you happy with- it looks like a great little sculpt to me!

The Hodag is spot-on as well (probably my favourite of them all)- I'm currently writing some rules for the Jersey Devil, so you are ahead of the game there!

Do you have any other Cryptids planned?
I now have a Blog, like an actual modern-day human!
https://lead-mountaineer.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Davies

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 11:24:05 PM »
Thank you sir, what an honour to have a comment of the creator himself. 8)

I don't think in specific rules or uses when I am modelling the critters, I just sculpt the creatures I would like to see in the game. The Parlangua is already sculpted when I read Forbidden Power and I found the alligator-man. It is the same creature under another name. My version seems a bipedal alligator, the size of  a man (25mm base, then), I see it more like a human with scales and jaws.

I have sculpted (but not finished yet or not satisfied with the result), to the date:
-Five versions of the Mothman, every one of them ugly as hell. I find very difficult to make something different from a furry triangle with skinny legs and big eyes.
- Two different versions of the Wampus Cat: the Cherokee woman with feline attributes, protector of the tribes, and the horrid six-legged panther.
- Two versions (big and small) of the Snallygaster https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snallygaster
- A Squonk, only because my wife want it one of these poor fellows in the gaming table.

I don't know what to do with the sculptures. Maybe when IŽll finish them there are somebody interested in casting them, or maybe I simply glue them into a base, paint them and use your Jersey Devil rules to play in our home!

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 04:54:56 AM »
The honour is mine- still can't quite believe how many folks have gotten behind DA!  :o

But enough back-slapping- I really hope that you manage to get some of these cast-up, as they are very characterful models! Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with- any pictures of the Mothman, Wampus Cat etc to share?

Play-testing the Jersey Devil has been good fun- just be wary of it's unearthly shriek!  ;)

Offline Paboook

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 02:22:44 PM »
Some really nice sculpting there. The Jersey Devil is super neat :)

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 05:41:10 PM »
The honour is mine- still can't quite believe how many folks have gotten behind DA!  :o

But enough back-slapping- I really hope that you manage to get some of these cast-up, as they are very characterful models! Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with- any pictures of the Mothman, Wampus Cat etc to share?

Play-testing the Jersey Devil has been good fun- just be wary of it's unearthly shriek!  ;)
Handful of armed  hillbilly miniatures an could wargame mountain men  monster hunters  lol

Offline Luisito

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 01:59:52 AM »
Hi

Did you manage to sculpt a mothman ?

thanks