Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:53:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Troops, Weapons & Tactics AAR - July 1944  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
Troops, Weapons & Tactics AAR - July 1944
« on: June 28, 2018, 09:42:59 AM »
Well we revisited TW&T again this fortnight using a scenario I found online. This is the second game of TW&T for our group but I have a couple of extra games up my sleeve. We wanted to really test the rules out.

July 1944 an Allied offensive around Caen has splintered the German defences. The British are attempting to push forward to find gaps that they can exploit, whilst the thinly spread German second line is attempting to stand firm until reinforcements can be brought up...

Turned out to be an easy German victory as the poor Brits suffered trying to cross virtually open ground and drawing the short straw with the cards and random events! The rules worked well and the game raced by we'll be using these again soon and trying out the new version of them CoC...

Germans watching the Tommies advance...

Just as the British mortar support got into the show a blaze broke out in a derelict building and the smoke obscured their view!

The full report with more pictures is on the TSOG Blog...
http://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com/2018/06/some-more-tw-1944-aar-into-woods.html
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:02:15 PM by Captain Darling »
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
Re: Troops, Weapons & Tactics AAR - July 1944
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 10:58:46 AM »
I'm impressed that you managed to get so far with the ruleset... I tried it with my gaming group... we found it practically unplayable.

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 07:14:29 AM »
Interesting S_P we found TW&T ran very smoothly! I have played IABSM as well a similar card driven Lardy set of rules that shares a lot with TW&T  maybe that helped. I suppose its horses to courses the rules worked for us but obviously not others. We'll play with them again...

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 10:10:38 PM »
Whilst I appreciate that the friction in the game is entierely realistic I found that the games we tried playing had so much in that nothing happened.

The Brits advanced towards the few buildings held by the Germans got shot at and then went to ground and both sides then traded ineffective shots at each other for 2 hours. Very realistic but I'd get more from a book describing such an action rather than playing it through.

Good job that CoC is a much better game.